1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist View of Drinking and Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

It means one of the dishes in the potluck contains wacky tobacky.

So the "luck"y choose the right main dish :D

#101 Joe, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

California is kinda' "far out", I agree, but I don't think it is in Japan, as of yet.

However, give it a couple of Magnitude 10s along the San Andreas fault line, and just maybe...

Ed

P.S. Or maybe the info on Joe is merely not up to date... :D

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Only on the pages of the Baptist Board could a "booze" thread get derailed by "pot." :rolleyes:

Ed

4. Joe

Joe New Member

No, the thread didn't get derailed, even though you have quoted my post again. It's still only two posts from waht I see.

This is your second negative comment to me through your chiming in. (Unless the first post addressing me was a mistake, it appeared so)

Is there a problem?

#104 Joe, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arnold Believes as You Joe!

As a fellow Callie-fornian, I too believe our laws apply across the board in every state and nation :laugh: .

Pastor Paul

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My brother lives in CA and one thing I have learned is that it is like a different country in many ways as far as laws go.

Of course there are about as many people in California and there are in Canada.

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Bible says:
    "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing;..." II Cor. 6:17

and if you don't feel convicted...

"But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak." I Cor 8:9

8. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Do you really think it is okay to promote/condone the use of an illegal substance on a Christian board? I think Ed's trying to point this out nicely. Pot affects people just as negatively as alcohol does...believe me, just about everyone in my family smoked it when I was growing up. The only difference is alcohol is legal and pot isn't. So, you really shouldn't be advising people to use an illegal substance that will cause them a lot more damage than a glass of wine or one beer will.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No, there is no problem with you, from me, at least.

I have over 5K posts. To my knowledge, I have none that are "negative comments" directed at anyone, only subjects under discussion, in any given thread. If I have seemed to "make it personal", it was not and is not intended, on my part.

I have also agreed with some of your (and others) posts, as well. But that is again as to subjects, and is not intended as an indictment of one you are ccommenting toward, nor is it meant to be a personal endorsement of or to anyone, when I agree with something that has been said.

I was merely commenting that eight pages were in the thread, before "MaryJane" entered the discussion. From reading the posts, I think you were the first to mention it in post #85. (I'll admit I could be wrong on this, and am not going to reread every post to double check, after reading them and glancing over them again, already.) And this was actually the first time I commented on one of your posts, in the thread. My previous comment was directed at another who "placed you in Japan", when I thought you were in California, which apparently you actually are. The other poster later corected himself, as to your location.

The post may not have gotten derailed, but it does appear some of the spikes holding the track in place, are getting a bit loose, as this train rumbles along. I'll see if I can find my sledge and tighten up a few of the spikes, before the next car passes over the rail in question.

Ed

#109 EdSutton, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2008
  10. Joe

Joe New Member

Thanks for the explanation and the apology at the other post. It was certainly a misunderstanding, something I didn't think about when using Joe as a user name. Feel free to continue to agree or disagree :thumbs:

11. Joe

Joe New Member

What is this, a joke? Did you read the post before replying?

As my post stated many times, I do not agree with drugs being used for non-medicinal purposes, including alcohol. But I don't view it as sin necessarily either.

No again. He would not misunderstand as you have. He generally reads posts before responding.

Interesting. I also grew up in a similar household, smoking weed at times as a very young child, but as I got into middle school, became and remained very straight. I don't count those early years, don't remember them well. After that, at my age of accountablity (11yrs up) I smoked pot very rarely. Grew up around drugs, family and friends, including my own friends using drugs and alcohol, know it well. Never cared for it.

If you read my post, it is citing the dangers of alcohol such as it often causes violent behavior. Any cop can attest to the damage of alcohol being much worse than marijuana. Domestic violence, child abuse, killings, assult are not caused by stoners. We have one retired Cop who posts here. Where we live, marijuana is perscribed for everything from headaches to a stubbed toe. There are no regulations, so it's being misused as a social drug. It is legal to buy it from an authorized friend, most here buy it from people they already know who are authorized to grow and sell it. It's a small town, people know one another. All you need is a perscription, but of course, some don't have it though it is easy to get. We have no marijuana pharmacies, just a marijuana club. The wholeset-up is very shabby. Ordinary people acting as pharmacists to other "patients'

Wrong again. Marijuana is legal in MANY states. Aren't you a law student?
    We already had a misunderstanding due to your not reading my posts. Either read them fully before attacking or posting anything negative, or don't reply to them at all. Or at least ask for clarification first. I may edit the post later. Ed just posted to me using the word Joe, yet it wasn't directed at me. Somehow I just knew he wouldn't talk to me that way, so please give me the benefit of the doubt.

Weed is legal in many STATES and it doesn't cause more damage than a glass of wine or beer. (To one's health or society at large)

#111 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Only ten - and they are for medicinal purposes. Recreational use is never legal.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

True... :)

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh - thanks, I think... .

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not exactly what we usually think of or describe as "a prescribed (or controlled) substance", to say the least.
    That is at best, an opinion, and does not happen to be one held by all members of either the medical community and/or society, at large, FTR.

I am neither knowledgeable enough nor informed enough to make such a determination for or against, personally, so will not add my own ignorance to the debate.

Ed

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Imo, we need to take a stand against all recreational drugs (including alcohol), legal or not. Drugs should be used for medicinal uses only. Drugs are not healthy.

To legalize any drug, marijuana or alcohol, for non-medicinal uses is wrong. Both are very potent and a person needs to be under a Doctors care before taking any significant amount (such as a glass of wine). Their family medical history should be examined to determine if it is in their best interests. Whether legal or not, if someone needs that drug to remain healthy, they should have a right to it.

Lest I be viewed as self-righteous, my sins are no worse than the drinkers on this BB board. In fact, I believe my sins may be equal or easily much worse than just drinking a glass of wine! :confused:

And no one has "promoted alcohol" or drugs on this board from what I see. Just stood their ground in a debate. But what does it tell the world, the one's who cannot handle the drink? The people pre-disposed to becoming alcoholics because Daddy and Grandpa were? Why forsake them?

I am not convinced drinking alcohol is sin. Bible verses appear to condradict one another. Yet I see how in most circumstances, it is sin. Verses warn us against alcohol, then appearing to view it as ok. To be safe, it appears best to avoid it. Especially if our salvation is at stake.

It isn't healthy to society at large for people to be ingesting drugs unnecessarily. This is my last post, thanks to everyone for their patience :)

#116 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Even coffee? ;)

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coffee is medicine. Isn't it?

HankD

19. Joe

Joe New Member

..................:)

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Your reply...
    I underlined (in your post) what I am responding to-

The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
    "Among violent crimes the offender is far more likely to have been drinking than under the influence of other drugs, with the exception of robberies where other drugs are as almost as likely to have been used as alcohol."http://www.ncadd.org/facts/fyicrime.html

Yes, alcohol is clearly causes more damage to society at large than weed. This includes health wise yet I am not in the mood to research it. Both drugs, imo, ought to be avoided except for medicinal uses only. Hopefully, we can agree with this. If not, agree to disagree then.

#120 Joe, Jan 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.