1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist views of church-state separation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not true. Islam cannot freely practice here. Neither can some brands of Orthodox Judaism. How about Catholicism as it existed 400 years ago? Mormonism in Utah before it became a state?

The cornerstone of our liberty is the Protestant Christian religion. That's the religion that says that one is not to be compelled by force to assent to one religion or another, nor be prevented from teaching against it. Muslims would behead infidels, Orthodox Jews would stone the blasphemer, and don't think that the Vatican wouldn't lick it's chops at the prospect of burning Protestants at the stake again.

As soon as the legislature says "You cannot __(fill in the blank)__, " one religion has been preferred over another.

God says to the nations, Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Christ told His disciples, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations . . . to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.

To think that secularism is the father of our liberties is a grievous error. Not only is it factually wrong, but it is also a sin. Preferring the Son over any system that would deny His Lordship is the only way to establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, and provide for the common welfare.

2. alatide

alatide New Member

Notice I said "in a free country." I didn't specify one. If Christianity is the only religion that can freely practice here as you claim why do we delude ourselves by calling the United States a free country? We should call America a Christian Theocracy. I would certainly fight against that but in my "rendering unto Caesar" role. Living out my Christian life has nothing to do with what kind of country we are.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A classic example of living a dual heretical life. There is no such thing as a Christian life and a secular life. Trying to accommodate the secular antithetical to the Christian walk.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for your proof

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It seems lots of issues are getting mixed up in this thread, when they are seperate. First of all, keeping government and church seperate is defined by the Bill of Rights. The government does not establish a religion, and stays out of the business of local churches. That is a seperate issue and not related to Christian citizens trying to steer the government to Christian principles and common sense.

Also, while some have been emphasizing us as individuals in our Christian walk, and how the government does not matter, read Scripture again. God judges and uses nations as He sees fit. Look at our country today for example. We are the most blessed in history. He has squashed countries for what we are doing today. How long is a Holy God going to allow the wholesale slaughter of the innocent and the alternate life styles, to mention two. That does not even start on our self centered, cry baby attitudes.

Yes, fifty years ago abortion and alternate life styles existed. But then, we did not condone it. It was not talked about and hidden. We went from that to freely talking then bragggin about it. Now, we have evolved to government passing laws to condone such actions, legalization of flagerant sin. It is like we are rubbing God's nose in it.

For those looking up to the sky, make sure you do not see the big thumb coming down. When the Lord says its over, its over. Ask Saul.

6. alatide

alatide New Member

I suggest you reread the initial post.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Baptist views of church-state separation: Q & A with Brent Walker
    By Robert Marus
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009

WASHINGTON (ABP) -- Baptists have, since their earliest days, been advocates of religious liberty and its corollary, the separation of church and state. But different groups of modern-day Baptists in the United States interpret church-state separation -- and the Constitution’s provisions for it -- in different ways.

Brent Walker, executive director of the Washington-based Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, explains in an interview the differences between Baptist groups on this issue.

Q: What are the main schools of thought on church-state separation in the United States, and how do different Baptist groups fall on those lines?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, talking about how and why Christians should vote and act with regard to politics as Christians, is off-topic. I think we're all in agreement on that. I certainly agree with it. The topic, however, is separation of church and state.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I think I will skip that suggestion. I have never in my life seen such a misunderstanding of the relationship of church to state, history, and American society.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't be deluded by your Orwellian doublespeak, so don't even try. The U.S. was implied.

Because it's the truth that makes free. Only where the true religion is free to practice unhindered by civil government can mankind be truly free.

You're defining freedom as freedom from Christ.

Well, we are a nation of kings and priests.

No, but it will certainly determine whether you practice your faith freely or in bonds. It may even determine your longevity.

9. alatide

alatide New Member

That's the topic of this thread. I didn't introduce it. If you don't want to discuss it you're off topic.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here's your sign.

11. alatide

alatide New Member

I was the author. No, the US was not implied. Just another one of your distortions.