1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist vs. Methodist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by birdlover99, Mar 3, 2016.

1. birdlover99

birdlover99 New Member

I am getting married in September and have to find a church to please both of our families. Mine is Baptist and his is Catholic. I follow Baptist and he considers himself christian but won't commit to one particular denomination. I understand and respect this but to satisfy our religious differences, we decided to get married in a Methodist church. We both wish to be married in the eyes of god but want to also find a church for the both of us. The pastor(who happens to be a woman) has invited us to church but I don't know anything about Methodists.
    On another dimension, we both want to find a church but I am Baptist but he doesn't want to follow the Baptist. He wants to go to the Methodist church. I feel a little uncomfortable going as it's so different and I don't know anything about it. The big things that make me uncomfortable are infant baptisms, lent, ash Wednesday. I don't know much more about it tho.
    Can someone please tell me the differences between Methodists and Baptists? What do you think?

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably the bigger issue is the differences between Baptists and Catholics. While there is a diversity of "Baptists," even as there is a diversity of Catholics, there is usually a general division on some major issues. I would say attending a Methodist Church is probably a better choice than attending a Catholic Church (and this from a doctrinal view, not trying to be disparaging about Catholics as a people), the first question I would ask is have you two received counseling from any of the named denominations?

An even more important question I would ask is if you understand how one is saved? Do you, and your fiance, have a relationship with Christ? That is the relationship which should take precedence over all others, and suggest to you that this is the only true way to be "married in the eyes of God."

The problems you may be building into your marriage by marrying one of a faith so diverse is that, while both of you may be willing to forsake the faith you have been associated with thus far, that may change later down the road, when one of you has a "revival" of sorts. Often people return to the faith they grow up under, so the question I pose to you, should your husband decide that he is going to return to the faith he grew up in, are you going to join him in that? Are you going to be willing to embrace Catholicism in order to maintain peace in your home.

That's just a possibility.

The big question is should this (your relationship with God) be important in your lives at this stage? Or do you think this is something you can work out as you go? Many take this approach, some do okay, others not so well.

As far as the differences between Baptist and Methodist, you may have come to the right place, lol. Some of the guys here have a great knowledge of Church History and may be able to give some good description of those differences (though I am sure we are going to find a diversity among them as well).

Hope you don't take this the wrong way (this post), but I view marriage as needing a foundation of relationship with the Lord first, for that is the priority in regards to relationships in this life. If that relationship isn't right, neither will the others. While I don't think I would try to dissuade you from marriage, I think both of you should do your due diligence in first understanding what relationship with God involves, then how that applies in the marriage. It may be that you find out that you are not necessarily a Baptist, and he is not necessarily a Catholic, lol.

Good luck in your marriage, and I pray God guide you both in the proper course of action.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you need to reconsider the decision to marry. This seems to be a major pitfall.
    Of course the age old question - how will the children be raised?
    Its easy to say, I will convert him -but if you was unable to do it before the wedding, it will be harder
    to do so after.
    You say he considers himself a Christian, but more importantly has he actually been born again.
    Please consider some deep soul searching - and be sure the Lord wills shall be the determine factor.

• Like Like x 1