1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist vs. Presbyterian

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by chipsgirl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

My Daddy says that his Cumberlin Presbyterian preacher father (My Grampa) always noticed that after their congregation sang "Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown", the Baptist church (1/2 mile up the road) would loudly sing, "No Not One, No Not One".

Sounds about right.

Lacy

2. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is informative. Perhaps a new thread could be started on the differences between the Baptists and Methodists.

Aloha.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or you could start the shortest thread in BB history. The similarities between Baptists and Methodist: many of them have Sunday services at 11:00 am.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FOS, good helpful post relevant to the question. I'd like to add a few comments.
    I think the idea that most Baptists are pre-trib pre-millenniallists is a misconception based on a vocal minority actively and consistently promoting their views more than the others (and more likely to make it a "fellowship" issue). Baptists are all across the spectrum on this issue, though not too many are postmillennialists or preterists.
    The closed table is fast losing its predominant position among Baptists.
    The majority of Baptists could probably be called "two-point" Calvinists, holding total depravity and final preservance (or eternal security), while rejecting the other three points. I've heard the Cumberland Presbyterian position might be similar. Does anyone know?
    I agree, though the best choice of words might be "formal education", since all scholarship and education does not come in a formal setting. The point is very valid. While a particular Baptist church might choose to set some kind of educational requirements, there are no "Baptist educational requirements" required for ordination, only that the candidate meets the recommendation of the ordaining presbytery and approval of the local church.

5. Smoky

Smoky Member

This is true, Cumberland Presbyterians believe in universal atonement and that "whosoever will may come". They rejected the Calvinism of the Westminster Profession during the second great awakening of the early 1800s and drew up their own. http://members.aol.com/mleslie598/confession.html#Scripture

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information, Smoky.

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Just to throw a little wrench in the works, I'll add the Primitive or Old Baptist distinctions to the list. :D

Church Government:

Same as other Baptists in theory, but more often than not in our churches the church votes on every issue and no decisions are made without approval and vote of the whole church body.

Church Services:

Informal. Church building in particular. Though we do have a certain flow to the service. Singing, prayer, preaching, shaking hands while singing, prayer, lunch! :D

Theology:

New Covenant

Eschatology:

I've never been all that familiar with the different " -mills" so I'll tell you in my own words that most of us believe that we are currently in the "millenial" reign of Jesus and that it is not a literal 1,000 year reign. The 2nd coming will be the end of this earthly reign. I've never gotten consistent answers to the differing "mill" definitons, so put me in whichever group you think best fits.

Baptism:

An ordinance. Full immersion by an ordained minister of our faith is the only accepatble baptism. My pastor was actually dunked twice because his hair didn't go all the way under. He wouldn't have that problem now. He's as slick as a cue ball. :D

Lord's Table:

Ordinance to consist of unleavened bread, fermented wine, and followed by footwashing, although most churches see footwashing as more of a "directed suggestion" than an ordinance. Lord's Supper must also be administered by an ordained minister of our faith. We are close communion with other churches of our faith.

View of Salvation:

Most would call us hyper-calvinist. I prefer to call us Bible-believing. We believe the 5 points of Calvinism, if you make the 5th Preservation rather than Perseverance. We believe it is Christ's perseverance that keepsus saved, not our own. If Christ is persevering, then that is the same as preserving because he can not fail.

Confessions:

I don't know of any church that doesn't have their own Articles of Faith. Each church writes their own and all are usually some form of all of the rest.

Social/Political Issues:

Very conservative, though in the South I would venture to say that there are as many Democrats as Republicans, especially in the older generation, simply because "that's what Papa was." My grandmother was an example of this until I had her watch John Kerry on the TV. She could not believe a Democrat could be for such things as abortion, gay marriage, etc, etc. It was shocking to her. Abortion and homosexuality are seldom preached on, but I have heard them on occassion. The pulpit is not a political forum.

Scholarship/Education:

I no of no Elder who went to a seminary, though I know of a good number who went to college for a different degree. I would say probably 40% of ministers in the PB church went to college. Our ministers our selected by watching them "grow" and preach for several congregations for many years. I would guess that on average an Elder excercises his gift for 10 years or more before being ordained.

Calling to Ministers:

Of course God does the calling, but the church does the recognizing. Most young men will be asked to take part in the services, take about 15 minutes or so before an Elder. This is how we determine who is called to preach. Those who are not will either show that they're not called (they won't be able to preach/the Spirit isn't there directing them) or they may ask the Elder not to call on them. There seems to usually be a "feeling" between the young man and the Elders of the church when he is called to preach. I can't explain it if you've never been in that position before.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters too much, but these are classic Old Baptist views.

Bro. James (we are sounding more like conservative Presbyterians in doctrine than modern Baptists :D )

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I forgot to add, we don't have musical instruments; we preach extemporaneously; we expect our members and our ministers to meet and hold biblical guidelines for remaining in the ministry and the church; we don't typically have full salaried ministers; we have congregational singing with no choirs or soloists; we don't have "altar calls" in the modern sense, but we always announce that the church doors are always open to receive new members if anyone wants to join; associations have no control whatsoever over the churches in them, other than to admit or dismiss them fro the association (infact, my church isn't even in one and never has been).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

God bless. Bro. James

PS My best friend is Presbyterian. He has been bugging me for years to go to church with him. His pastor is a woman and I rold him I could probably put up with a lot of the things there, but listening to a woman tryto preach is something I will not do. He asked me why, so I showed him in the scripture where a woman is not suffered to teach, nor to usurp a man's authority, and she is remain quiet in the church. My mother asked him ehat his church thought about that verse. He said, "I don't think we believe that part." [​IMG] Maybe you had to be there.

(I forgive him for things like that, and I don't typically argue with him, because he's got a neurological disorder. He's also the nicest guy and the best friend I've ever had outside of my church family. I've known him since 6th grade. We were both teased a lot all through school and being friends made it easier to bear. I wish everyone could have a friend like that.) Anyway, that concludes my rant about friendship. :D [​IMG]

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

James - You're right, in many ways you sound more Presbyterian than Baptist.

If you want to visit a Presbyterian church with your friend, you will feel more comfortable in either a PCA or an OPC church, which are more conservative denominations than the larger PCUSA denomination (that's not to say that there aren't good churches within the PCUSA). There are eight PCA churches in Houston - with the larger ones being SW Presbyterian, Christ the King, and Covenant.

Thanks for sharing about the Primitive Baptists - I learned something today.