1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist???

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Prince of Preachers, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Maybe, Im having a midlife crisis [​IMG]

2. Lone Pilgrim

Lone Pilgrim New Member

Wasn't the French Church referred to in the 1644 Confession an Anabaptist connection? According to some accounts Calvin said he was a Waldensian at one point. Others believe this Church brought its beliefs and influenced others in the 1644. And I remember reading that not all Anabaptists were Arminian. Some southern Anabaptists were predestinarian, being influenced by either the Waldenses and/or the Albigenses. I don't really have the time to get into all this and it takes a great deal of time. As far as I'm concerned each historian has his bias. I'm not concerned with "reforming the mother church". I tire of being asked, "how reformed are you?", when I don't consider myself "reformed". I'm a Baptist, first and foremost. Whatever the logic, I'm not trying to be a protestant, or get back to Rome. I respect all, just paint me another color. LP

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not aware of a reference to a French church in the 1644 Confession.

[ December 20, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

4. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Well, Im back to being Kiffin again. Calvin's mentor was a Waldenses though the Waldenses by the time of the Reformation had begun to imbrace paedobaptism. I am not aware of any Anabaptist group that was Predestinarian in the Augustine or Waldensian sense. My reading of the Anabaptists seem to show they were classical Arminians. There has never been proven any direct connection between the Anabaptists and the Waldenses ...though it might be possible but the evidence seems lacking.

Is the French church you referring to called the Huguenots?

5. Lone Pilgrim

Lone Pilgrim New Member

The Petit France Church is the one mentioned. Bro. Ella or Doctor Pound was doing research in this area to substantiate Calvin's Waldensian influence in regards to his beliefs on predestination. In general it was more paedo, but Dr. Pounds belief was that the predestinarian doctrine & beliefs came through the Petit France to the other six churches mentioned in the preface to the 1644. I've done some reading on this online, but it's been a couple of years ago now. It may have been through the Old Faith Baptist Library, but I'm not completely sure about it now.