1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists and Patriotism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by av1611jim, Apr 14, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am offering this here in this forum because historically it was Baptists who championed freedom in this land. It was our local church polity which was the framework for the Bill of Rights as well as other historical documents. I think this man has some very good thoughts for us.
    I would like to share them with you and see what you think.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/marvinolasky/mo20050414.shtml

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I believe that as Christians we should focus on Christ's command that we should be "in this world but not of this world." We are also commanded to "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's." Therefore Christians participate in our nation's governing and political processes but that should not be our primary motivation.

I would far rather win someone over to Christ than to enlist them in my political party. I'm afraid that that's not the opinion of many in our churches today. They seem to think the battle is with the other party or with "liberals." The Bible says our battle is with powers and principalities not with flesh and blood. Many think you're not a christian if you don't belong to their political party or support a given war. None of these things were even remotely addressed by Jesus during His ministry here on earth.