1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists are killing themselves!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Dec 9, 2006.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the ignorance and venom of this post is indicative of your so called "love" please for all that is holy and just, don't love me!

BTW, if you are referring to the Catholic church it should be capitalized, otherwise catholic simply means universal

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

From the article it appears that they believe in Baptist distinctives, and claim to be Baptist but removed the name form the sign so as to "remove any obstacles".

In essence they are willing to misrepresent themselves in order to mislead unsuspecting people about who they are in order to give them an opportunity show their love?

They dont want people to think they are Baptist because that will turn some away but they are Baptist. Growing up my parents taught me this is lying. Their intent is to hide being what they are until a later time.

Lying and deceiving an unsuspecting public is not the asnwer to their problem. They could be getting out in the community and be involved in a loving way. Mow a lawn for an elderly person, repair the roof. deliver a washer and dryer for a single mom who has to spend countless hours at the public laundry facility with her kids. Start a homeless facility arranging for needed assitance such as temp housing, food, clothing etc. Serve the community and show the love of God. Removing the name is not only deceitful it is lazy.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Many Christians come and belong to our church only because they: enjoy the worship service, receive spiritual food from the sermon and Bible study, enjoy the fellowship and the oppurtunities to serve. With these Christians, the church having a Baptist name has nothing to do with it. Some still come even though it is called a Baptist church.

The important thing is that they are Christians, not that it is a Baptist church. I am a Christian who just happens to belong to a Baptist church. My theology is scripture based, not denomination based.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to your ways then you must post on the church building, "We are opposed to Catholics because they preach a false gospel." For many years Catholics have known Baptists as anti-Catholic. Is that a lie of you do not tell that truth?

When you share your faith do you tell them in some of your first words that if they do not accpet Jesus they are going to hell.

If you do notice in scripture that Jesus dealt with the Sadducees only using the Torah. With the Pharisees he used all of the OT. Is that wrong in that he did not use the entire Bible with the Sadducees. If you went to some countries as a missionary you would notice that they do not have the book of Revelation. Is that wrong?

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ah, yes, the "God loves the 1950's" model. I figured this was where this was headed.

Our church has strong Biblical preaching, and music that spans from AD 300 (we have a great arrangement of "Of the Father's Love Begotten) to today. We use every instrument imaginable--from the organ to the bagpipe, to the ungodly, evil guitar.

Choirs are not mentioned in the New Testament. Neither are organs.

We do not sacrifice the rich theology of good hymns. But there are numerous hymns with rotten theology. There are also rotten praise songs, and some fantastic ones.

Our church does not seek to throw out something because it's a few years old. But neither does it condemn the "new song" that we can sing, simply because it's not old.

Much of your generalizations are extra-biblical and based on preference, not Scripture. "I don't like it" is a perfectly fine opinion to hold regarding that. "It is wrong" is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Great post!

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I am glad that your church has discovered: "Of the Father's Love Begotten" that truly beloved hymn of the early Church that had been lost for over 1600 years . . .

Was that what you meant?

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yep.

Of course, the melody was lost to history, but the words are incredible.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wow . . .

I gotta come hear a whole church chanting in Greek with an Alabaman accent.

That has got to be something out of this world!

Merry Christmas!

Wayne

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

If you are coing to correct me then please do! But please correct what I am wrong about. Better yet, take your bible and show me I am wrong. BTW, I do love you!:thumbs:

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

When your right, your right!

12. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I do not attack your individual church as I do not know it. Use what ever instruments you please to worship God. If it edifies Him you have it right. If it edifies you, it is wrong. I am not trying to turn this thread into a music debate. But I will say that when your worship music lacks biblical doctrine and is just a bunch of touchy feely praise him and adore him stuff, or is pure rock under the name christian, it is garbage!

If your church is uniting with others in the love of Christ rather than the truth of Gods word, it is unbiblical. If you are dropping your walls of division because the truth is not important and building bridges of love inorder to unite, you are wrong. Plain and simple!

If your church is luvin it up with Catholics and it is ok, you are wrong!

Don't get angry with the messenger. Show me with your bible that this behavior can be justified. I defy you to show me that this type of unity is biblical. Baptists for the most part that are changing their names are lilly livered compromisers void of any ability to stand up for what they believe. Not All! But most!

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

You don't? Sounds like an attack to me...especially unwise for two reasons:
    1. It is dangerous to call something that God is doing "of satan," "garbage" or the like. Just look at Jesus, the Pharisees, and the "beelzebub" comments. There's some Bible for ya.
    2. How can you presume to know if our worship here honors God? You don't know what we do or how we do it...save some examples I have given here.

Ya' know, sometimes both are possible. If not, then I won't...but some folks seem to be unhappy unless they have somebody to look down on...preferably another Christian. That's no way to live.

1. So impugning character and calling fellow Christians names...that's Biblical? Please.
    2. I'm glad you've interviewed most every Baptist church that has changed its name and understand its reasons, motives, and thought processes, plus can so very accurately assess its spiritual condition.

First of all, I'm not. I pretty much laugh and go my way after typing anything here...life's too short.
    But I do think we should all run our "messages" through this filter: "Is God angry with the message, or the messenger?" That's much more important. And since I believe in local church autonomy, I'm gonna spend my time serving mine, and less time slamming yours.

14. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quote by Rbell: "You don't? Sounds like an attack to me...especially unwise for two reasons:
    1. It is dangerous to call something that God is doing "of satan," "garbage" or the like. Just look at Jesus, the Pharisees, and the "beelzebub" comments. There's some Bible for ya.
    2. How can you presume to know if our worship here honors God? You don't know what we do or how we do it...save some examples I have given here." End quote

1. It is an attack or wake up call to churches that fit into the above catagory. I call NOTHING that God is doing of Satan. It is what it is. The music I refer to such as "Christian rock" IS NOT OF GOD! Hard heavy metal type and hard rock "Christian music" is garbage and should have no place in real christiandom. It appeals to the flesh and simply mimics the world. How are we to be seperate and unspotted by the world when we copy everything they do?

2. I did not attack your particular church. As you state, I don't know your church. I said IF you fall into the catagory.

Lets talk about calling fellow christians names for a minute. Are they fellow christians? The ecumenical charasmatic interdenominational crowd sound good. They outwardly appear to be preaching the gospel. (watered down as it is). However, most of these groups think they can lose their salvation or it needs to be maintained. (Topic for another thread) But they don't understand what real salvation is. How do I know?

These groups of so called christians are going to be the ones that will make up the one world apostate church. After the rapture they will be LEFT BEHIND. Not all because God can be found if there is a love for the truth. But most will be left behind. Left behind = unsaved! So according to the bible it would be wrong to assume most of the people in these type churches are saved. I don't judge any persons salvation. But I can see through the word that most of christiandom will be absorbed into the global system. The global system is Satanic. What does this make the churches involved in the movement ? They are run by Satans ministers of righteousness to deceive and seduce the multitudes. They have a different spirit as Satan is an angel of light.
    Look at bible. God will send strong delusion that they will believe a lie. If it were possible even the elect would be deceived.

The true church of God doesn't only encompass baptists. Alot of baptists have gone down the tube as well. The true church encompasses like minded unified believers that hold the truth of Gods word above all else. They believe in one faith and one baptisim. They do not believe in many roads to heaven. They believe in one mediator between God and man.

Every one of us will be accountable for his walk with God. Don't think you can stand there and get away with "my church lied to me" stuff.

You must seek the truth that will set you free.
    You must search the scriptures to ensure you are really saved.
    You are responsible to worship God in spirit AND in TRUTH.
    You are responsible to study the scriptures to ensure you are being taught truth.
    You are responsible to SEPERATE from false teaching no matter how good it sounds.
    You are responsible to walk in light and not mix with darkness further blurring the lines of truth and folly.
    You are responsible to walk as children of light.
    You are responsible to follow Christ and not men!

God gave us His word. It is about time men start studying it instead of following teachers having itching ears. In other words get into a church where you are not comfortable. Step out of your comfort zone. The flesh is opposed to the things of God. A little discomfort may be a good indicator that you are on the right track. We will be held without excuse!

#54 Soulman, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  15. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Lots of opnion, most of which stinks, but hey, you're entitled. Nothing you can back up with Scripture.

16. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Baptists are not now nor have they ever been "anti-catholic". Baptist are not opposed to catholics. Catholics are people and Baptists always desire to see them come to an actual saving knowledge of Jesus Christ based on his work on the cross alone. Baptists do oppose false teaching of any kind. Opposing false teaching and removing the name Baptist off the sign to mislead people about who you are is apples and oranges.

When I share my faith I always tell people why they need Jesus within the first ten minutes. And that does include and eternity without God in hell.

This again has nothing to do with the op. Churches that remove the name Baptist form the sign do so to withhold information for the purpose of deceiving them. That has nothing to do with what Jesus taught from.

You continue to make irrelevent examples. However if Jesus or the missionaries did what they did with the same intent these churches do then I would say they were wrong.

Cursed be he that doth the work of the lord deceitfully; Jeremiah 48:10

#56 2 Timothy2:1-4, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  17. guitarpreacher

Only thing I can figure is ya'll are too dumb to understand it or too hard-hearted to care about lost people.

18. guitarpreacher

Romans 14:4 "Who are you to condemn someone else’s servants? They are responsible to the Lord, so let him judge whether they are right or wrong. And with the Lord’s help, they will do what is right and will receive his approval."

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

:confused: :confused: :confused: Huh?

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have no doubt that some are being deceitful. But I personally don't feel that anyone can possibly make this blanketing of a statement. You can't possibly know every reason that every church decides to do this.

Local church autonomy applies here IMO. Let God deal with them.