1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists are not Reformed

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Particular Baptists probably made a mistake parroting the Westminister Confession. I believe that behind that decision was to avoid persecution so I am not sure that they were identifying themselves with Protestantism. If you can find any residuals of Roman Catholicism in Baptist Faith and Practice many of us are waiting!

I like the Baptist Confession of 1644/46 myself.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish more folks would consult the Canons of Dort instead of merely simply speaking of TULIP. That acrostic was coined in 1905 by Cleland Boyd McAfee.So it's history is rather recent. It's helpful but not expansive enough.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe that the Preface was a lie?

I believe that the men who signed their names to the 1689 document actually endorsed the doctrines contained therein. It was really closer to the Savoy Declaration, and yes --the 1689 was Protestant in nature. It's an historical fact.

How in the world are you coming up with that remark? I made no reference to Roman Catholicism and its linkage to the Baptist Faith and Practice statement.
    Good. I like it too.

4. OldRegular

I wholeheartedly agree with that. In my mind the Doctrines of Grace encompass much more than TULIP!

5. OldRegular

I had said earlier that Baptists had no residuals from the RCC but that most Protestant Churches do. Since you associated Baptists to Protestants because of the similarity between the 1689 Baptist Confession and the Westminster Confession I made an assumption that was logical to me!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of flimsy patchwork on your part OR. Because the WCoF and the 1689 are similar you would come to the conclusion that Roman Catholicism is behind it all?!
    As I have demonstrated before, most Baptists who are indeed Christians would agree substantially with the Westminster Confession of Faith --even some of the most ardent Non-Calvinists. And when it comes to the London Confession of Faith that percentage rises even higher.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what are the big differences between the ole 44 & the 89....45??? JK...seriously don't know....have studied both Westminster and the 1689 so I have comparitive knowledge but 1644 seem kinda vague from what ive read. I know the New Covenant Theology crowd uses it to justify their stance. And that is why I don't pay it no nevermind...I'm not interested in NCT either. So who did I offend :laugh: or is that whom?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you suddenly concerned with proper grammar at this late stage EW&F?
    ;-)

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While many Baptists do agree with our Reformed brethren on some points of soteriology, that in and of its self does not make them Reformed (no matter how much they are enamored with the name). Reformed in reality takes in more than simply the Canons of Dort.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ewf, here's a difference to chew on:

Westminster 24:3 has "the true reformed religion"

Baptist has "the true religion"

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I predicted this from you Rippon.. correction of spelling & punctuation is another advantage for having you on the board. :laugh:

PS: I'm sure you would add penmanship to your skill sets if they were visible. :tongue3:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe me --I have let you slide way too often. You are in competition with another BB member with the distinction of poor grammar and spelling.

Remember EdSutton? He was the true grammar cop. He caught me a few times.
    No,I'm afraid not. My penmanship is not good at all. I'm amazed how neatly Chinese students write English cursive so well.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome in the section on Effectual calling,point #4 --both the WCF and LBCF have "Christian religion."

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too, and most other PBs.

"When compared to the 1689 Confession the first London document is said to present a more accurate biblical perspective of God's law. The editors of Backus Books Publishers, who reprinted the 1646 edition of the London Confession with Benjamin Cox's Appendix, offer this observation. "There are other baptistic statements of faith already available in our day, such as the Second London Confession of 1689, which is a modification of the Presbyterian Westminster Confession of Faith of 1646. Although these confessions agree on the fundamentals of Christian faith, there is a distinctive New Covenant emphasis concerning biblical law in the 1644 and 1646 editions of the First London Confession that is regretfully lacking in the Old Covenant emphasis of the Westminster and Second London Confessions. This difference has far reaching theological implications."

In the general conference of 1646 Elder Benjamin Cox, pastor of Abington Church, presented an appendix to the Confession. The existence of this document indicates that at least one church in London, of the original seven, considered the Confession either too vague or else inaccurate in presenting the doctrine of regeneration. Lumpkin describes Cox's work as characterizing a "higher Calvinism than the second edition."

Particularly, Elder Cox took exception to the Pelagian implications of Gospel agency in regeneration. In article seven of his appendix he wrote;

Though we confess that no man doth attain unto faith by his own good will; John 1:13, yet we judge and know that the Spirit of God doth not compel a man to believe against his will, but doth powerfully and sweetly create in a man a new heart, and make him to believe and obey willingly, Ezekiel 36:26,27; Psalms; 110:3. God thus working in us both to will and to do, of His good pleasure, Philippians 2:13.

I have been unable to find any evidence that the Cox appendix was ever formally accepted and added to the first London Confession. From this, it may be assumed that others were satisfied with the positions taken in the Confession and saw little need to adjust it doctrinal tenor.

Apparently, the distinguishing theology of the First London Confession did not go unnoticed by the Arminian General Baptists. Elder Cox's appendix is, for the most part, a polemic response to Arminian theology. The content and tone of his work indicates the General Baptists were not pleased with the appearance of the London Confession. Until 1644 John Helwys' very Arminian 1610 Confession was the principle statement of Baptist theology in England. The London Confession served to undermine the influence of the Helwys document. It revealed that his 1610 Confession was not endorsed by a significant portion of the Baptist community in London."
    http://www.pb.org/pbdocs/chhist5.html

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still consider it to simplistic....it allows for lax scriptural interpretation. But lean on what you want to. I will use the Bible and the HS.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds pious and all but...why are you so anti-creedal?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not....I'm just moving into deeper waters I'm thinking.

18. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. John T. Christian disproved the theory that Baptists originated from groups that sprinkled in 1640's conclusively in several books he wrote. He personally went to England and researched the Bodleian papers and proved that in 1640 the change of law allowing dissenters to print what they believe, was the reason for the pouring forth of literature to defend immersion rather than proof of the origin of Baptists from pedobaptists as Whitsitt imagined. Indeed, he proved that even pedobaptists immsered rather than poured in England from the early 1500's to 1640. Furthermore, Baptists had clear historical existence long before 1640 as they are frequently mentioned by pedobaptists. The archeological proof of Baptists can be seen in their oldest historical meeting places such as the "church in the hop Garden" and Hillcrest Church and several others back to the late 1300's before either the European or English reformations.

#38 The Biblicist, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
  19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Feeding minister - preacher
    Begetting minister - missionary

This is certainly a very interesting to me read: http://particularbaptistlibrary.org/LIBRARY/History/The Abington Association.pdf

20. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.