1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptists Expel Congregation

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, May 7, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another SBC congregation was expelled from the regional association after the pastor baptized two sodomites and welcomed them into the membership. [term "sodomite" is used intentionally as that is what the AV1611 calls them, not "gay" or "homosexual"]

Vote of the association was 250-11. Spokesman for the association said:
    I applaud this decision. Another glimmer of hope for the SBC!! [​IMG]

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I applaud this decision. Another glimmer of hope for the SBC!! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Can you give any details, like at least the name of the church or the association?

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's odd to me that when people accept Christ as Savior we somehow will allow them time to grow out of unbiblical behavior except when it comes to the area of sexuality. With "these people" we expect them to be able to overcome their fleshiness RIGHT NOW. It just makes no sense. The content of the story as reported, failed to give enough details to make clear evaluation about what went on in this church. I would one day to baptize many many homosexuals into the Kingdom of God.

Knowing your stand against KJVO-ism...I am confused by this statement.

I have found that many who use the word sodomite do so to make it sound dirter and even MORE evil. As if homosexuality doesn't get the point across!

4. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

There is this little word called repentance. It was the first word of the Gospel for John the Baptist and Christ. Peter preached it. Paul preached it. Preachers with integrity preach it.

6. Monergist

Monergist New Member

The congregation obviously got booted because the pastor knowingly baptized and welcomed sodomites. IMO, such a willingness to embrace the very depths of depravity proves that this is not a TRUE church. So they should be kicked out.

But I see a possible inconsistency with them in requiring "evidence of true repentance." I say 'possible,' because I'm not familiar at all with the habits of the other churches in the association, but if its like 95% of the local SBC churches here, I could walk in for the first time next Sunday morning as a complete stranger and join the church right on the spot with absolutely NO evidence of true repentance. I would probably get asked if I've ever been saved or made a decision; that's it.

I know of "conservative" SBC churches that have actively gay members. They don't discipline them, they never ask. About anything. And unless some scandal erupts, it never comes to attention.

My point to my raving is this: Its good that this association set a standard that requires repentance for fellowship on the issue of sodomy. It needs to go further. We need to ditch the quick and easy evangelism methods and require evidence of repentance for all baptismal candidates and potential members, in conservative, as well as liberal, churches.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Legitimate points. I am dynamically opposed to KJVO but that does not diminish my love and use for the KJV(1769 revision). Don't confuse the two.

And yes, I believe the stigma of the word "sodomite" is much more harsh and degrading AND descriptive term than the euphemistic "gay" or "homo". Hence my use.

And "drunkard" instead of "alcoholic"
    And "adulterer" instead of "affair"

Just my sweet subtle way with words . . :rolleyes:

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Once they are kicked out of the Southern Baptist Church, what happens to their building? Do they get to keep it, or does it belong to the SBC?

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Each church is autonomous. The SBC is a bunch of churches who voluntarily cooperate in different ministries.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes; the evolution of words a la' PC to make evil good, and good evil.

Kinda like the change from "USED CAR" to "PRE-OWNED CAR", to "PRE-REGISTERED CAR", to (coming soon to your local neighborhood theater ;) )

(long drum roll------) "CAR WITH EXPERIENCE"! :D

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refer to the believers in my church as "new" or "used".

Always gets a laugh! [​IMG]

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do understand that repentence doesn't mean perfection?!?! Even Paul struggled with the flesh, Romans 7:15. Preach repentence by all means, just understand that not everyone is as perfect as you seem to be and though repentent may give into the desires of the flesh.

Integrity demands not only the preaching of the truth but the loving and serving of the sinner hearing the truth.

13. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

Yeah, I have some friends who would say that they have been used by the church!!!

14. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

We welcome anyone to our Church.

If you're living with a woman who's not your wife we're not going to stand at the front door and not let you come in. We want you to be saved.

If you're a gay couple actively participating in the gay lifestyle we welcome you to our church to hear the gospel.

If you're an alcoholic come on.
    If you're a prostitute by all means come in.

And the list goes on and on....

But when Jesus Changes your Heart and you desire membership in our church don't come to the front unwilling to leave all that behind.

Sure some will slip and many will fall after conversion but that Conversion Experience is a Changing Point and to approach it as merely a spiritual reality that has no practical application in the physical realm is unacceptable.

If you're an adulterer - Jesus in your heart - means you stop your foolin' around.

If you're a gay person (whatever that means) - Jesus in your heart - means you halt your perversion.

If you're a prostitute - Jesus in your heart - means you stop hooking.

And on and on the list goes.

15. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    PJ [​IMG]

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification Dr. Bob

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be the point that some cannot grasp; perfection-NO, change YES! [​IMG]

18. Jeptha

Jeptha New Member

1 Cor 6:11 "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."

J

19. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

I thank God that He has delivered me from the most self righteous, arrogant,judgemntal,rude,and hypocritical people on this planet. Southern Baptists have become the Pharisees of modern Christianity.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It is nice that you can now give thanks unto the Lord, out loud in public, that you are not like the rest of us SBC sinners :rolleyes: (see Luke 18:9-14).