1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist's have bishops and archbishops?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Aug 19, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm sick of having to defend our Baptist church on a Baptist board to a Catholic so from now on I'll answer every accusation from a Catholic in the same manner or just ignore questions from them.

Diane

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

You then do not think that my questions concerning the qualifications for pastor are valid?

If Scripture is the authority, and Scripture says "husband of one wife", are my questions concerning unmarried or remarried pastors somehow inappropriate?

If I can't ask questions about the Baptist system on the Baptist board, who would you prefer I ask?

BTW, your participation here is voluntary. You are not forced to participate are you?

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent post gb92333 [​IMG]

Diane, who is better qualified to interpret Scripture and determine what is "against Scripture": the church in 112, many of whom would have been discipled by one or more of the human authors of the New Testament and thus have been taught what the NT meant; or you, me and the SBC in 2003, 1900 years removed from the writing of the NT?

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

gb93433: Yeah, let's not forget Paul's commendation of the deacon Phoebe.

trying2understand: You're welcome. It wasn't Diane but me, who posted that link.

Diane: Where does God say in the Bible "no women pastors"? Just wondering, because if it's 1 Timothy 3, then He also says no pastors without obedient children (which certainly means no man without children is qualified), and no unmarried men, either.

Anybody: Paul called Phoebe a deacon (minister). He called Junia an apostle, which John Chrysostum later confirmed. He explicitly granted women the authority to preach the word of the Lord (prophesy) in the church and to pray (aloud) in the church--as long as they were veiled. He commended Prisca, who taught men. He also indicated that Phoebe was the president of the congregation at Cenchrea. These are facts. He even listed qualifications for women serving as deacons.

5. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron, I for one am happy to answer your questions. It is a bit frustrating when the answers are not received, not to say that you have done so in this thread. It is also frustrating when misinformation is propogated. I usually step in at that point, not that I am an "expert" on these matters, but I do present facts that can be backed. I hope you realize this. I believe Nils would back me on this as well as he has been involved with several threads in which I contributed.

So ask away as far as I'm concerned. You may not accept or agree with the statements I make, but they are Baptistic, as my knowledge dictates. I will also concede error when it is shown to me. I'm not scared of being wrong. To the contrary, I wish to be shown the truth when I am in error. I do, however, maintain an individual's right to be wrong. [​IMG]

On the other hand, there is no need to goad someone when they are obviously frustrated. Just let it be and someone will eventually answer your questions if they are presented in a serious and respectful manner. I have nothing to hide about the Baptist denomination. It is one of my favorite subjects.

6. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Thanks, Clint. [​IMG]

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't have to defend any church. The only thing that will stand is God's word. If you will study the history of the convention you are trying to defend you will find so many discrepencies. For one the SBC started over an issue of slavery not far from where you live. You probably know that many SBC churhes were started by splits from another church.

Over the years I have had many Catholics in Bible Study. Everyone of them have come to Christ and have led others to Christ. About 75 percent of John MacArthur's church is comprised of former Catholics who have come to Christ.