1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists Undertake Theological Dialogue with Pentecostals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They write it, but you say that they don't believe it.
    Here it is again:
    It is worded the same way that the United Pentecostal would word their statement of faith. Tongues is an indicator of being baptized in the Spirit, a requirement to salvation. They are a cult.
    There is no such thing as a "heavenly language" unless it is what the angels speak in heaven, but nothing that anyone speaks here on earth.

Your point VIII is an orthodox statement of evangelical Christianity. It is not a particular point of a Baptist distinctive.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

They do not hold that tongues is an indicator of being baptized in the Holy Spirit -- that is, of being saved.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

D) We believe in speaking in tongues, as our heavenly language, that builds us up in our most holy faith. Tongues is an indicator, not a qualifier.

Whatever. They believe in speaking in tongues, as I have maintained that they do, and their site clearly states.

I only made a comparison to the UP, not suggesting that they believed exactly the same but a similar belief.
    Nevertheless, they still believe in speaking of tongues and you support it!!!

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, if it's oh so wrong wrong wrong to associate with the Baptist World Alliance and Pentecostals, why's it OK for a Southern-Baptist-affiliated college to associate itself with a leftist Ellen-White-quoting Caribbean politico/ally of Castro and Hugo Chavez?

#104 Jerome, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Look, I am saying that they can still be Baptists even if they do believe in speaking in tongues. Like they do, I believe all the gifts mentioned in the Bible are in operation today. I don't hold to Pentecostal or Charismatic interpretation and practice of them. Yes, there are counterfeit gifts, but there are genuine, God-given gifts, also. One must me discerning, as in everything else. My sister speaks in tongues; she is the finest Christian and finest person I know.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What "tongue" (language) does she speak in? Does she know?
    If not, how does she know she is actually speaking in Biblical tongues, or is being deceived by Satan?

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I haven't asked her what language she speaks in, but I know she is not being deceived by Satan, and if you knew her, you'd know that, too.

8. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

How do you know she isn't being deceived?

It is obvious you yourself have been deceived into believing that one can be saved without hearing the Gospel or even knowing Jesus Christ.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The most sincere people can easily be deceived.
    I know that the gift of tongues has ceased and people no longer have that gift. Thus your sister does not speak in tongues. Whatever she does, she doesn't speak in tongues. If she speaks in another language then she studied it and was able to learn it. If she speaks gibberish, that is not speaking in tongues. It is not biblical at all, and somewhat dangerous to allow your mind to open up to demonic influence.
    The Biblical and supernatural gift of tongues ceased by the end of the first century.

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Neither of us has been deceived.

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

says DHK. God doesn't agree.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Both positions can't be right; someone must be wrong.
    I believe the Bible over experience.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So do I. ( have to add characters to make this post)

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This shows your immaturity. Again you say your sister has and does speak in tongues but you have no idea what language she speaks in? You don't find that odd? She doesn't know either does she? Phone her and find out.
    All tongues that were spoken in the Bible were understandable and real languages--unknown to the one speaking them but known to the ones hearing them.
    But that is not the case with your sister is it. She is deceived. Ask her.

Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the theology forum start a topic on modern tongues movement: is it of God or man?

This thread is closed. (as warned earlier)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.