1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptists who stand up

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Mar 14, 2013.

?
  1. Neither the King James Version nor any other version of the Bible is God’s Word.

14.8%
  2. The King James Version and many other versions of the Bible are God’s Word.

81.5%
  3. Only the version use is the word of God (please comment on what version you use).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't take a stand

3.7%
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God inerrancy applied ONLY to the original manuscripts/books!

He has indeed preserved those into the original language texts that we today base English versions upon...

So we do indeed have infallible versions for us now, for though ALL of them still have some textual variant mistakes, scribal glossong errors, copying mistakes, still can be seen as infallible word of God!

the originals were perfect, NO translation is today!

And to your mark question...

Believe that he originally wrote the gospel with the shoertened ending, but early on, thescribes/copiers decided to "smooth it over" and incoprated the longer ending, as that longer ending was based upon known deeds/works of the Apsotles in time of acts!

2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

My Big Problem Is....

The Big Problem I have with the results of this poll is that I have always believed that a basic belief that "The Bible Is God's Word" is necessary to even come to the place WHERE ONE CAN BE SAVED. If a person does NOT believe that the Bible IS God's Word, how then can he/she EVER believe the truths contained therein? "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing BY the word of God"(Romans 10:17) Where does that leave the 3 posters (whomever they may be...I don't know and I'm not sure I want to)that voted for option #1 in this poll? Can you believe that God's Word doesn't EXIST today and really be saved?....and like Amy said....if this is true then what use are our Bibles (any version) if we can't depend on them being true? I know we aren't supposed to question the salvation of others on here and I don't come to this question easily...it is painful....but these are legitimate questions that must be faced. I don't ask these questions maliciously...but with genuine compassion. WE ARE...as Christians...dependent (as God intended us to be) on that blessed Book and His Holy Spirit as our guides. That BOOK is the instrument that God,the Holy Spirit, uses to lead, guide and instruct us as we find our way not ONLY to His initial salvation but then also over the course of the path of life that we must follow until we go to meet our Lord. It CANNOT be dismissed or taken lightly. It is terribly troubling that on a Baptist Forum there are those in our company that don't believe this. We need to pray that God will remove the blinders from their hearts and their eyes. I cannot apologize for telling the truth. I have just prayed for you:praying: and I hope others will as well.

Bro.Greg:saint:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It should be. In the original Hebrew and Aramaic that is. But when those languages are translated to English there will be some differences as it's impossible to translate from one language to another word for word.

But regardless, the Bible is still God's word even when translated to languages different from the originals.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

We Have It

Let God Be True....and every man a liar!

We HAVE God's Word IN OUR LANGUAGE as He would have us to have it in our day. IF....and I do say IF...ONLY the Original Hebrew and Greek Autographs were the ONLY truly pure,inspired,inerrant, and preserved Words of God then He would have made sure that they were preserved for us in their entirety and that we would be able to speak,read, and understand them in our day. The actual "Originals" no longer exist. I personally believe that is because God knows our propensity to "worship" objects and relics (note the practices of the Catholics and other pagan religions). That said, I believe that God has transmitted His Word down through the ages and PRESERVED IT as it has "of necessity" been translated from the Original languages of the Autographs into the many other languages that exist. This huge focus we seem to have on translating His Word into an ever-increasing multiplicity of English translations when the true need is, in fact, making sure that it is made available in languages that, as yet, do NOT have a working copy of God's Word to read.....is nothing but a distraction and a shame. WE have the Word of God IN ENGLISH! We need to make sure those of other languages have it now. We don't need anymore English translations. The devil is laughing while some people groups around the world today are STARVING for God's Word. OK...I'm done ranting!....for now:thumbs:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your contention is that any Bible version based on the TR is automatically accurate?! How silly.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No,but most do anyway even if the print may be smaller than the regular type or enclosed in brackets. Including those last 12 "verses" is just a concession to tradition.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord has not told you that the KJV is the preserved Word of God in English,and the KJV has not communicated that to you either.

It is not a faith thing at all. You have swallowed a man-made idol.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say what? Our Bible versions are not infallible. Only the original autographs are.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    no, the original manuscripts/books were totally Inerrant, as everything recorded down was inspired/preserved by the Holy spirit as revelation of God, NO mistakes/errors in ANYTHING that was written down, regardless faith/history etc!

the Lord preserve to us in the original languages greek/hebrew texts used today for translation essentially close enough to inerrant originals that we have today in the various translation an infallible bible, which means that apart from known scribal additions/glosses, problems with correct OT numbers, still have an accurate and trustworthy account from God, so still infallible in all doctrines/practices, only authority to us today!

just be careful with difference between concepts of inerrancy/infallibility, as our KJVO bethren exchange them as being same!

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

ONLY silly if....

I think I know what you are getting at.....there certainly CAN be BAD translations ....even from the TR. Just because one uses the TR as their "base" for translation DOES NOT guarantee the quality or accuracy of the translation....That IS TRUE.
    I will even go a step further...(remember...you are hearing THIS from a KJV guy:smilewinkgrin:)... and say that there are GOOD and accurate translations of the CT or W&H texts. Imagine that...ME saying that!:laugh:
    BUT....I still reject the CT or W&H based translations in favor of any good and accurate TR based translations (in ANY language) because I don't believe (based on the Manuscript Evidence that I regard as true)that they (the CT OR the W&H manuscripts) are as good or more accurate. If the roots are bad...the tree will follow suit.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

What a load of bull. The original scriptures are long gone. In fact, in Jesus's day no one had the original scriptures written down by the prophets, they had deteriorated from use centuries before. The Jews and the church have always relied on copies of the originals, so unless copies are preserved then no one has infallible scriptures.

It has always been about 2 lines of scriptures, the Critical Text and the Received Text. Either one is correct or both are wrong, but both cannot be correct.

I will ask any person here, should the last 12 verses of Mark be there or not? Take a stand and give your answer.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Sp What You are saying is....

So if I understand what you are saying correctly, you are basically saying that God inspired perfect, inerrant Originals that were the "Original Autographs" and they were indeed PERFECT and without error of any kind....AT THAT TIME. I agree and I'm sure most would.
    Past that...what I get from what you and others are saying is that once those Perfect Originals were finished, that God basically left the entire process of the TRANSMISSION and "preservation" of His Holy Perfect Word to the whims and ways of fallible and sinful men and chose to "wink" at their treatment of His Word and ignore the imperfections and corruptions that they introduced to the text of His once-Perfect, Inspired, Infallible, Inerrant Word....right? NOPE. I ain't buyin' it. I never have since I found out just what is TRULY at stake in this sin-cursed, hell-deserving world we live in. There are some "supernatural" things that God accomplishes that our finite, natural minds will never be able to adequately explain with even our best supposedly well-informed theories. How He provides us with a PERFECT Bible (inspite of our best efforts to think that we don't necessarily need one) may be a mystery to some until they stand before Him. I just accept it as true without question....by FAITH. He and His Word are Perfect. It is not possible to seperate the Two. Faith is not a difficult concept to embrace when you believe that. That is where I stand...and where I will stay.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

I owe you an apology, I thought you were ridiculing me because I am King James ONLY. I do not apologize for that.

I simply believe that God has preserved his word as he promised many times in scripture. There are two lines to choose from,- the Critical or Received Text. I believe the Received Text is the preserved line of scripture. I cannot prove this, I believe it by faith.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yep, that's what they say. They don't believe in preservation whatsoever.

And you are absolutely correct, it is a matter of faith, which they do not have, yet they mock those who believe.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

My Stand..

My stand is YES...they should be there. They were in the TR and that is the correct family of Manuscripts. They WERE NOT just some creative addition to the text that were placed there by some group of "translators". That they weren't included in the CT (if I have my information correct) is just more good reason for me to reject the CT as being "the BEST and oldest ancient manuscripts" as some of the textual footnotes are so fond of saying. I'm with ya Winman.:thumbs:

16. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    TR is not a "family of Manuscripts" and certainly not correct (not in many places at least).

By your logic, the NKJV then has replaced the KJV since it is based on the TR and it is for this generation of believers who speak English.

17. Gregory Perry Sr.

I'll Acknowledge....

OK...a "part" of a family of manuscripts if you please....if that would make you happier (though I doubt it). As to MY logic...nope...not true. Also...if you do a comparative reading between the KJV and the NKJV I have seen it demonstrated in Dr.Douglas D.Stauffer's writings BibleDoug.com that the wording in the NKJV in some places more clearly follows the CT than the TR. I know (the NKJV team) "say" that their work was based on exclusively the TR...but...there may be a "fox in the henhouse".

What I will acknowledge is your right to your opinion as to what is or is not correct...however..."things that are different are NOT the same!" I respectfully disagree with your position.:type:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, for though the translation came from SAME Greek source as the KJV, the NKJV translating team did not have the inpiration to translate granted the KJV team!

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we DO indeed hold to preservation by the Lord, its in the original language texts that we have today, as essential exact copies of the originals!

So ANY english version correctly translated off them are thesure word of god to us, kjv/nkjv/nasb/niv etc!

and the KJVO camp misunderstands just what inpieration/revelation/inerrancy/infallibility mean...

ONLY the originals were inerrant/inspired revelations from/of God, while modern texts/versions off thm are infallible!