1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barack Obama says he registered for the draft??????

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by betterthanideserve, Sep 9, 2008.

1. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

Funny thing, Draft registration was not only NOT required but IMPOSSIBLE when he was eighteen! We were an all volunteer military at that time, so----------- was he once again lying to George Stefanopolis?( if I spelled this wrong forgive me,I'm not real good with Greek) as well as the american voting public? What will he lie about if/when he becomes president?

#1 betterthanideserve, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

When was it impossible to register for the draft?

My sons, even though they were in Ireland , all were required to register. They are now 29, 27, 21, and 18.

I wasn't aware there was a time when it was impossible. I thought every young man was always required to register.

Wow - I just learned something :)

There was no required draft registration from 1975-1980.

If Wiki is right though only men born between 1957 and 1959 were exempt. If that is true than Obama had to register in 1980.

Interesting topic.

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you think it is a lie. Actually he was obeying the law.
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/defenseandsecurity/a/draftreg.htm

So Obama was obeying the law when he registered. As it says almost all 18 year old males are supposed to register. Just because there is no draft does not mean no register is being kept.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

I had to register. My son has to.

How old are you better? Are you a man? If you are you better find out how to register, you could be in violation of the law.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

All make US citizens between 18-25 must register for the draft.

All males living in the US, including illegals must register.

Because of the five year lapse in Selective Service from 1975-1980 there is a small number of men who never had to register, but when the act was renewed in 1980 it was retroactive, it looks like for all men from 18-21. Obama fell into that group and should have registered in August (September?) 1980.

It looks like the only ones who did not have to register were those born between certain dates between 1957-1959.

Would love to learn more about this.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You cannot serve in the military and be illegal.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on how bad a recuriter needs to make his quota:laugh: :tonofbricks:

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I think what BHO is talking about is that he had to register for Selective Service. He and I are about the same age and that is what they were calling it back when I registered. However, they made it clear to us that there was no "Draft" and that all we were doing was registering in case there was a need for a Draft in the future.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a time, from near the end of the Nixon administration, to about midway through Carter, that registration ended. So it was about 1974 til 1978-79, and I became 18 in those years and did not have to register.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I am thnking

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Never claimed you did. I claimed you had to register with selective service.

http://www.sss.gov/

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I just heard the clip of BHO saying that he had to register for Selective Service when he graduated high school in 1979. This simply is not true. The government stopped the Selective Service mandatory registration in the mid-70s following Vietnam and did not reinstitute the mandatory registration for Selective Service until July 1980.

http://www.sss.gov/FSbackgr.htm

13. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

WOW! Obama sure is having lots of problems with simple things.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wrong, I am two years younger than Obama and I had to register when I was 18. In fact, we had people that came to our high school hading out the registration cards not to mention we got them in the mail and from the door to door pushers. You also had to prove your registration at motor vehicle to get your license renewed.

This was when the cold war was at it's peak and we had no choice but to register. I joined two months after my 18th birthday but I had to register just the same.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

i was born in 62 so this would be the year I turned 18. You are correct, we had no choice but register.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So you can be illegal, walk in a government office and identify yourself as illegal, give them your name and address then go back home?

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

When I registered in 1982 you had to go to the local Post Office, which is what the Selective Service Act requires, fill out the card, and sign it in front of a Postal Service representative (a Notary I assume). The guy yelled at me because I signed my registration card when he was not looking, so he did not actually see me sign it. I was standing right in front of him at the service window. However, he was trying to "multitask" and looked away right when I signed the card. Boy you'd have thought I had written on the original U.S. Constitution or the Declaration of Independence or something.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

There's a law that needs some attention! Why in the world would we let illegals present themselves in a federal government office to register for a federal Act and then just walk away? There ought to be an INS agent on hand and a bus waiting somewhere nearby.

19. betterthanideserve

betterthanideserve New Member

For those who would like to know, in 1975 the draft was abolished, we became a voluntary millitary, it was reinstituted in 1980, Barack Obama was 18 in 1979 when he graduated from highschool. So he did not have to nor could he have registered when he was 18. He would have had to when he was 19 (in 1980)But he told G Stepfanopolis he did so at the age of 18 NOT TRUE therefore a lie.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wow - you all must have better memories than me. I wasn't even a druggie and 17,18,19 all kind of run together. Does it really matter if he registered at 18 or 19?

Since when did mistakes or bad memories become lies?

#20 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008