1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bare with me!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by jay29, Jan 25, 2006.

1. jay29

jay29 New Member

I am trying to discern between Catholicism and Reformed Churches. What do you think about this statement:

"The most destructive thing of all that the Reformation accomplished after all-for those "Reformed" is to destroy the most powerful tool agaist Satan- the Eucharist. Take away the sacrificial priesthood, take away all but 2 of the Sacraments. Now Protestants of many denominations have distorted or removed Baptism and are working feverishly to destroy Matrimony."

I kind of agree that "many denominations" cannot be a good thing because there is no unity. There are many different ideas and thoughts and no one message. Disunity is never a good thing. Satan is the great divider. It is like a bowling ball that you shatter on the ground. The one big piece would be the catholics and there one message and the many shards would be the protestants and there many different messages. It does make sense.

"Yes, there are indeed about 60,000 varying Protestant sects. And about 52,000 of them are ones claiming to be the true Anglican church!"

So was shattering the church a good idea or not? I don't know.
    Share your thoughts and ideas.

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I thought this was going to be about starting up a nudist church. ;)

I would disagree with this statement which obviously comes from a strongly anti-Protestant POV. The author failed to note that the Protestant versions of the Eucharist and Baptism were the two that were not done away with. So the quote is internally inconsistent.

3. jay29

jay29 New Member

Look at this quote:

"At first before I converted to Catholicism, I REALLY thought the Pope was the anti-Christ and the devil was part of the CC...boy, I was wrong big time!

THAT'S when I learned and realized - with God's Grace - that the CC is the TRUE Church established by Jesus Christ. That's when I realized that 2,000 years ago, there was NO PROTESTANTISM..until the 16th century...hmmmmm...something fishy going on.

I have NOTHING against Protestants themselves...I do have a problem with the fact that it split from the CC because that's NOT what our Lord established, friends!

Why can't some people get that through their heads?!?"

Discuss.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

There were always Baptist. They are not protestants.

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say that schism of the reformation is a product of human western culture moving from one paradigm of authority to another.

One thing I notice is the movement in the western world from monarchy to representative republics/democracies to also occur within the same timespan of the reformation.

I think there are good and bads of it.

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This forum is restricted to Baptists only. I have reported this post. If you wish to civilly discuss this further, I recommend doing so in the Other Christian Denominations forum.

7. jay29

jay29 New Member

"I would say that schism of the reformation is a product of human western culture moving from one paradigm of authority to another.

One thing I notice is the movement in the western world from monarchy to representative republics/democracies to also occur within the same timespan of the reformation."

I agree with you on this. So the reformation was started by human western culture and not the Divine? So Luther, Wesley, and Calvin acted on there own, becuase of there culture of the day? I don't know about that being kosher...So we could have another shake up in the church today?
    Wow.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

jay29 wrote:

2 things. #1, my employer frowns on this type of behavior at work. #2, you're not my type.

:D

Sorry... back to the thread.

9. jay29

jay29 New Member

2 things. #1, my employer frowns on this type of behavior at work. #2, you're not my type.

:D

Sorry... back to the thread.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My bad! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Since your so bold in your proclamations I'm going to be blunt. Roman Catholicism is more or less a cult. The "Church" doesn't save anybody from hell. In all reality if one truly follows RC doctrine as it is taught that individual will find themselves in hell at the end of their life.
    God's Holy Scriptures are the final authority for the christian. Not some pope or the "church". BTW, jay baptism doesn't save anyone from hell either. Nor does taking communion everyday of your life. You my friend need to come to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ by confessing your sins and asking Christ into your heart. Trying to figure out whether the reformation was right or wrong is not going to have any bearing on where you will spend eternity. Your asking the wrong questions. The question you need to ask yourself is this : What have I done with Christ?
    I 'm telling you if the Pope that just died was depending on his works and his praying to Mary then he is in hell today and not heaven.
    You need to run, run, run, away from RCC. The Gospel of Rome is a gospel of man and his works it will lead you to the lake of fire not the portals of heaven.

11. jay29

jay29 New Member

So you mean to tell me just beleiving in Jesus (I do)asking for forgiveness (i do all the time) and hob knobbing with each other during bible study on Sunday is all need to get into heaven? Well you are wrong. Also stating that someone is going to heaven or hell is not up to you to decide or some screaming preacher. You can't go along and pick out what is symbolic and what is not when it comes to the scriptures! Jesus himself quoted from the Prophet Isaiah about his own coming and his mission! Either you belive all scripture or you don't. When it somes to baptism that is certainly not symbolic. It is real. Jesus talks about it all the time. How about the last supper? Is John 6 all symbolic? How many times does Jesus refer to his flesh and blood with salvation? Numerous times. Not symbolic. REAL. True food, true drink. He abides in me and I in him. How about the Lord Almighty's holy priest Melchizadeck (sp?)and what he offered? Coincidence? I don't think so. Or even Malachi 1:11 predicting the Holy Mass of the Catholics? Who else offers incense and Holy Sacrifice? Symbolic? No way. You take the whole bible and do exactly what it tells you, in conjunction with what the Apostles and earliest Christians did (because they knew Jesus and witnessed Him) right after the Lord's Acension and those two things will show you the truth.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I can go with the requirements of the Jer. Council. There was a chance for these things you speak of Jay to be added and it was not done. Why? because they are not needed for God's grace to save us.

13. riverm

riverm New Member

Curious, what book did you read that suggested that the Early Church fathers were “Baptist”?

14. jay29

jay29 New Member

Curious, what book did you read that suggested that the Early Church fathers were “Baptist”? </font>[/QUOTE]Not in today's terms at all.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry! Double Post
    Ed [​IMG]

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

BTW, for some of y'all types that rolled your eyes at MY last wisecrack, check your OWN memory! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Curious, what book did you read that suggested that the Early Church fathers were “Baptist”? </font>[/QUOTE]The Bible is where I read about the beggining of the church. I don't know of these Early Church fathers you speak of. Sounds "man" made to me.

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Curious, what book did you read that suggested that the Early Church fathers were “Baptist”? </font>[/QUOTE]Not in today's terms at all. </font>[/QUOTE]Jay, I am saying the Babtists did not split from the cc. Has nothing to do with what it is today. But that could be another topic.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Many churches today did nto split from any other church, yet are considered "protestant" when the term is means as "noncatholic". More accurately, most Christian religions can be qualified as Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, or Evangelical. But even there, there is not always a distinct line. Many Protestants are evangelical. There are several Catholic offshoots that are technically protestant, but Catholic in practice. Anyhoo, as per your comment, this is likely better discussed in another thread. But in short, I don't think we need to be fearful of the protestant label when used in the correct context.

20. buckster75

buckster75 Member

I took Jay's orig. comments to mean all noncatholic churches split from cc. My bad if I read it wrong.