1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baseball Trades

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jimmy C, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Teixera to Angels - great player - total mercenary, the baseball antichrist (scott boras) is his agent. Will stay w/the angels, play for a contract and be gone to the highest bidder. It may be the angels, but probably NYY, boston, chicago

Pudge to NYY. Good for him, heard he wore out his welcome in Det - similar complaints to his last years in TX - didnt handle pitchers well. Det did well to offload him at the end of his contract year for a player - esp since Det fell off badly this year

Marlins - possibly picking up Manny (its all about Manny) - good luck with all that in my opinion

And now from the Newberg report:

(* Trade Rumor Offerings To Chew On For Fun, Even Yuks)

Not to be confused with Cincinnati-Louisville Shuttle occupant Todd Coffey, the TROT COFFEY is a mailing list-only update on what the media has unearthed as we approach this afternoon’s conventional trade deadline (3:00 p.m. Central time):

• From T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com: “If the Reds trade Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox then they could go after Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, who is tearing up Triple A Oklahoma but is blocked at the big league level. The Rangers could also try to move outfielder Marlon Byrd and make room for Cruz. The Rangers are still talking to the Marlins about catcher Gerald Laird. The Reds are also interested.”
    [the Griffey deal apparently is done]

• A Chicago radio station is apparently suggesting that the Cubs have asked about Milton Bradley but that the Rangers aren’t motivated to move him (Tim Dierkes of MLBTradeRumors.com)

And yes, I typed a “2” instead of a “3” by mistake in the last update – Arthur Rhodes is 38 years old.

Two hours to go.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

From the Newberg report earlier today

(* Trade Rumor Offerings To Chew On For Fun, Even Yuks)

Not to be confused with Cincinnati-Louisville Shuttle occupant Todd Coffey, the TROT COFFEY is a mailing list-only update on what the media has unearthed as we approach this afternoon’s conventional trade deadline (3:00 p.m. Central time):

• From Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports in the last hour: “The Marlins are still pushing to acquire Rangers catcher Gerald Laird, but are unwilling to part with the major-league starting pitcher that the Rangers are seeking, according to a major-league source.”
    [if Seattle Times writer Geoff Baker was on to something, this means Milwaukee could step up on Eddie Guardado now]

• While a trade is far from done, Manny Ramirez has reportedly consented to go to the Marlins, apparently contingent on the two club option years being dropped from his contract, which would allow him to take free agency this winter (Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated)

• Mike Hindman of the Dallas Morning News speculates that maybe the Rangers are insisting on rookie righthander Ryan Tucker in any Marlins deal for Laird, and that Florida might be trying to consummate a Ramirez trade without involving Tucker .

You can bet that the Marlins, having acquired 28-year-old Arthur Rhodes this morning and working hard to bring Ramirez aboard – clearly for 2008 and not beyond that – are going all in. The thing is that they now have about three hours to put together the strongest roster they can. And their weakest spot left is behind the plate.

It would make a lot of sense for the Rangers to be sitting tight, waiting to see what Florida – especially if it can land Ramirez – will ultimately agree to part with to get Laird, when the clock begins to tick very loudly.

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Trade Rumor Offerings To Chew On For Fun, Even Yuks)
    Not to be confused with Cincinnati-Louisville Shuttle occupant Todd Coffey, the TROT COFFEY is a mailing list-only update on what the media has unearthed as we have just passed this afternoon’s conventional trade deadline:

• From Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated: “The Red Sox traded Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned. Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. The Pirates will get four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.”

• From Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports: The Pirates get third baseman Andy LaRoche (whose brother Adam plays first base for Pittsburgh) and righthander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Brandon (not Damien) Moss and reliever Craig Hansen from Boston. The Red Sox also pay the $7 million left on Ramirez’s deal this year.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Most of my Big Red brethren are glad to see Jr. go. I am not that gleeful, but I won't cry a river either. It's a shame he couldn't work out. But his act was growing old in Cincy. This week's blowup at Brantley may have been the icing on the cake.

What irks me most? The paltry penance the Reds got in return. Okay on the P, but a AAA 2B? Is Brandon Phillips on his deathbed or something? Why not get a decent RH bat, something the Reds have needed since..oh, I dunno....MARCH?????

I suppose it's official. The Reds are going to cast their lot squarely in the lap of Hairston (if he ever gets healthy) and maybe platoon with Freel (if he gets healthy) backed up by Hopper (if he gets healthy). And let's not forget the 3 million dollar man Corey Patterson :BangHead:

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It's interesting to look back at the Griffey Jr. era for the Reds. When he came to the Reds in 2000, he was the "best player in baseball" and Reds fans were ecstatic. He was returning home, and Reds fans saw pennants and championships dancing in their heads. But in the end, you have to describe this era in one word: Unfulfilled.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Andy, what do you think of the end of the Pudge era in detroit?

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I'm sad in a way, but I realize there is the business angle to it all. Pudge signed with the Tigers in 2004 right after the horrific 119 loss season in 2003. I remember that I was shocked. His signing gave Detroit instant credibility and it led to other signings like Ordonez. He's been the emotional leader of this team. I'm sad to see him go. But on the other hand, his skills are clearly diminishing, and the word was that he was not working well with the pitching staff, which might explain (a little) of why the pitching has been so bad. It seems as though the Tigers could have garnered more than just Kyle Farnsworth, but maybe Pudge's trade value wasn't that high. When you think of Pudge, you think HOF, but he's 37 and not the same player that built his HOF resume, so that needs to be kept in mind when you think of "Pudge for Farnsworth."

On the bright side, one of my favorite players, Brandon Inge gets to start again. And if Farnsworth can come in and do well, it will end up being a good trade for the Tigers.

#7 Andy T., Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

In all fairness to Griffey, he was the best player in baseball at the time of this trade. I truly think what happened to his health was a product of the artificial turf he played on in the Kingdome. It apparently takes its toll on the legs, especially the knees. I thought Cincy was set to be "in the hunt" for years, but it wasn't to be. I looked at the stats of who they acquired in this trade, and it's plain they(Cincy) were salary dumping.

But I am excited about the future. Votto is what, 23? Phillips is 28-29? Encarncion(sp?) is 25. Bruce is 21. Volquez, Cueto, and Thompson are younger than 25. Dunn, Harang, and Arroyo are around 30. If they can keep them together, they have the makings of a good tea....thats a BIG if, though.

Willis

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Griffey could've owned Cincy. The town would've fallen at his feet if he'd simply opened up. The town warmed up to him. But Grif forgot who he was and who he was with. Cincy is not a Hollywood kind of town. His personna didn't fit. He thought he was king of the world without being coronated. His thin skin and rabbit ears did him no good. He never really grew up. By the time he figured out he had to sign autographs, kiss babies, and hustle, it was too late. Cincy fans are loyal. They'll stand behind you no matter what if you accept their love (See Pete Rose and Bob Huggins) or they'll just never forget that you spit in their eyes (see Junior and Morgan).

As Little Texas sings, "I try not to think about what might have been...."

In the end, the fans of Cincy could always be a little more forgiving. But hometown guys have a lot of expectations, especially when you are the best in the game and even more so if you actually believe you're the best in the game. Jr forgot that you never get a second chance to make a first impression, but if you do, you'd better take it. He waited too late. He made too many lapses. Flipping off the radio guys in the booth for criticizing your lack of hustle? Eric Davis had his run ins with fans and the talkers. But he busted his butt. He was a Red. Now, Eric the Red is loved in Cincinnati and all is forgiven. Barry Larkin is too, despite his less than kind words about the baseball kingdome. These latter two figured out a little dedication brings a ton of loyalty. Griffey never learned. And probably never will.