1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Basic Baptist Beliefs

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, May 26, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I'm curious. What do you consider to be basic baptist beliefs?

2. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

question 15 is hard to answer because if it is considered a condition upon God granting true repentance, then it would fall in line if God had drawn them in the first place.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I posted this out of curiosity on what "Basic Beliefs" Baptist really do share.

4. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

Yes, I voted, but the poll is flawed. I think the poll was set-up to reflect the beliefs of a Southern Baptist. I don't think you can form a poll for all Baptists lumped together. My view is from a Southern Baptist pov.

I also had a difficult time separating out the Baptist view from my own view.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Billy,

If anything, I would think that you just proved my point. If you feel you need to separate a "Baptist" view from a "Southern Baptist" view, how can someone claim there is a "Baptist view"?

6. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

Is "If there is a difference between Baptist denominations, how can there be 'Basic Baptist beliefs'?" question number 16??? :D

Why do you need to clarify this question, TS??? Did I miss something???

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Baptism by immersion... Should have had a disclaimer of 'when physically possible'.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When physically possible, huh Diane???

The biggest woman I baptized stood 6'5", and I know---tipped the scales at a hefty 250 lbs(though Blackbird KNEW not to pry into that particular part of that lady's business!!!)---she was big enough that if she wanted to weigh 250 pounds----it was fine with me!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I am 5'7" tall and weighed in at a whoppin' 190 pounds-----what I needed in a short period of time was a crash course in university physics----and laws of averages---but I went ahead and dunked her real good---right proud of myself, if I was to say so myself!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Diane,, I must respectfully disagree. Baptism must be by immersion or it isn't baptism. Baptism is an act of obedience and if there is no physical possibility of it happening then there can be no act of disobedience if it doesn't take place. There is no reason to substitute an "almost" act which has no place in the list of things the Lord wants us to be obedient in.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

BillyMac,

*lol* I was a tad .. concerned.. earlier today to find out that two people on this board write definitions of who Baptists are for Wikidpedia. I wanted to see if even the people on this board could agree on our beliefs.

So, I ran the poll.

I was more interested in whether people agreed on their answers than I was on what their answers were. Though, frankly, I am concerned that someone voted no to the resurrection of Christ question.

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think this site has a good summary of Baptist Beliefs,

http://www.garbc.org/baptdist.php

What Are the Eight Baptist Distinctives?

These teachings may be remembered by associating them with the letters that form the word "BAPTISTS."

Biblical Authority
    The Bible is the final authority in all matters of belief and practice because the Bible is inspired by God and bears the absolute authority of God Himself. Whatever the Bible affirms, Baptists accept as true. No human opinion or decree of any church group can override the Bible. Even creeds and confessions of faith, which attempt to articulate the theology of Scripture, do not carry Scripture's inherent authority.
    2 Timothy 3:15-17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Peter 1:20, 21

Autonomy of the Local Church
    The local church is an independent body accountable to the Lord Jesus Christ, the head of the church. All human authority for governing the local church resides within the local church itself. Thus the church is autonomous, or self-governing. No religious hierarchy outside the local church may dictate a church's beliefs or practices. Autonomy does not mean isolation. A Baptist church may fellowship with other churches around mutual interests and in an associational tie, but a Baptist church cannot be a "member" of any other body.
    Colossians 1:18; 2 Corinthians 8:1-5, 19, 23

Priesthood of the Believer
    "Priest" is defined as "one authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion, especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God." Every believer today is a priest of God and may enter into His presence in prayer directly through our Great High Priest, Jesus Christ. No other mediator is needed between God and people. As priests, we can study God's Word, pray for others, and offer spiritual worship to God. We all have equal access to God--whether we are a preacher or not.
    1 Peter 2:5, 9; Revelation 5:9, 10

Two Ordinances
    The local church should practice two ordinances: (1) baptism of believers by immersion in water, identifying the individual with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection, and (2) the Lord's Supper, or communion, commemorating His death for our sins.
    Matthew 28:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-32

Individual Soul Liberty
    Every individual, whether a believer or an unbeliever, has the liberty to choose what he believes is right in the religious realm. No one should be forced to assent to any belief against his will. Baptists have always opposed religious persecution. However, this liberty does not exempt one from responsibility to the Word of God or from accountability to God Himself.
    Romans 14:5, 12; 2 Corinthians 4:2; Titus 1:9

Saved, Baptized Church Membership
    Local church membership is restricted to individuals who give a believable testimony of personal faith in Christ and have publicly identified themselves with Him in believer's baptism. When the members of a local church are believers, a oneness in Christ exists, and the members can endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    Acts 2:41-47; 1 Corinthians 12:12; 2 Corinthians 6:14; Ephesians 4:3

Two Offices
    The Bible mandates only two offices in the church--pastor and deacon. The three terms--"pastor," "elder," and "bishop," or "overseer"--all refer to the same office. The two offices of pastor and deacon exist within the local church, not as a hierarchy outside or over the local church.
    1 Timothy 3:1-13; Acts 20:17-38; Philippians 1:1

Separation of Church and State
    God established both the church and the civil government, and He gave each its own distinct sphere of operation. The government's purposes are outlined in Romans 13:1-7 and the church's purposes in Matthew 28:19 and 20. Neither should control the other, nor should there be an alliance between the two. Christians in a free society can properly influence government toward righteousness, which is not the same as a denomination or group of churches controlling the government.
    Matthew 22:15-22; Acts 15:17-29

12. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

In Diane's defense,

There are people who are physically injured and due to medical equipment cannot be immersed.

There are also prisoners in prisons all around the world who don't have that opportunity.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is possible to write about a subject while acknowledging that there is disagreement within that subject. The lack of absolute agreement doesn't mean you cannot comment on it. Otherwise, there would be very little we could comment on.

Here is the page in question which I have been involved in editing at various times over the past year. Let me know if you find any problems with the writing and I'll make a note to improve that aspect of the article. Or feel free to make those improvements yourself by clicking on the "Edit this page" link.

Wikipedia : Baptist

Thanks TexasSky for bringing this to the attention of folks here.

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most prisons have a portable baptistry that can be used. I have had the privilege of baptizing dozens of saved incarcerated folks.

We support a Missionary to Mongolia. He reported that he baptized 90 women inmates in an 18" child's swimming pool.

15. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

God chooses who will answer his call before he calls them.

That seems to take away from the concept of free will and relieves me from ANY responsibility. If God chooses 100% of the people who will answer the call and 100% of the people respond then there is no real choice. Adam proved that if given a choice some people will respond the wrong way. Just look at this poll. If enough people respond, we will have no statements with 100% Yes or 100% No.

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Awesome Pastor Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the prison near me you can't even do Prison Ministry unless one particular person approves you, and I've heard numerous Christians tell me that he is imposing his own belief system when it comes to who gets in to do prison ministry. :<

17. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered the poll in the sense of what is required to be a "baptist" of any variety. My answers did not always reflect my personal beliefs. I hope I didn't skew the poll.