1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Basic liberties are what?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Jan 3, 2010.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Other thread claims we have lost our "basic liberties." Someone please provide a list of basic liberties and note which we have lost. In what way have we lost them?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just some of the tiny ones to get the list started

Loss of Analog TV
    Required to purchase converter boxes
    Soon to be loss of incandesent light bulbs
    Soon to be loss of over the air tv
    Required to purchase cable/satelite
    Might well be required to purchase health insurance
    Loss of right to control your own property
    Required to care for part of your property the city/state calls theirs
    Loss of right to use your own property the way you wish

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Not a list I would have given. I would have started with the Bill of Rights.

However let's look at these:

Loss of Analog TV
    - Don't know that it is a basic liberty, but standards change over time. NTSC worked pretty well, even had color and stereo sound added after the fact, but still not bad. But not near as good picture quality as digital HD.

Required to purchase converter boxes
    - Nobody required this. It is your choice if you want to use the old analog sets to get DTV over the air.

Soon to be loss of incandesent light bulbs
    - I don't like that either, but a basic liberty?

Soon to be loss of over the air tv
    - Maybe, maybe not. OTA has seen a resurgence with DTV and multicasting capabilities.

Required to purchase cable/satelite
    - Lots of DTV issues, eh? :) Again, no one requires you do this.

Might well be required to purchase health insurance
    - You are already required to purchase other items (car insurance if you drive, homeowners insurance if you have a mortgage).

Loss of right to control your own property
    - Long gone through imminent domain, adverse possession, and HOA covanents. Nothing new.

Required to care for part of your property the city/state calls theirs
    - Easements are also nothing new

Loss of right to use your own property the way you wish
    - See previous two comments.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Insurance - auto insurance is required by law ( liability only) to protect you from other - a philosophy I believe in/
    Full auto coverage is only required by the bank - to protect them - of which they have the right to do so.

eminent domain - I fully understand eminent domain when needed for schools, roads, ect. But I am totally opposed when it is use to provide a private business additional land.

My basic values are found on my website VOICEOFACTION . And none of the four are no longer apparent

Salty

#4 Salty, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I wholeheartedly agree, Salty.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Nice website. Used to drive thru Syracuse on our way to school before you were born. You would have my vote if I could.

> 1. Individual Responsibility

This sounds good but the devil is in the details.

> 2. Limited Government

> 3. Lowest Level Government

Agree. Especially at the local level. Even up to the state level. Don't think it is possible to efficiently run a country with over 200 million people which is why I don't worry about one world government. It would rapidly fall apart.

4. Consistency in the application of laws

Lots of luck with this one!

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Loss of Analog TV
    - Don't know that it is a basic liberty, but standards change over time. NTSC worked pretty well, even had color and stereo sound added after the fact, but still not bad. But not near as good picture quality as digital HD."

Standards change, however this was ordered by congress costing millions to the citizen. From what I've read the gov. will make millions from the sale of freed frequencies.

"Required to purchase converter boxes
    - Nobody required this. It is your choice if you want to use the old analog sets to get DTV over the air."

You can't use the old sets without a converter box.

"Soon to be loss of incandesent light bulbs
    - I don't like that either, but a basic liberty?"

It is costing the public so they can feel good about "green" whatever that means.

"Soon to be loss of over the air tv
    - Maybe, maybe not. OTA has seen a resurgence with DTV and multicasting capabilities."

Oh it will come just a matter of whtn they decided to do it.

"Required to purchase cable/satelite
    - Lots of DTV issues, eh? :) Again, no one requires you do this."

Two is lots, not usually but if that is what you want to think. The point is they are taking away things that are used by millions of citizens making them do something else.

"Might well be required to purchase health insurance
    - You are already required to purchase other items (car insurance if you drive, homeowners insurance if you have a mortgage)."

"Loss of right to control your own property
    - Long gone through imminent domain, adverse possession, and HOA covanents. Nothing new."

Did not say they were new, just making the point of erroding ability to live your life the way you want to.

"Required to care for part of your property the city/state calls theirs
    - Easements are also nothing new" No they are not but sill limiting your rights no matter how old or how new.

"Loss of right to use your own property the way you wish
    - See previous two comments."

No, they are new, the local governments are making laws by the hundreds to limit what you can do. Our legislature passed over 400 new laws. Land use laws limit people from doing much of anything.

In OR the citizens pass initiatives and the legislature passes laws that counter the effect basically bypassing the citizens right to make changes.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

No one mentions the Bill of Rights? Isn't that supposed to be basic liberties?

If I was running for president my only plank would be free sports channel in every home. You all couldn't pass that one up.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Basic liberties are listed in the Constitution, specifically in the Bill of Rights. What is it with the postings tonight? I thought the full moon was over last week.