1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Basil Manley Sr. & Basil Manley Jr Needed Information

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all those who love the SBC and especially The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary:

I am doing some primary research on the founders of Southern Seminary. I need to find, borrow, buy, or otherwise acquire some sources either "by" or "about" Basil Manley Jr. I would prefer to only Jr. if possible.

If any on this section of the BB can help. It will be greatly appreciated. You can contact me here or you can PM me. I will be watching.

Manley was a hymnologist and psalmodogists (sp?) and there is not much out there. If you even know of some sources that can be found please let me know ASAP!?

Thanks for the help ahead of time.:thumbs:

"That is all!"

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assume you have googled - 73 hits on google alone. Also try other search sites as some find things others don't.

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ex. Reply!

Ex.,

Thanks my dear brother. Yes I have tried a google search. I have gleaned and sifted through ever thing that is relevant. And I have copied it. I am looking for anything that someone might have put back or "rat-holed" like old textbooks, old biographies, etc., et.

If anyone has anything like this, or even a line on something please let me know.

I know, even at Southern Seminary, there is not much that is extant. There is probably a greater collection at the Southern Baptist Archives in Nashville. I will probably have to take a couple of days and go up there and dig those primary and secondary sources out. It takes a lot of time but is well worth what is learned. There is "joy for the journey" in writing, researching, etc! But sometimes it is hard to see when you are in an old dusty library!:laugh:

Thanks for the help. I will be watching the BB to see if anything turns up. You can also PM me.:thumbs:

"That is all!"

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dug the dusty book shelves and found one of them quoted in Chafer's Systematic Theology. "Jr" is not listed so might be the first one ??? Wrote Bible Doctrine of Inspiration in 1888 published by A.C. Armstrong and Son, New York. Chafer quoted a number of other authors that Manly quoted in his book.

Ran a search for them in about 800 volumes on the computer and nothing so that is all.

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ex. Response

Thanks,

I have the volume on Inspiration of Scripture. B & H reproduced it a few years ago.

Thanks again for the help!

"That is all!"

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Furman University

Rhett, check out the James Buchannan Duke Library at Furman University. I think their archives contains some original Manly documents. Also, contact Basil Manly, IV SNIP (I believe there are some original documents and correspondence still held by the family.

Furthermore, if you can contact Jack Manly, missionary to Australia, you may find more resources from the family. I don't have contact information on Jack at present.

Let us know how your research progresses. Best wishes.

#6 paidagogos, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
  7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Basil Manly, Jr. is the author of The Biblical Doctrine of Inspiration, published in 1888.

This was 20 years after the death of Basil Manly, Sr., who died in 1868.

Ed

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member