1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BB Collective Nostalgia

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

I remember when dad was in seminary. 1973 or 1974. Streaking was in. We lived in student housing. Our parents let us camp out on the housing property. We all dared each other and 4-5 9 yr olds streaked the length of the park and back. Of course no one saw us, but, it was a york peppermint patty experience.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gib, that reminds me of a "game" we played in junior high (c.1960). Three of us guys would sneak up to a car parked at the "half moon", a favorite parking and necking place on the Wirth Parkway.

On a pre-arranged signal, a boy would open the back door of the car on one side, the other on the opposite. Light would come on, startling the couple.

And the "rabbit" would run THROUGH the back seat and out the other door. Then we would disappear into the trees and work cross country through yards to avoid being killed!

Two close calls - one when one of the doors was opened and my buddy shot in . . and the other door was LOCKED. He had to uturn and almost got nabbed.

The other was, unknown to us, the couple was down on the back seat doing their thing. I opened the door and looked eye-ball to eye-ball with an unhappy fellow! I stumbled backward and got a running start while he pulled on his pants!

Still remember that game like yesterday.

Hope it wasn't anyone on the BB . . . :rolleyes:

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

You made that up. No way you did that. That sounds like something the Happy Days gang would do.

We used to spotlight people parking. Most would leave thinking we were the police. There was one guy that followed us around town. He freaked us out when we got on the interstate and he tailed us. After several miles he turned off.

We went back the next weekend. We made sure it was not a black cutlass with wide tires and mags.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scout's honor, Gib. Did it 20-30 times. And did some "spotting" too. Learned a lot about sex for certain sure!!

Did I ever tell you about blowing up the shack on the golf course? As a young teen (12-15) I lived on the edge, having fun and pushing the envelope.

And getting paper cuts.

5. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

What about the lamp shade that had a boat on it, and you spun it a little and it looked like it was sailing the sea?

Jumping in Goodwill boxes and hiding until someone came...then scaring the beejeebers out of them. Then you hurried and ran...cause it was not allowed to be in the box!

'64 Corvett Rally Wheels with Rings and Caps! Sigh....."65 GTO...sigh even more.....Charcoal Grey Metalic.....sigh one more time....

Getting squirted with the hose, or Fire Hydrant....or even better...when it rained everyone came out to play!

Going to the first McDonalds. Hamburgers were 19 cents I think.

Chinese Fire Drills in your car at red lights!

When John Glen went to the moon!

When JFK got Killed....so sad....

When the Beatles first went on the Ed Sullivan Show....

Topo Gigio....I loved that mouse! Ok so he was not real! I still loved him!

Mighty Mouse!

I'll be back........

Sherrie

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When ridin' in the back of the pick-up was the cool thing to do! Let the tailgate down, sit on the edge as daddy would motor down the road!

Gasoline cost $.23/gallon and daddy would say, "Booooooy, you're wastin' it! Look at cha pourin' it on the ground! That stuff is expensive!!" Mercy!! $.23/gallon!!!

7. Gib

Gib Active Member

I remember one time some folks came over. They found a lit cigarette on the floor in the kitchen and stomped it out. Momma yelled out, "Hey! who turned of the heat...." :eek: :rolleyes:

8. Pete

Pete New Member

I'm "only" 34, but have been having some problems already.

As a kid/young bloke I watched a lot of TV and listened to a lot of music. Fast forward to today and I often find myself quoting some long forgotten words or ancient melodies :rolleyes: ...er...anyway... This generally confuses the poor 20-something yr olds I see in cab or on IRC. Can't schools teach all these important things from history?

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Gee Pete...34...hu...thats 10 years older than me! Hey that is in the 10 year limit for me! hehehehe!

Uh...I better run for the age police comes ...she's pretty quick sometimes!

Sherrie [​IMG]

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

[​IMG] good morning Sherrie

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOL! I'm not ashamed of my age! I praise God that I am a healthy woman of 53 on Dec. 29th! Old age is a blessing, not something to be ashamed of. :D

Pete, my oldest son is 32. The others are 28, 26 and 8. Been married 33 years on Oct. 10th.

Diane

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane is OLD THAN DIRT and now we know the skinny on it! :eek: [​IMG]

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Older than DIRT but younger than YOU! LOL. Hubby turned 56 last week. I never thought I'd be married to an 'old man'!

I really feel young. All my friends are younger than me. I don't 'think' I look my age except my neck is showing the years.

Diane

14. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Diane for real, you are almost 8 years older than me. I did not realize you were in your 50's.

WoW!

Sherrie [​IMG]

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Nope, Sherrie. Only 3 1/2. You had your birthday listed as June 26, 1954. I was born Dec. 28, 1950. You are one month younger than my brother.

Diane

16. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Once I had it listed as June 1925. I always change the year. You cannot go by that Diane!

Where is SingingCop...he will tell you I am very young!

Sherrie [​IMG]

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh, I got it off the original birthday list. [​IMG] Since you have a 15 year old granddaughter, I thought you were Dr. Bob's age at least!
    :eek: I'm older than dirt... but HE'S older than ME! :D
    Diane [​IMG]

18. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Diane, if you ever read my testimony, you would know that I was very young when I ran away from orphanage, and very young when meeting my Children's father and his parents.

My daughter also was very young when she had her first daughter, as she experienced something in her life that was very much uncontrollable for her, and I raised my Granddaughter, until just 2 months ago.

My husband died at the age of 40 of inherited heart disease, 2 1/2 years ago.

Sherrie [​IMG]

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I knew about your husband and you being desserted by your mother but I'm not sure I have seen your testimony. Didn't know how young you were when you married. I married two months before I turned 20. That wasn't young then... but is now! My two married kids were 28 and 25. My 26 1/2 year old is so shy he hardly even dates. LOL

Will your children possibly have the inherited heart problem? I pray not.

Diane

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane is older than Iowa and twice as corny. [​IMG]