1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BB food for thought- Fleeing quarrels and correcting opponents

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mexdeaf, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

BB is just like a lot of other places on the internet that allow for people to be outrageous through the veil of anonymity.

This is a great piece from the venerable Dr. Piper. I will always appreciate his voice and ministry.

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are worse, far worse, places on the internet than the BB, IMO. I, for one, have an affection for each of the regulars here on this site that I've grown to know, regardless of our differences. I believe there are many others here that feel likewise. I like to think that I have become more tolerant, or gentle, since coming here.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that mean even I am your buddy? :1_grouphug:

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea Salty, a lot of my old comrades were grunts just like you. I have much respect for them. :)

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

excellent article!

8. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I've said recently I'm going to say what I believe, and let it be, and let the scorners scorn.

At times, no matter what you say, even if you say "Jesus is Lord!" someone will find some loophole somehow and try to draw you into a fight over it.

Let the scorners scorn.

On error, treat it like as it is; error, such as one telling us God doesn't know things until they happen. Well, coming against this is fighting error and this should be fought and exposed, and gentle is in the eye of the beholder. Blatant false teaching should be rebuked sharply. The Scriptures teach this, and this article isn't all inclusive nor absolute, although I appreciate it. But take it for what it is. It is not exhaustive. If one still holds to error after being rebuked, leave them alone.

Ignorance also should be rebuked among those here who are arguing semantics of finer details in theology, yet can't even tell what the Gospel is, that is shameful, and shows how far off the church can be, and yes, again it is shameful. How are some going to be able to defend something if they don't even know what it is? Christians that don't know what the Gospel is? Are you kidding me? Even preachers brothers. I say this in love and in deep concern. If we don't know the milk, why are we arguing meat?

Reprove, rebuke, exhort, with longsuffering and doctrine. Rebuke openly, in front of others, is Scriptural at times. Is it or isn't it? Yes or no? No need to take me to task over this, let me say my peace and deal with it yourselves.

Again, say what you say, and let the scorners scorn. Rebuke those in ignorance for what they should know better, reprove them, and let them scorn if that is what their person let's them do, showing who they really are. Look, you can reprove people over their error, and it can be plain as day, and they won't see it. Leave them alone then. You did your job. Don't get side tracked into a back and forth (like I have on here, and no more from me.)

In other words, do your ministry, if the ones who are in ignorance or in error are reproved, want to continue to scorn and defend that, let it be and let them go. They are in a snare and don't even know it. Jesus even said concerning false teachers at one point "leave them alone." Sometimes that is what we have to do.

Obey Titus 3 in this, and if it comes down to it, 3:10-11 is in order.

I will say this last portion as my final thoughts. When we have churches fighting about doctrine, well, it can be good and it can be bad, and it is often something the Devil brings himself to sidetrack us from our main mission; to preach the Gospel. But when we have churches filled with preachers and/or teachers who can't tell another what the Gospel is, then we have weak churches that ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Period.

We need to get back to preaching the Gospel. IT, not your doctrinal stance, apologetic abilities, theological knowledge, degrees, years, age, pastorates, who you've rubbed elbows with, intellectual abilities, IQ, discernment, scriptural aptitude, whether arminian nor calvinistic, souls saved, size of church/ministry, following, fan club, no, IT is the power of God, Romans 1:16.

The Gospel and the Gospel alone is the power of God. It is the power of God, not you, not me. And when we have churches that don't even know what it is, then that is a shame. And when we have brothers who can't admit this, it is even worse!

When is the last time, preachers, that we have preached the Gospel? Where we have spent time, hours, prayer, exegesis, a heart felt burning desire to just preach the death, burial, and resurrection, as was preached at Pentecost, which Paul described in 1 Cor. 15 that he preached to establish churches (are churches established any other way?) and gave us its details, reminding the Corinthians what it is afresh, such as was preached on the missionary journeys, establishing churches by the preaching the death, the burial, and the resurrection.

Are we so smart that we have exhausted all of its meaning, or can we say we have not exhausted, nor have we executed the greatest truth unkown to man as we should, and that is the power that we need? The Gospel is the power of God. Our members need to hear it expounded upon, and when you are feeling a lack of power, turn to the dynamite of God. This is the only message God has given us to change the world we live in. Earnestly defend it, rebuke those who should know it and don't, and as Paul be set for the apologia of the Gospel.

Do your job, let the scorners scorn. We are on a mission (some of us, and others need to get with the program). Keep the main thing the main thing, it is the (not a) power of God.

#8 preacher4truth, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  9. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Amen Brother. No scorning heare....If I might add...as a blessed old preaching brother that gave me the charge at my ordination said to me "young Brother Preach the Word, Preach the Word, Preach the Word."