1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BB Recipe Collection #1

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by donnA, Dec 2, 2002.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Walls, recipes are one of my passions, and I love to share them.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Made this the other night for dinner,a nd we loved it.

Macho Fettachinni(am I spelling that right?)
    Cook 8 oz. of fettachinni(sp?) according to package directions.

1 lb. italian sausage(I used turkey italian thats what I had)
    2 c. sour cream
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    Cut the sausage into slices and cook in skilet, when done drain on paper towel. Mix all ingredients with cooked pasts, bake in casserole for 30 minutes.
    Good and simple, I served it with gnoochi, which I love.

3. Walls

Walls New Member

What's gnoochi? I have never heard of that!

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

For those of you who don't like corned beef but still want to be "Irish" on St. Patrick's Day, here is a recipe that is cheap, easy and good!

CABBAGE STEW

1 pound ground beef
    3 medium onions (thinly chopped)
    1/2 head cabbage (shredded)
    4 stalks celery (chopped)
    1 quart tomatoes
    1 40 1/2 ounce can kidney beans
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Garlic powder, to taste
    Soy sauce, to taste
    Vinegar, to taste

Brown beef in large heavy pot or skillet. Add onions, celery, and cabbage. Cook and stir until cabbage is light brown (glassy looking). Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.

(Tip) For those of you who have a food processor with the shredding blade attached, it makes shredding cabbage a snap)

THINK GREEN!
    [​IMG]
    Sue

5. Walls

Walls New Member

Thanks Sue,

I just happen to have all those ingredients. I was wondering what to fix tonight. I will try it and let you know. ;)

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Hi Walls,
    I first got the recipe for gnocchi from Betty Crocker, a recipe book my mom gave me in the early 1980's, soon after I was married. A few years ago I saw them make it on one of those day time shows, cooking, and crafting kind of stuff, thats how I learned to pronounce it. Thiers was made from flour and boiled, Betty's is made from corn meal and baked. Hers the recipe I use.

Gnocchi
    2 1/2 c. milk
    1c. cornmeal
    1 tablespoon margarine
    2 eggs, well beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1/4-1/2 c. parmesan
    optional, tomato sauce

HEat milk to scalding in 2-qt. sauce pan, reduce heat. Sprinkle cornmeal slowly in to hot mik, stirring consstanlty until thick. Cookstirring constantly about 5 minutes. (spoon will stand up right in mixture)remove from heat. Mix in 1 tablespoon margarine, the eggs, and salt, beat until smooth. Spread into square pan 8x8", cool in refrigerator, 3 hours.
    Heat oven to 425 degrees. Cut cornmeal mixture into 1 1/2" circles, place circles in greased casserole over lapping so the edges are on top of the circle before it. Dot with 2 tablespoons margarine, adn sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Broil tops to brown. Optional, serve tomatoe sauce on top.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I started a thread on here to collect different meatloaf recipes and I got a lot of them. I didn't get a chance to print them and now I can't find the thread.... Hubby wanted meatloaf tonight. [​IMG]

Does anyone know where I can find that thread?

Thanks!
    Sue

8. Walls

Walls New Member

Kate-that sounds really good.

Sue-tried out the cabbage stew. Not bad, although I definetly need to double the recipe for my crew. All we got was one bowl a piece. :(

9. I Am Blessed 24

Thanks Walls; I am planning on making it for tomorrow night. There are only two of us; will one recipe be enough? Was it really good? [​IMG]

KATE Help!!! I still haven't found the meatloaf thread. I looked in the 2003 archives; I may have overlooked it though.

[​IMG]
    Sue

10. Walls

Walls New Member

Yes Sue, one batch will be enough. My husband ate and he doesn't care for cabbage, so it wasn't that bad.

11. I Am Blessed 24

Hubby and I both loved the cabbage stew! It was delicious. I left out the vinegar and only used one onion instead of three, and I used 1 1/2# hamburger instead of just 1#. I served it with cornbread and chocolate pudding for dessert.

It made a BIG pot full. Will it hurt to freeze some of it because it has cabbage in it?

12. SAVED4LIFE

SAVED4LIFE New Member

13. I Am Blessed 24

Thank you Saved and Helen for finding my meatloaf recipes! I was sure they were lost someplace in cyberspace forever!

[​IMG]
    Sue

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I appologize Sue I haven't been on line much the last few days. I'm glad someone found the recipes for you. You can move them to this thread if you like, next time we'll know where they are.

15. I Am Blessed 24

Please don't apologize Kate. I completely understand. I just need to find out for myself how to find things. :confused:

Sue

16. I Am Blessed 24

Since St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner, I have been thinking of cabbage recipes. Here is a good one.

[​IMG]

CABBAGE ROLLS

one large head of green cabbage
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 lb. pork sausage
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 T. minced garlic or 2 cloves minced
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1~14 oz. can Italian style stewed tomatoes
    1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
    pinch of thyme
    2 cups cooked white rice
    2 T. flour
    1~14 oz. can tomato sauce

Wash cabbage and cut out the core of the cabbage. Use a large pot that will hold the whole head of cabbage, add 2 cups water and bring it to a boil. Add the cabbage bottom side down, cover pot and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside covered.

In a large skillet, cook ground beef, sausage, until meat is done, drain off any fat. Add onion, garlic, salt & pepper, celery, stewed tomato, mushrooms, and thyme. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes, add the rice, simmer for 10 minutes longer, adding a little water if needed. Stir in the flour, remove from heat and set aside.
    Mean while take the cabbage out of the pot, and peel off 7 or 8 whole cabbage leafs. {If you can't peel enough leafs off, put the cabbage back into the pot and boil 10 minutes longer}. Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling.

Place about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture in the middle of each leaf; fold in the sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down filling a 9x13 baking dish with your cabbage rolls. Cover with the tomato sauce. Pre heat oven to 350° and bake 45 minutes or until hot & bubbly. Serves 6
    Serve the left over cooked cabbage with cooked carrots, butter, salt & pepper.

Sue

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

yum love cabbage, love corned beef and cabbage. Soemtimes we just boil cabbge witha little meat for flavoring and have it with corn bread.

18. I Am Blessed 24

I love cabbage too Kate. Sometimes when I'm hungry for it I shred it, put it in a skillet with some butter, throw in a little garlic salt, fry it and use is as a vegetable dish.

19. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

This was in my newspaper and thought I would share:

Scones: not just for inns anymore
    02/26/03
    Marialisa Calta

Scones are one of the oldest and most basic of quick breads, according to my dog-eared copy of the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook (Countryman Press, 1992). The word "scone" probably derives from the German word "schoonbrot," which means "fine bread." Since wheat did not grow well in Scotland, scones were originally made from oat or barley flour mixed with water to form a dough, and "baked" on a griddle. With the advent of commercial leavening agents, reliable ovens and affordable wheat flour, scones have evolved into a light breakfast bread. In England, they are an essential part of "Cream Tea," in which they are split and served with jam laced with clotted cream. In the United States, I associate scones with country inns and bed and breakfasts. It's been my experience that any place featuring wall stenciling as part of its decor is sure to have scones on the breakfast table. But scones are making a path toward more sophisticated venues. I was delighted to find a delicious recipe in the new, serious, "foodie-centric," cookbook from Judy Rodgers, "The Zuni Cafe Cookbook" (W.W. Norton & Co., 2002). Who would have guessed that a cookbook with recipes for pickling glasswort, and that calls for such exotic ingredients as Zante grapes, gypsy peppers, and Kabocha squash, would include a simple, yummy recipe for Orange Currant Scones? The other recipes here come from the King Arthur book, and from Beth Hensperger's "The Bread Bible" (Chronicle Books, 1998). I've also included my personal favorite breakfast bread, which are scone-like in shape and method but have no shortening or eggs. They are from Deborah Krasner's book "From Celtic Hearths" (Studio Books, 1991).

ORANGE CURRANT SCONES 3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup sugar 4 teaspoons baking powder 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 sticks cold butter 1/2 cup dried currants 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest 1 large egg 1/2 cup whole milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the currants and orange zest and toss well. Whisk together the eggs and milk. Add to the dry ingredients and mix and fold until the dough clumps together and the flour is absorbed. Don't worry if the dough is a little streaky. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 balls. Pat each one into a 6- to 7-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Roll about 1 inch thick and cut like a pie into 6 wedges each. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 25 to 30 minutes. These are best served warm from the oven. Yield: 12 scones Recipe from "The Zuni Cafe Cookbook," by Judy Rodgers (Norton, W.W. & Co., 2002)

LEMON CREAM SCONES 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder grated zest of 2 lemons 1/4 teaspoon salt 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces 2 large eggs 1/2 cup cold heavy cream 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar, for sprinkling (optional)

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper. In a medium bowl using a whisk or electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Using a fork or electric mixer, cut in the butter. The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until a shaggy, sticky dough is formed. Turn the dough out onto lightly floured work surface and knead gently, about 6 times, just until the dough holds together. Divide into 2 equal portions and pat each into a 1-inch-thick round about 6 inches in diameter. Cut each round into quarters, making a total of 8 scones. The scones can also be formed by cutting them out with a 3-inch biscuit cutter to make 10 or 12 smaller scones. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar, if desired. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crusty and golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 wedge-shaped scones or 10 to 12, 3-inch round scones Recipe from "The Bread Bible," by Beth Hensperger (Chronicle Books, 1998)

SOUR CREAM SCONES 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a mixing bowl, blend the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar together. Scoop in the sour cream all at once, and stir together for 20 seconds, or just until the dry ingredients are damp. Turn this light dough out onto a floured board and knead, very gently, 10 times. Pat or roll it out into a 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick round. Flour a metal spatula, bowl scraper or knife and cut the round into quarters. Flour a pancake turner or metal spatula again and gently lift each scone onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm from the oven. Yield: 4 large scones

Recipe from "The King Arthur 200th Anniversary Baking Book," (Countryman Press, 1992)

OAT FARLS 2 cups "old-fashioned" rolled oats (not quick-cooking or instant) 2-1/4 cups buttermilk 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda

The day before serving, mix the oats with 1-1/4 cups of the buttermilk. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Gradually beat the flour mixture into the oat-buttermilk mixture, adding as much of the remaining buttermilk as is needed to form a soft dough. (You may not need to use all of it.) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat or roll it out to form a 1-inch-thick circle about 9 to 10 inches in diameter. With a sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges, and place on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm with butter and jam. Yield: 8 servings Recipe from "From Celtic Hearths," by Deborah Krasner (Studio Books, 1991)

Copyright 2003, Newspaper Enterprise Assn.

Sherrie [​IMG]

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thanks Sherrie, I've never made scones, but have always wanted too. This might be the time to try them, now that I have recipes.