1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be careful what you say??

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Aug 5, 2003.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

During the funeral, do you express if the deceased actually lived a Christian lifestyle if he din't? Hou so you deal with the lost who die?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I have preached the funeral of a person I don't know or a person who gave no evidence of conversion, I don't speculate on the status of the deceased. I simply preach point out the inevitability of death, the precious nature of life, our responsibilities toward God and each other and Jesus being the way to life, now and forever.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree, BB. I've heard reprobates lauded as if the kin of Mother Teresa . . and people walked away saying "Who was the preacher talking about?"

Talk about Jesus and make everyone WANT to go to heaven!

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Send them to the Undertaker, then dig a 8' x 4' x 6' hole in the ground... You know just the same as for anybody else silly! [​IMG]

Seriously, I would not preach them into heaven that is for sure. I like Baptist Believer's approach. I surely would present the gospel for the benefit of those other unsaved folks that would be at the funeral service.

5. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

R. A. Torrey was to give the message at Moody's funeral. He said, "I have not come to talk about D.L. Moody but about the GOD of D.L. Moody." It is my practice to focus the funeral on our ultimate hope, the Lord, not the deceased, whether the person was a sinner or saint.
    I think it's appropriate to share personal things about the deceased. Let the family share special memories. But eulogies which excessively praise men are never appropriate. Have a eulogy in the service, but the message should focus on Christ.

6. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I heard a great reply concerning a funeral of a lost man. He left his wife and child for another woman, then claimed to receive salvation later on in life but alas, died living the same sinful lifestyle he proclaimed to be saved from (in fact, he was hit by a bus when he staggered out of a bar in a drunken stupor). He cheated on his "new" wife many times and really only went to Church that one time he made a profession. At the funeral the Pastor was confronted by the new wife who asked, "Is he in heaven preacher?" He was also confronted by the daughter and first wife who told the preacher that he had better never tell them that he is in heaven or they will just walk away from their faith. He merely said this. I cannot tell you for sure that he is in heaven or hell because only God truly knows the heart of the individual but I do know one thing, if he could come back today and tell you one thing, he would say this: Oh yes, there is a Jesus Christ and YES he did die for your sins PLEASE do listen to his call for you. I think that was a pretty good response. [​IMG]