1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be Fruitfull and Multiply

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

In France the average birth rate is about 1.5 kids per household. The average birth rate of the Muslims that are moving into France is about 6 per household. In a few generations France will be a Muslim nation.

In the U.S. the birth rate is about 1.9 (this in just below replacement rate). My question is why are we not being fruitfull and having more kids? How long before the Muslims out breed us?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I just don't think out breeding the muslims is our purpose, not everyone born in a christian fmaily will become a christian, yet some born in a muslim family will become christians.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

The goal of having children is not to outbreed a certain religion or ethnicity.

This is a priesthood of the believer issue as to what constitutes "fruitful."

4. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I think we arent having kids here because of the economy and state of our nation at this moment although I know of 4 friends who are pregnant (one just announced yesterday!) and for none of them this is their 1st. The more i have researched what you wrote about in comparison to the United States and everything the more I see more and more that the citizens of the US are interested in order which means 2 kids, house with white picket fence, 2 cars, husband and wife which is the dream scenario. With the divorce rate so high here thats not the norm here. I know of so many women who have 1-2 children and raise them on their own struggling paycheck to paycheck. People who use welfare have gotten such a bad rap that our population isnt increasing like France because of that as well.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes we are no longer an agrarian society. I have the inside Europe track. Moslems there are out breading the Europeans because they intend on taking over. They on the other hand aren't as responsible and live off of European welfare. Italy is becoming very angry and are taking severe steps to stem this issue such as having armed militia walking the streets. France has riots. it won't belong before you see this in the UK.

As far as the US. We don't have kids because our culture is anti-kids. I have four and I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked by my fellow church members if this is the last child I have. When will I go into surgery. Its not like I'm on welfare and am not providing for my kids! Our economy is based on information and technology post industrial. The agricultural years are gone and the necessity for large families. On the other hand lets learn a lesson from the Spartans. They eventually were defeated by their slaves not because of their military might but because in their last days there weren't enough spartans to fight. They promoted Homosexuality and women had to threaten the men to breed with them and fulfill their responsibility. They didn't breed enough and were in the end out number by their servant class.

I may not have all the things everybody wants to have but I provide for my family and their needs are met. Too bad people don't value children as they once did.

6. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I'm afraid I don't agree shortandy. France is one of the most secular countries in the world, if not the most secular. They were one of the first countries to ban Muslim girls from wearing headscarves in public places of education. Therefore, I can see some Muslim children turning their back on Islam, but also I feel that even if 75% of it was Muslim, the other 25% would be very stubbornly secular (apart from the Christian and Jewish minorities). On top of this, there could be a wave of immigrants from other parts of Europe which are not Muslim, therefore lowering the percentage of Muslims.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

We have 5 children. Trying to do my part... :laugh:

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

How do you have half a child, or nine tenths of a child? :laugh: I didn't know we were in a race to see who can have the most children and overpopulate the world. Whatever happens, God will be the Victor in the end, and all those not on His side are the losers.

#8 Jon-Marc, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Well, if you do, make sure they're all right.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

We had 2 boys, and we wanted more but I nearly died during surgery having the last one, and the doctor told my husband if we had another he wouldn't be able to save both of us, and maybe neither of us.

11. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Our goal is not necessarily to outbread the pagans although we see this is the purpose of having many kids in the Old Testament. The Isaelites where commanded to have lots of kids so they would be wiped out in excile.

But we limit the number of kids we are having because we value money and things over children, which the bible says is a gift or a reward in Psalm 127. By the way its funny to see those people who say they can't afford it with a new boat in the yard.

Now back to the topic. What is going to happen to our culture if the birth rates stay the same? Chew and this and get back to me. There are 16 million Southern Baptist (on paper not in the pews). Our birth rates are a little less than replacement rate (1.9). Evangelism isn't going to keep us growing is it? On average it takes 40 Sourthern Baptist to reach and baptize one. Should we be having more kids?

12. nunatak

nunatak New Member

As for me, I have 3 kids.

My purpose is not worrying about American culture, lol.

It is proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...how many wives in a Muslim household?

14. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am trying to outbreed the Arminians. :godisgood:

15. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Okay bad choice of words on my part...not american culture but our Christian culture. But how well are we doing at speading the gospel? See some posts on the youth forum about loosing the battle. We are loosing over 70% of our students after their freshman year of college. And again it takes an average of 40 baptist to reach one. So we are not reaching enough and we are not retaining the ones we reach. Baptist life is going to be dead in a matter of generations. But maybe this is God's will. Maybe this is the end times.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

not necessarily, some limit children because they know they can not take care of more. Making children you cannot take care of is irresponsible.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Child replenishment in this nation is going to be a very big problem as the "Baby Boomers" (BB's) retire. We are seeing this trend now. All Social Security programs depend on the next generation being larger than the previous one. The BB's are going to out number generation next, 4 to 1.

I was born in '56 and am considered at the last of the BB generation. SS will be stretched to immediate collapse by the time I reach 67. (Of course it doesn't help that Congress has IOU'd SS into the trouble that it is in today). However, if you think about it, all savings accounts, 401k's, et al, depend upon the next generation to save as well to help with the interest gained.

Not everyone is saving what they should be. Sense Roe v Wade 49 million lives of the next generation have been killed before they drew their first breath. That's a lot of folks that could have been contributing to 401k's, Social Security and other sources for interest on their money. We are headed for financial disaster because we have not done what God has wisely counseled us to do, "Be fruitful and multiply".

Every family should have a minimum of 4 children.

Think about it for a minute. Even if you saved every dime you earned and you retired at the age of 65, you will need enough to sustain you through 20 expected years of life. How much will you need to maintain a mortgage, property taxes, food, clothing, utilities and transportation for 20 more years of life? Will a million $'s be enough? If you think gas is high today, what will it be in 10 to 20 years from now? I Don't think that 1 million dollars will be enough. And that does not even take into account your health care needs.

Who then do we think the burden for our care is going to be on? Our 2.9 children! Four children will barely be enough. Remember that they will have in laws too. The wife's family as well as the husband's.

You say your 401k will cover Social Security's discrepancies. Think again. Look at your 401k these days. Mine has lost several thousand $'s in just the last 3 months. It goes the way of the stock market.

Folks the Word of God is true, Children are a blessing and "blessed is the man that has his quiver full of them". Children have always been a Nation's treasure and a families welfare.

I have listened to this trash about population control too and have failed to do as God instructed by having only 2 children. Now it looks like my savings and 401k are not going to be enough. My goal these days is to be at least debt free by the time I reach 65.

May God forgive us for not trusting His Word and listening to man's advice. :tear:

Mel

18. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay wait a minute! 4 kids! Yikes I can barely handle the 2 I have and yes there are days I would like to have 3 but 3 would be the limit. I want to be able to provide for my kids to give them their needs and wants and not have to struggle. I think thats why families are having smaller families they see the need to provide for the kids rather than being broke as a joke! Those of you that can have a family with 4 to 5 kids I commend you but as an ex wife of a soldier and someday the wife of another soldier there would be no way I could handle all those kids and yes I do work full time in the workforce I am not a stay at home mom so yes I contribute to a 401 K and a retirement fund and social security and all that and yeah I totally agree that we need to revamp social security but having more kids isnt the answer...yikes

19. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have 4 kids. I am the only one employed in our family - a pastor (and believe me, we ain't getting rich!!). But, I know that it is God who is doing the providing - not me. He has allowed me to have a job. He makes sure that our needs are met. If He would have blessed us with 10 kids (which was what my wife wanted), He would be just as able to provide. My God is limitless! He owns everything. I have complete faith that He will take care of our needs. He has for our 31 years of marriage and 4 kids, and He will continue to do so.

You see, it's not all about me. It's about Him.
    It's not all about my plans. It's about His plans.
    My focus is not on me and what I can do. My focus is on God and what He can do.

We serve a mighty, awesome God!! "To God be the glory, great things He has done!"

20. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Wow, SBC preacher, to God be the glory.