1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be Fruitfull and Multiply

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

When you see the term in the Bible do you think it means 1 or 2? Be honest. No exact number is given we all know that. A little strawman on your part I guess. But it seems pretty clear they were to have as many as God gave. Could that be two for you and 4 for someone else? I would say so.

#101 Shortandy, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Where are your verses.....Where is that passage that says stop having them because of money....or because of culture....or because I just don't want them? All we have is what we have in 66 books of the Bible...and Donna the speaks about having a lot (no exact number just as many as the Lord allows).

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have stated that in jest, but since you asked, well.........

If you were a Muslim with 3 wives, and each wife in their in their lifetime gave birth to 4, you now have a Muslim family of 16. If of those 12 offsprings you have 6 males, 6 females, and each of these 6 males had 3 wives like you, with each wife again giving birth to 4 children in their lifetime, then you now have in your brood, from your loins, 12 children, and 72 grandchildren, and that's only by your sons. If each of your 6 daughters gave birth to also 4 each, then you have an additional 24 grandchildren in your family tree. Total Muslims from one patriarch ? You, your wives, 12 children, and 96 grandchildren. That's 112. How long before this number is reached ? Well, since Muslims mostly marry young, I would say that by the time you, the patriarch, are 70 years old, you will have more than the above number, and will probably be looking at one or two generations of great grandchildren.

I am thankful that Muslims do not have the breeding capacity (gestation, sexual maturity and productivity period, etc) of rats, because if they did, they would be overflowing their boundaries and probably overflowing other countries as well.b Did you know that one mama rat plus one papa rat (left unchecked) will produce approximately 6, 000 rats in one year ? And that is a very, very conservative estimate.

Considering the question being discussed is that Muslims are breeding fast, is this not a valid argument ?

#103 pinoybaptist, Jun 26, 2008
  4. rbell

rbell Active Member

It amazes me how little priesthood of the believer means to some.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

So in your opinion it doesn't matter if we feed children or not. a lot? How many is a lot? More then one or two isn't it.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

I would have died, and nearly did with the last one. God does give us wisdom for a reason.
    I never said it was wrong for you to have more then 2 children.

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what number it implies, but I'm not about to go around telling folks they don't have enough kids. How many kids they have is none of my business.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two short comments:
    1. If you're busy breeding LOTS of children, you aren't going to have time to go to the bathroom, much less evangelize the world.

2. The reason we're having fewer children is because the men aren't birthing their 50%. See, if the wife has the first child, the husband should have the second, but they keep dropping the ball after the first baby is born.:laugh:

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ya'll frame this post. Nicely said.

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Imho, the logical rule of thumb would be can the parent properly take care of her children on her own if the older children did not help with one another. Dad is usually at work

11. TLB

TLB New Member

why would you want to cultivate an atmosphere of selfishness?

do you really want a child to grow up and thing that the world revolves around only them?

**ETA...it is very natural for children to want to help out**

#111 TLB, Jun 26, 2008
  12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hey Joe? Did you ever not help at home once you were able to as a child?

Why would anyone want to parent in such a way as to allow their children to do nothing toward their own care or the family good? Older children helping out with the younger children does not mean mother is not caring for her children! Where does this sort of attitude come from?

Perhaps we need a better description of just what folks here mean by the older children are "parenting" the younger. Does this mean that the older children discipline the younger ones? Are we describing the older children having to serve the younger children a drink of water, while mother is tending to another chore? Just what do people here think larger families do that constitutes "older children parenting the younger ones"?

Cause I'm going to tell ya. I don't do anything for my children that I think they can do for themselves. I want children who are independent, can think for themselves and have enough experience with life to be able to make their own decisions when they are grown and be confident they are making right ones. They can't learn these things if they don't get "hands on experience"!

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

How in the world does taking care of children relate to being selfish to you?
    The world revolves around a child, where does that come from, it certainly hasn't been said, nor hinted at.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've already given my defination, as has been told to me numberous times by christian families.
    I've also heard grown people declare they did not intend on having children because they've already raised their syblings.

Children under 10 responsible for the health, safety and unkeep of younger children, having to make adult decisions about those children, making supper dish and serving them, instead of mom taking care of them, babysitting 5 younger children while mom goes out, solely responsible for making sure all chirldren get dressed for school and get to school. How young is too young to be responsible for doing laundry?
    5yr olds solely responsible for changing diapers and heating bottles and feeding a baby.

You all seem to think this is not happening and has not happened and if it did it is a good thing.

I am not talking about normal chores, clean your room, pick up after yourself, etc. But doing mom's job. If women don't want to do their job as a mother they should not have children. This is whats selfish, creating children and throwing them off on others and go about a merry happy life.

#114 donnA, Jun 26, 2008
  15. TLB

TLB New Member

i'm not saying taking care of children is related to being selfish. i'm saying if you teach a child that the world revolves around them, by being their maid and not their parent, then they will turn out to be selfish. by nature humans are very selfish creatures.

i really think we are spinning our wheels...you still haven't answered the questions

1) what (for you) defines a "childhood"

2) what crosses the line in a child/children helping out (ie chores) and them doing the mother's job

until we have a clear understanding of the the above questions, noting will be gained by continuing this discussion.

16. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What about the parents who cannot have children, or only one? Are they going contrary to God's command? Infertility is a hidden heartache for many, many couples.

love,

Sopranette

Edit: and, yes, it IS healthy for older siblings to take care of younger ones. I've said this before. Too many children these days have no responsibilities, and that leads to a "gimme 'cause I deserve it" attitude.

#116 Sopranette, Jun 26, 2008
  17. donnA

donnA Active Member

I fail to see anyone here advocating teaching a child the world revolves around them. If you believe taking care of children means they are being taught the world revolvesd around them then I'm sorry. I amde my babies bottles, and changed their diapers, washed their clothes, and when they were injured I took care of them, when they were old enough for school I made sure they were ready for school, I layed out their clothes, I cooked for them, and I made their plates.
    And this you call selfishness. Because I didn't shove my kids off on someone else.
    I have already, several times answered the questions your asking.

#117 donnA, Jun 26, 2008
  18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently, according to some on here, if they don't ahve 10 or 12 kids they are sinning and disobedient, and not worth being parents, and are selfish, and teaching their child the world revolves around them.

19. menageriekeeper

Okay, now we are clear. I think there is a problem with the above too.

But, this is bad parenting and has little to with the number of children in a family! Parents of only one or two children do this sort of thing too. Why do you seem to only being applying this sort of behavior to large families?

20. menageriekeeper

I'm don't believe anyone here has claimed this, Donna.