1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Be sure you have your warp and woof ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by exscentric, Dec 31, 2007.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in your being set right!

"The Los Angeles Times
    profiles Bible publisher Zondervan and their efforts to make the Bible "attractive" to the culture. From the story: Zondervan plans to keep stoking demand by making sure God's word looks hip, sounds relevant and is advertised all over, including in Rolling Stone magazine and Modern Bride, on MySpace -- even on a jumbotron in New York City's Times Square. "A lot of people read the Bible because it's obligatory, something to keep God off their backs," says Paul J. Caminiti, a vice president at Zondervan. "We're looking to turn them into Bible lovers... so it becomes part of the warp and woof of their being.""

from crosswalk.com email news today.

2. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Ok, I have no idea what "warp and woof" refers to, but I'm glad Z is trying to show to the culture that the Bible is relevant and attractive. Every time I see one of those wholesome LDS family commercials I wonder why mainstream denominations don't run more of them, too.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Lev 13:47 "When a garment has a mark of leprosy in it, whether it is a wool garment or a linen garment,
    Lev 13:48 whether in warp or woof, of linen or of wool, whether in leather or in any article made of leather,
    Lev 13:49 if the mark is greenish or reddish in the garment or in the leather, or in the warp or in the woof, or in any article of leather, it is a leprous mark and shall be shown to the priest.
    Lev 13:50 "Then the priest shall look at the mark and shall quarantine the article with the mark for seven days.
    Lev 13:51 "He shall then look at the mark on the seventh day; if the mark has spread in the garment, whether in the warp or in the woof, or in the leather, whatever the purpose for which the leather is used, the mark is a leprous malignancy, it is unclean.
    Lev 13:52 "So he shall burn the garment, whether the warp or the woof, in wool or in linen, or any article of leather in which the mark occurs, for it is a leprous malignancy; it shall be burned in the fire.

I believe it had to do with the way fabric was woven.

I think one direction of the yarn was called the warp and the other direction of the weave was the woof. (one horizontal and one vertical)

#3 Amy.G, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I learn something new everyday. :)

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!:thumbs:

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

"Warp and woof" (or "warp and weft") is a term from weaving. Warp threads were those running the length of the loom. Woof or weft threads were those woven over an under alternating warp threads, thus producing cloth. Indeed, "weft" in Old English was the past tense of the verb "to weave."