Beckwith's "Conversion"

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges / Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician
    Expand Collapse

To all who who have an ear:

I know this "will open up a can of worms" but here goes.

A famous evangelical, Prof Beckwith at Baylor, has converted (or "reverted") to the RCC "persuasion." It caused an uproar in the ETS 'cause he was in a prominent place of leadership.

Having said that I want to point all of you to an article that my dear colleague Timothy George has written. Timothy has said it well.

When folk go to the CES web page and ask me how I can be "Baptist, Reformed, and Ecumenical?" this article would well answer that question.

"Look and see:"

http://www.beesondivinity.com/templates/System/details.asp?id=25215&PID=474649

Please be kind when you come back with answers and responses. I am opening this up but want to maintain a level of collegiality (sp?).:laugh:

Let me have it! (but not too hard).

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill
    Expand Collapse

So now he will saying his hail mary's and celebrating a transustantiated last supper as well as enjoying the baptizing by sprinkling of babies. He will also be embracing a celibate separated priesthood. My stepfather was catholic and I studied catechism for 2 years, went to mass and all that stufff, but the above mentioned is exactly why I did'nt become catholic.Do I believe there are catholic Christians? Yes I do, I just think they are in serious error about some things.:godisgood:

3. paidagogos

paidagogos
    Expand Collapse

A spirit of compromise?

I appreciate Dr. George's spirit of tolerance and intellectual liberty toward Dr. Beckwith but I am somewhat disappointed that an intellectual of Reformed persuasion did not differentiate between his love and respect for the individual, who is likely truly regenerate, and the tenets of a false religion. Let's face it--Roman Catholicism is a false religion. A large part of Roman Catholic doctrine is false doctrine--we cannot condone, tolerate or approve it. IMHO, Dr. George shied away from the hard-line stance of the Reformers--his avowed spiritual heritage. Is this how Scripture instructs us to deal with false teachers and false teaching? (BTW, I am also disappointed that Dr. George included Karl Barth among his recommended theologians. The others are highly commendable but Barth opened the door to an orthodox-sounding theology that is hardly orthodox. See Van Til and Schaeffer on Barth.)

On the other hand, there are individual Roman Catholic believers who know and believe enough of the truth for their personal salvation but the body of Roman Catholic doctrine weighed in the balances as a whole is error, although laced here and there with some truths, without Biblical underpinnings. What's worse is the syncretism of Roman Catholicism with its assimilation of local superstitions, animism, paganism, etc. Yet, are we to tolerate unBiblical teachings and patently false doctrine to avoid confronting or offending them? I think not.

What is my take on Dr. Beckwith? He is a believer, although an educated academic with a scholarly and intellectual reputation working in Christian venues, who lacks discernment, understanding and grounding in orthodox Christian doctrine and thought. He is, no doubt, a fine man of good intentions and scholarship but he is bereft of the truth and knowledge in some areas.

#3 paidagogos, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  4. paidagogos

paidagogos
    Expand Collapse

A spirit of compromise?

Oops, double post! Sorry!

#4 paidagogos, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2007
  5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill
    Expand Collapse

My step-fathers side of the family is catholic or I probably would'nt know this. My aunt Betty is a part of a large group of catholics who hold weekly BIBLE studies and prayer meetings even a protestant might recognize. This movement has been growing in the U.S. for over 20 years and is supposed to be pretty large.It will be intersting to see where this goes.