1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Becoming Ordained?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by BMaco, Feb 28, 2002.

1. BMaco

BMaco Guest

I do not know if I am asking this in the proper section or not. If I am not, please forgive me as I am new to the board. As a matter of fact, this is my first posting. My question is, how does one become ordained and more importantly, what are the requirements or prerequisits for becoming ordained? I am very much interested. Thank You!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome, Bill - Take a minute and tell us about yourself!

As for ordination, here are some thoughts:

Ordination is the Right of a church, not a council or denomination or seminary.

Pre-requisites include License to preach, credentials of training, Church membership, experience in ministry (not a novice). It is not just an academic exercise.

Preparation for ordination is a time of self-examination and prayer

Ordination is a priority for Pastor - It is needed for Church Ceremonies - marriage, baptism, Lord’s Supper; needed for Government Recognition - taxes, social security deferment

So when a man is trained and has some time of experience in the pastorate, then these steps would take place:
    1. Call Council of Ordained men to question and recommend whether local church should ordain or not
    2. Clear testimony of conversion
    3. Clear testimony of call into the ministry
    4. Presentation of Education/Academic training
    5. Clear testimony of character and ethics
    6. Detailed doctrinal exposition (longest part)
    7. Denomination distinctives
    8. Experience, testimony of fellow-workers

If the council gives a "thumbs up" and the church agrees, they should hold a service to publically ordain and set apart this fellow to the Gospel ministry.

Just general, so if you have questions, fire away!

3. Bill,

i was recently ordained to the full work of the Gospel.

here is how it came about.

first, about 3 years ago, i shared with my pastor, i felt like the Lord had called me to preach. slowly, my pastor begain to let me "open" services. i.e., an opportunity to say a few words dealing with scripture. not a lot just something i felt an impression about.

the reason for this is so the congregation can determine whether or not that person, me, has a gift to preach/teach.

once the congregation was satisfied i had the gift to preach, then my pastor began to share the time with me in the pulpit. at this point my pastor and the congregation is making sure of my soundness in doctrine. to make sure i preached what i said i believed.

when enough time has passed and there is no set time, could be a year or two, then the congregation would bring to vote to liberate the "candadate". this simply means i could preach/teach outside of my home church. once i was liberated, i begain taking appointments at various churches. this is another way to determine whether or not the "candadate" has the gift. if there is not anything negative coming back to the home church and the "candadate" continues to get asked back to the same churches, then the next step is ordination services. i was liberated almost 2 years before i was ordained.

the ordination itself was very specail to me.....it was on Saturday. during the morning service, i was put in the pulpit to preach, so if any of the ordaining ministers had not heard me preach would have an opportunity. it's difficult to lay hands on someone if you have never heard them preach.

we broke for lunch!!! (all good Baptist must eat)

in the afternoon service the church went into conferance and ordered the minitstry present to form a presbytry. one of the ministers questions the home church, to make sure they are still in of the same mind to ordain the candadate. then another minister questions the candadate. this could go on for some time. it is the way the candadate shows his knowledge of scripture and practice. any of the ministers may ask questions. once all the ministers are satisfied of the candadate's soundness in doctrine and practice then the ministers lay hands on the candadate and a prayer is asked. thencomes the preaching of the charge to the new Elder.

i was nervous, happy, scared....all of those things. iwould not change it for the world.

that is pretty much the way Primitive Baptist ordain our Elders.

Changed like Saul

Elder Chris Folsom

www.pbsermons.org

4. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bill

Howdy.

In my experience one would not be ordained until a church somewhere wanted your services as their pastor. It isn't something to do on a whim, and I hope that doesn't sound disrespectful, for it isn't intended to be.

If a church has seen fit to ask you to be their pastor, then they must make the arrangements, and judge your qualifications in conjunction with the church of which you are a member (assuming they are two different bodies).

Jeff Weaver

5. BigErv

BigErv New Member

Here the basic biblical guidelines for ordination:

I Timothy 3
    1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
    5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
    6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
    7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
    8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
    9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
    10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
    11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
    12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
    13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
    15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
    16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.