1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Been to Memphis?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Speedpass, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been there lots of times since last spring, doing inventories there. But I have also visited the Wolfchase Galleria and the Peabody downtown in my spare time. I still haven't made it to Graceland or the Elvis restaurant though. [​IMG]

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have been through Memphis more times than I can count.

I love the bridge across the Mississippi.

I have been to St. Jude's.

I have been by the pyramid.

I have wanted to go to the Island.

I have been by Graceland.

i have bought Elvis Mementos.

I went to Bellvue Baptist.

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I won't go over to Mudd Island. Can't do heights. The bridge over Mississippi was terrifying. Museums are great. Watching the ducks walk out of the hotel was cute. Could not bring myself to eat Crawdads (however you spell it). The Elvis stuff was rediculous to me, and way over priced. Hey folks...he is just a man. And I learned never go to Memphis when the dead-heads (grateful dead followers) are there. Even by accident. sorry Jimmy....didn't care for Memphis that much.

Sherrie

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Came across the bridge and stayed in an older hotel right off the ramp there. Fun to walk around (later told I was taking my life in my hands). [​IMG]

When traveling I try to stay in motels that have an indoor pool, so stayed way out on the bypass to the northwest at a Holiday Inn during the St. Jude Golf Classic. Feel much safer there than in the inner city. :cool:

Never made the trip across the skyway or to the pyramid .. and wouldn't go across the street to spit on Elvis' grave. :rolleyes:

5. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, many of my friends say that Nashville is alot nicer than Memphis overall.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Except for the Island and Germantown Mall, I would rather be in Nashville, too.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Been to Memphis!!! Been to Memphis!!

We lived on the Mississippi line from Memphis

1. Christmas shoppin' and eating out with my wife(we had no kids at the time!) Got down to 8 degrees that nite!! Holy Mo-ley!! It was downright booger cold for this Cajun boy!!

2. Many of the Senior Adult women in our church had doctors who practiced in Memphis--they didn't like to drive up--so when they needed to go they'd ask me to drive. One of the ladies had an Electra---and buddy, was it a smooth ride into the city! I always liked to drive those ladies into Memphis for those "check-ups" 'cause I knew they'd want to stop at Western Sizzlin' on the way home!!!! Their treat for the preacher!!! That's one reason I have to wear 38 pants now instead of the 34's I started preachin' in 15 years ago!!! Anyway!!!!

3. Would go to Dr. Rogers' church on those special occasions--he's one of my Southern Baptist heros!!

Never had a "flinging" to go see anything that remotely resembled Elvis, though!!!

Your Southern Baptist friend,
    Blackbird