1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Beer Drinking In Germany

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, Feb 23, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Being drunk and being fat are separate issues which are condemned by scripture. It amazes me how one can so easily dismiss gluttony which scripture clearly speaks against.Why teach one and not the other? Why not teach both? Seems like scripture should be taught and not one's personal preferences.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you hit the nail on the head. There was a day when fat ladies were considered beautiful. I often wonder how much we buy into the world in what we judge?

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Fat gluttonous people preach against alcohol consumption, thin alcohol consuming persons preach against gluttony, and fat alcohol consuming people...preach...against...uh...wait...nevermind... :laugh:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There is no sin of consuming alcohol.

Most of us let the BIBLE tell us what is sin and what is not sin.

As such we do not call the consumption of alcohol a sin since the Bible does not call it a sin.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I haven't disputed that gluttony is a sin. What I find humorous is that gluttony is always used to justify drinking. When the topic of drinking comes up, invariably we here about the fat preacher that doesn't preach against gluttony.

6. preacher4truth

So, wonder why the fat preacher doesn't preach against gluttony? I know of preachers who consume alcohol who preach against drunkards.

Many preachers eat too much, and they know it. I recall years ago when I was younger, being at a preachers fellowship being mocked by the 'fat' preachers because I was in shape, or because I 'worked out'. Obviously it made them feel uncomfortable. A large percentage of them were overweight.

Not all who consume alcohol are drunks, but I can name many fat preachers being fat because they are addicted to over-eating. I know, spare me, we find one fat one who has gland problems and he's the poster child for the rest of 'em.

I'd say that over-eating fat preachers are more of a problem in the church, and FROM the church than drunken preachers.

Too many churches base too many get togethers on eating.

#26 preacher4truth, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point was not to justify any sin. We need to call it what it is. It seems that so many preachers that preach against alcohol are noticeably fat and it is obvious when you can hear them gasp for air. With some I have heard it is so noticeable that it draws attention to their breathing and how much they sweat. My wife works in a hospital and she has mentioned all the problems that can result of being over weight.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I pastored a church in which I told the leaders that I would be taking one hour a day out for exercise. By their reaction you would have thought I was stealing from them. When I saw their reaction and listened to them awhile I asked if any of them would like to to visiting with me for a day. Several months later I led the work we did on the building. One of the men who was a 34 year old farmer told me that he was sore the next day on Sunday. I just laughed. When he was working I told him that he needed to work about twice as fast if we expected to get done by the time we wanted. He picked up the pace but I could tell that he was not used to working like that.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The grave error in the teetotalism stance is that it assumes that a SUBSTANCE is sinful.

In order for something to be sinful, it must have personality. Inanimate objects are NOT inherently sinful. Only PERSONS with motives can be sinful.

The Bible encourages the responsible consumption of strong drink. It condemns drunkenness for the same reason it condemns gluttony.

MODERATION is the rule.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    DWI in the US is .08 - In Germany it is .05

other countries:

Russia over .02
    Sweden over .02

Czech over .00

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I think it would be wrong to invite a Jew to my home and serve pork. So we must consider things so we are not a stumblingh block to the gospel. My friend who was a pastor in Germany told me that if he did not drink beer with them then they would wonder why and treat him as though something was wrong with him.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh: You may have something there P4T .....since I'm bald, I preach against hair......oh, thats FUNNY!

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not my own and I forget where I first read this:

"There are no sins so bad as the ones which we ourselves do not commit".

HankD

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Having been stationed in Germany for a few years I came to appreciate both their beer and their wine. We should note that they are stricter on alcohol related issues than we are, to include having random DUI checks on the highways.

Enjoy such things, do not be ruled by them.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you learn what the penalty was for being caught DUI?

16. preacher4truth

We have random sobriety checks here as well.

17. preacher4truth

At least the fundies can't preach about your hair...but believe me they'd find SOMETHING! :laugh:

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Nope. I called a cab or walked. I do know that the polizei can get a bit rough when dealing with a uncooperative suspect.

19. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

We do....but I have never seen them out on the highway in the middle of no where.

20. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Aren't men all supposed to be bald since our head is not to be covered? :tonofbricks: