1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beer or football on Sunday, which is a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I was on a thread on another forum and we were talking about Churches having Super Bowl Parties.

In the course of the thread, one pastor pointed out that drinking beer on Sunday was permissible, but watching football games on TV was a violation of the 4th commandment.

Does that seem backwards to any of you and why?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd suggest neither...

unless you're rootin' for the 49ers. Than that's a salvation thing...;)

(really I don't believe either is a sin b/c that is a poor understanding of what is and is not sin)

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would have to agree about the 49ers, lol.

but according to Spurgeons Catechism, which I believe is Biblical:

Q What is sin?

A Sin is any want of conformity to, or transgression of the law of God

4. whatever

whatever New Member

Neither - the 4th commandment concerns Friday night and Saturday, so it is high school and college football that is sinful.

Also, drinking beer is OK as long as you don't get drunk, and as long as you do not covet thy neighbor's beer.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

But what if it is a Heinekin?
    Actually...I haven't liked any brand I have tried so I kinda gave up.

As for the 4th talking about Saturday, in the old testament yes.
    It is my understanding that the Christian sabbath, that is the New Testament sabbath is Sunday but I need to look into that more.
    Also, the principle of one day in 7 being of rest is from Creation as God rested on the 7th day.
    The specifics may change from old or new testaments etc, but the principle remains I do believe.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

I think the "Christian sabbath" is more tradition than scripture, but I'd like to know what your research reveals. A day of rest is surely a good thing.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, if you want to read the original thread, it is here:

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That is possible but I also understand that the actual day of the sabbath changed in the Old Testament. The way I understand it, the sabbath was the same day of the week for a whole year but would change each year.

I don't understand all of how their calendar worked though.
    Nor am I prepared to back that statement up dogmatically.

I am however convinced that we are to take one day of the week and keep it holy to the Lord.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, I don't drink, and I believe that in our society it is wrong for a Christian to dirink alcoholic beverages for various reasons. But that is one thread in itself, and we have had many of them.

Second, There is no command anywhere in Scripture for the Gentile to keep the Sabbath. The Sabbath was given as a sign of the covenant to the nation of Israel and her generations forever. Exodus 31 makes that perfectly clear. It was never meant for the Christian. Truth be told, Saturday (Sabbath) is one of the most profaned days among Christians--the only day for cleaning house, getting things done, shopping, recreation, and everything else you can't do on a working day. It is the opposite of what the Sabbath should be.
    Secondly, if Sunday were the Christian "Sabbath" it would be one of the hardest working days for most preachers, who preach two and three times a day and sometimes more. It surely isn't a day of rest for them. Neither day is kept as a day of rest according to the OT.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whatever is not from faith is sin.

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, it is. And I don't mean to bring it up, the main point of the OP is that this was so opposite of what I was raised to believe.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that we are still under any of the other commandments?

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

'We' meaning 'Christians'- no.

'We' meaning 'unregenerate sinners'- yes.

But again that is another thread... :smilewinkgrin:

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard good arguments for the existance of Purgatory.... rooting for the Eagles :tonofbricks:

I don't look down on my Christian friends that drink but in general it's not for me.
    I'd agree with the prohibition against drunkenness.

And rooting for the Eagles and drunkeness seem to be so very closely related.

Rob

14. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

If you lived in Arizona and had to watch the Cardinals, you would know that football is a far greater sin than just drinking beer!!!!:thumbs: :laugh:

Bro Tony

15. drwthohh

drwthohh New Member

Neither one is a sin unless done to excess.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Personally, I can't understand why anyone would drink something as nasty tasting as beer. The only beer I ever liked was German beer. I see nothing wrong with moderate drinking. It only becomes a problem when the alcohol makes us say and do things we normally wouldn't. ANYTHING can be a sin if it keeps a person away from fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ and from serving the Lord. There were very few in the evening service at my church last Sunday because many stayed home to watch the game. That, in my opinion, IS a sin.

There's a TV show I like that's on at 9 PM on Wednesday, but our choir practice is just ending at that time. It's at least 20 minutes after 9 when I get home. I will not miss choir practice just to watch TV no matter how much I like what's on. I've done that and was convicted of it. My ministry for the Lord is singing, and I just have to sing about the joy I have through Christ.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I did live in Arizona in '87 when they moved there from St. Louis.

We still followed the Cowboys and Dolphins.
    Hey, the best game ever was in Glendale this year, just wasn't a Cardinals game.....the Feista Bowl made the Super Bowl pale in comparison as far as excitement goes.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Generally speaking I believe that the rest of the Ten Commandments is God's moral law that he put in man's heart referred to in Romans 2:14,15--especially the last six commandments.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The 4th commandment originated at creation when God rested on the 7th day.
    The only thing in my mind is how many details of the 4th commandment still apply in the New Testament.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

None, except a principle of rest of one day in seven. But that is about it.