1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Before you became a christian did you already struggle with certain sins?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, May 14, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I mean can a non-christian not also struggle with sin and temptation? I think he can. Not every non-christian does the same sins, this means even non-christians can resist temptations, right?
    But before I became a christian there were already things which I found repulsive and which made me feel filthy. If there were sins which made me feel filthy even before I became a christian then how do I know what this feeling of filth is based on? I mean if I already had it before then it cannot be based on the holy spirit. :confused:
    Then how do I know wether feeling guilty is really based on the holy spirit or not on other things like the personal upbringing or something else?
    I mean there must have been other reasons why some sins made me feel dirty. :confused:
    But if I already felt dirty back then then how do I know why I feel dirty now? How can I know that it's the holy spirit and not something else?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Titus, chapter 2

11": For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

"12": Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

"13": Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

"14": Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Psalms, psalm 139
    "8": If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Amazing how God is always there.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many people outside of the church struggle of temptation. Take for example a secular marriage. Many of these marriages are loving faithful marriages. Sure the temptation of Adultery is there, but it is seen as wrong and not acted upon.

Western society although no longer living by them was once lived by many people to the Ten Commandments. That is still there as the basis of our laws today even though many reject it.

Psycologists offices are full of secular people struggling with various issues with sin that they are trying to be free of. The Christian too struggles, but is forgiven and is led by God in being sanctified.

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

XDX~ The Lord has written his laws on our hearts. So even a sinner knows what is right and wrong. Some hearts are harden and just do get it. But there are some really sweet people who do good and are statues of the community that don't cuss, drink, neither do they run around on their spouse, they love thier children keep their house and yard neat and tidy, ect. And some of these people are as lost a goose in a hail storm.
    But even now after becomming a Christian I have temptations... and thats ok Jesus said we would.
    I am thankful for this scripture when I am in one of my weak moments...

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

This "dirty feeling" may be the Holy Ghost bringing this sin to your knowledge so that you can deal with it and overcome it. It could also be the devil trying to condemn you? The bible says to try the spirits...
    1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Either way repent and go on. I know I am far from perfect and there are things I am sure I need to deal with too. The bible says...
    2Co 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Even Paul...
    1Cor 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.