1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beginnings of the KJVO sect

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by tinytim, Dec 10, 2003.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that Dr.C was like Dr, Mc Ghee about BVs. They both preached from the KJV because that was the version most familiar to them and their audiences. having listened to recordings of Dr. Mc Ghee's sermons and Q&A shows for years, I've several times heard him say exactly that. And I've often heard him refer to another BV after reading the KJV version of a given verse or set of verses, saying, "This interpretation is more understandable, given the changes in the English language since 1611...".

Did Dr.C do this? Did he sometimes say, "Now, here's what this verse means, in OUR vernacular..." or something similar?

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Yes, he would often say something similar to that. I was there (Fourth Baptist) from 74-82. I can say with virtual certainty that he would have preferred to preach from a version other than the KJV- the ASV perhaps, or even the NASV once it became available (1971). I believe he stayed with the KJV because it's what the people knew. Currently Fourth Baptist uses the NKJV.

BTW- See McGee's preface (in the Genesis volume) to his widely read & owned commentary series. He makes it explicitly clear that he was not a KJVOnlyist.