1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being a Calvinist is Good?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Aug 16, 2006.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The same applies to anyone who calls him/herself an Arminian. In fact, while I think there are many 5-point Calvinists on this board, I don't think there is a single Arminian here. When people defend free-willism, they do so in ways that contradict even the most basic tenets of Arminianism, such as total depravity (yes, that's part of Arminianism, even if it's not called "total depravity"). I don't know anyone who calls him/herself an Arminian here, but if they do, they probably shouldn't.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

News flash: You don't have to hold to a certain amount of "points" to be a monergist. God's grace is not graded on a curve or some stupid "point system". All five points stand or fall regardless.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

A monergist opposes the thought that man cooperates in his salvation. Such is a synergist. Anyone who believes that faith causes regeneration is a synergist by definition. So a monergist, by defintion, is one who holds to the I in TULIP. If they hold to the I, then they most likely hold to T, U and P and maybe L.

I do not see any logical inconsistency with a 4-point system (i.e., one rejecting the L). Of course, that has been debated here before, and is not really the point of this thread.

4. PeterM

PeterM Member

Why does any man desire to be pigeon holed or identified by another man's name?

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I don't desire it, but the term "Calvinism" is generally understood short-hand to describe one's beliefs on salvation. I prefer using the term Doctrines of Grace.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Are you suggesting Arminians don't believe in grace? Of course they do.

Doctrines of Grace? IMO, having various doctrines of grace is just as open ended in defining beliefs as Calvinism and Arminianism.

7. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Not speaking for my brother, but i'm sure he does not intend to say that at all. I didn't even see where he said that.
    I also would have thought he meant doctrines of sovereign grace. Grace and peace

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for your agreement. It will be duly noted.

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

PeterM asked:

Why does any man desire to be pigeon holed or identified by another man's name?

You mean, like Christian? Or better yet, Peter? :)

10. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I really hate when people do that.

Christ-Christian is on par with Calvin-Calvinist????????

11. PeterM

PeterM Member

For your sake I will only state that my theology/doctrinal positions are biblical and not plagiarized from another man’s beliefs (Not including Christ or those of apostolic position/authority)

This must truly be a Baptist board as there are some real touchy folks here…

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The term "Doctrines of Grace" has been around for ages. I'm not sure who first coined it, but it is essentially TULIP with out the 'evil-guy' Calvin attached to it.

No, I'm not suggesting that Arminians don't believe in grace. However, the grace they believe in is different than the grace taught in Calvinism. So in that sense, it's not the same "grace".

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

PeterM, are you saying that you never once benefitted from a teacher or preacher who instructed you in the Word? Are you that much of a spiritual island that no one has taught you? Then you must be God's Superman, because I know of no one who does not learn from godly teachers and preachers in their Christian walk.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No it is not a different GRACE! It is the same Grace for there is but one. It is just that we believe what the Scripture says "through faith" we receive that GRACE. We and I am not Arminiam but Old Regular, but we believe that we must be led by the Spirit, same as you in order to be saved. Its just we believe that same Spirit strives with all men to follow Him to Grace but some reject it and some accept it.

In other words "you must believe".

#34 Brother Bob, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I believe that too, Bob. Salvation is by grace through faith. But don't play dumb, you know that our views on grace are different.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No Andy, our veiws on Grace is not different but how we receive that Grace is what is different. Now is that playing dumb, don't think so but one of us is wrong.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Of course. When I said "our views on grace are different" - to be more precise, I meant in how God imparts that grace. And how God imparts that grace, goes to the very definition of grace, which is why we differ in "our views on grace". The Calvinist says that saving grace is imparted to the elect in an effectual manner. The Arminian says that saving grace is imparted to those who elect themselves unto salvation by their own choice.

18. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Blammo:

Christ-Christian is on par with Calvin-Calvinist????????

*sigh* They're both names. That was the point.

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

PeterM said:

This must truly be a Baptist board as there are some real touchy folks here…

Yeah, we can tell.

(You did notice the happy face when I posted, right?)

20. PeterM

PeterM Member

:saint:
    Sorry forgot my smiley...:smilewinkgrin::saint: