1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being a Pastor and being Single

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jacob Gastrich, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whew!! Good post!!

2. Jacob Gastrich

Jacob Gastrich New Member

And you are married yes. This is why you believe this.

Try putting yourself ina single persons shoes if you can do this.

3. Jacob Gastrich

One must consider the Historical context of the passage and where Paul wrote the passage. Remember Bible college?

Who
    What
    When
    Where
    Why

In the CONTEXT pologomy was a common act and why Paul said the "Husband of one Wife."

4. Jacob Gastrich

As do I.

But since he is married he will never understand it from a single persons shoes.

So I guess the only way to deal with people like him is to publicly expose or confront him.

Some churches have open mic nights and I can imagine walking up to the mic and giving him the works.

But would this be biblical?

I have been in churches where the pastor did publicly expose people in the church. The elders in this mans church did not find fault in this pastor doing this.

Go figure.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul did not say "husband of one wife" The transliteration of that passage is "one woman man" there is a difference.

Jacob churches today have multiple non-biblical requirements.Being married is one of them. Background and credit checks are another, having a certain level of education is another.

The church today has put aside prayer and fasting and the Word of God as the sole means to determine the call of God on your Pastor. Instead they are hiring employees. If you want to be an employee then you will succumb to these non-biblical standards. But if you want to be the Pastor that God has called to the church then Prayer and fasting and the Word of God will be the primary means to determine your call.

Those on search comittees today do not have the sensativity or comitment to pray and fast and determine Gods will. Most comittees are far from God.

You yourself need to be a man of prayer and fasting and in the Word of God. This is the only biblical means to determine Gods will.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    -------------------------------------------------

El Guero & R Bell,

Please do not Kill the messenger:eek:
    I do not, I REPEAT I do not agree with the websites (Unbibical) standards of (any kind of) single pastors and a requirement for children. I would even venture that most of the chuches seeking pastors on that site are NOT that strict in their standards.

Salty

but thanks for all the response, it is a very interesting subject.
    When I speak to a Catholic about married priests and Popes, I say "I dont know if Peter was married but he did had a Mother-in-Law":laugh:

#26 Salty, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  7. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to Baptist Board. I am 34 Years old, and I am single, never been married before. Although, I haven't to Bible College yet. I do know that the Lord has called me to be a Minister of the Gospel. and Possibly Pastor a Church down the road somewhere...

My attitude towards marriage anymore is, If God wants it, it'll happen. I'm not going to go around, outside of the Lord and try and get a wife. If HE wants it, She'll come along sooner or later. I just refuse to worry myself about it.

I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist, Although, I am not of the Ruckman/Hyles camp at all. In fact, I find their brand of Fundamentalism Sickening...

I do however, SHARPLY disagree with the Statement that Pastors and Missionaries are two different things, this is a common fallacy. There are no distinctions between the two in the Bible. Show me in the Bible without taking some verse out of it original context, saying that there is, I'd be willing to bet money, you couldn't.

However, I believe the reason Paul wasn't married in the Bible, because he wife left him at some point, according to Church tradition and from what I've read, he was married as a Pharisee, and his wife left him at some point, it is unclear when though, as the Bible really doesn't record it.

Also, To be more clear, Paul was a Church planter, he would go establish the Church, and nurture it until he felt there was someone strong enough to be the Bishop or Overseer, Much like we have to today, as Pastors.

Anyways, As I've said before, We IFB'ers are not perfect, Much like the SBC's and any other Baptist Denominations, We're not perfect, just forgiven and and Saved by Grace.

-WTD

8. Jacob Gastrich

Thanks but the NIV says "husband of one Wife."

9. MrCorey

MrCorey Member

The church I go to, the youth & music Pastor {who just resigned & moved out west} is single and is 37 years old. Nobody saw a problem with that at all. And he came back for a visit week before last and he is working in a large church as a music minister. So, I don't think that all Pastor's have to be married.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if your going to pastor you need to get past your depenence on the niv. The niv is a paraphrase it is not a word for word translation. I would argue that it makes it inferior and usless. But so long as you understand that it is what as known as a "dynamic translation" then you can use it accordingly.

It is not a good bible for deep doctrinal study. And I am not KJVO

11. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Go read about Percy Ray.

He was engaged to R.G. Lee's daughter, but after fasting for about 4 days the Lord told him not to marry. For this I am thankful, because my brother and his wife were both saved at Camp Zion as well as several in my church.

http://www.preacherscorner.org/campzion.htm

12. Jacob Gastrich

Actually the NIV is not a paraphrase and yes I would agree that its not a deep doctrinal Bible like the NASB or KJV. But for personnel reading and memorizing I use the NIV.

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do think that it's a good idea for a pastor to be married for a few reasons:

1. It makes the pastor more "complete" in that he can counsel married couples and use things he practices in his own marriage. It eliminates the question "What do you know about marital problems, when you've never been married yourself?"

2. It eliminates any justifiable reason for the awkward situation of having the primary pulipit preacher flirting with members of the congregation.

#33 AresMan, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Assuming a single preacher may be flirting with church members is not fair. And if he flirts with a single girl, whats wrong with that?

As to the first part, I can see that. But it doesnt mandate a married pastor. I know several pastors with less than ideal marriages.

Before we had kids, we had a woman tell us a similar thing. She said, "How can you minister to families when you dont have one?" That stung very deeply. I told her that we considered ourselves a family, and just because one is trying to minister doesnt mean one HAS to have the answers. No one has them all.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

If people would quit pretending to believe the Word - there would be very few singles in the Church.

Satan has destroyed the witness of the Church to the common man and woman. The lost see absolutely no reason to practice the faith when we abuse and disgrace marriage. The lost of the world have a higher regard for marriage than most 'Christians'.

Try putting yourself in God's shoes. Do you think for one moment that He made men and women to be together and He has all of a sudden changed His mind? He always said that He allowed exceptions - but, today the exception has become the rule. Why would God want a bunch of burned out 'singles' trying to lead the lost (and usually much happier) people to Jesus? Why? How can burned out singles model the example of the bride and bridegroom?

I am tired of talk. We need to get right with God.

We need to place His needs and designs above our needs and desires.

It is scary that the 1960's worldly male image of fear of relationship has so permeated the church that now we must discuss alternative rules for pastors because we are running out of the biblical, married, male Pastor. We are beginning to have the same problems that led to the Catholic Church's destruction of their Priesthood.

Ask the lost if a Pastor should be married. Go door to door. Quit being afraid of teaching and preaching the Word of God to the lost.

Do it.

Try putting myself in a single persons shoes to see if I want to change my theology? That is what mormons say, that is what homosexuals say, that is what women preachers say.

Try putting on the whole Word of God.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Tater

30 years ago, even 15 years ago, I agreed completely. But, in today's church - a single preacher flirting with a single girl in the church is dangerous in my honest and humble opinion.

PS it is always sad when pastors and their families are held to such artificial standards.

17. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I can see where it could be a potentially bad situation, but I have heard of a pastor meeting his wife at church. I just dont think we should categorically say that its a bad thing.

And personally, in my experience, its not the lost that have a problem with single pastors. Its little old gossip ladies who dont think the single minister can control himself. I have seen it.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TaterTot

That is so true as well. I just pray that it is not as bad there as it is here . . .

It just gets worse and worse . . . here. I keep praying for revival. We need it so badly.

PS - we just lost another big name pastor to immorality . . . I think that may be why the little old ladies are prone to gossip . . . I keep praying for God to bring along side me those accountability partners (especially my wife) that are so important in this modern world.

We need revival. We really do.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Somebody please just shoot me!"

[​IMG]

20. chadnrachel

chadnrachel New Member

1Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

What must a pastor be according to this verse? A husband

A husband of how many wives? Only 1

Some have said that them emphasis is on the "one"....but I believe that ideally God wants pastors to be married for the ministry's sake.

As I said before, this does NOT eliminate people from the pulpit. Evangelists, Missionaries, and other workers of the ministry do not have these types of stipulations.

Furthermore, this would be a good time to point out that a WOMAN can NOT be a pastor according to this verse. AMEN!