1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being "friends" with Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jan 21, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

on our responcsive reading we had these verses:

"As the father hat loved me, so have I loved you. continue ye in love"

"Ye aare my friends, if ye do whatsoever I commmand you"

"Henceforth I call you not servants for the servant know not what his lord doeth: but I cahave called you friends for all friends that I have heard of my father I have made known to you"

What is Jesus's definition of friendship?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would imagine it to be the definition of Solomon in Proverbs 17:17--"A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

yeah but when we're saved we are obliged, if not required, to be his friend, and he has no conditions to meet whatsoever. Shouldn't that be called something else other than "friendship?"

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Greek word philos ("friend") here has the meaning of a two-way relationship, each loving the other. It has the idea of a warmth and closeness, a like for the other as well as a love. So I think it is an excellent word for what Jesus meant. (He used a different word when He said to Judas, "Friend, wherefore art thou come?")

It is not quite true that Jesus has no obligations as our friend. Remember that He was willing to lay down His life for His friends (John 15:13). That is true friendship!