1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Being named a Catholic Saint

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Feb 19, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have been discussing this issue in the context of religion and religious worship. Do you bow down to the image of your wife and prayer to her?

The prohibitions of images are always in the area of religion and religious worship and always in the context of bowing down to them and directing to them any other acts of worship that God receives and regards as acts of worship.

The golden calfs were understood to have been manufactured by the hands of Aaron with the gold supplied by the people bowing down to them. They were bowing down to them as VISIBLE REPRESENTATIVES of the Elohim that opened up the Red sea and delivered them from Pharoah. Hence, God condemns REPRESENTATIVE IMAGES of anything in heaven or on earth that receives acts of worship whether it is directed ultimately to God or not!

For example the lid of the ark is in the context of religion and religious worship but God never prescribed any kind of bowing to this lid or any other furniture designed and used in the tabernacle/temple. The ark was not a visible representation through which angels were prayed to or God was prayed to or they were to bow down before.

Roman Catholicism violates these very basic prohibitions when they argue that such visible images only act as visible representations that are used in worship of invisible things.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If only Jesus is allowed to intercede for us then stop praying for other christians. You are not allowed to intercede for other people. And if anyone asks you to pray on their behalf tell them that they are commiting idolatry.

BTW Catholics don't say no because of pictures but because a person who is in Christ is alive forever and are a continuous part of the body of Christ. Their operation in the body doesn't stop because they body has. This is the Catholic understanding of it.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Where in the Bible did the Lord OK us to talk to ANY person other than Jesus though in prayer?

Model is to pray to the father, thru Jesus, in power of the HS!

Also, the Apostle Peter"First Pope" per the RCC, claimed that ALl christians are known and called as saints and priests unto the Lord!

So ALL christians are thus saints, so why would any have to be venerated?

#23 DaChaser1, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When Jesus did it himself to Moses and Elijah. Both men had passed on into the next phase of life and Jesus spoke with them. Also in revelation it speaks of the saints lifting up their prayers for those here on earth.

However, if you wan't to be consistent then don't ask other christians to pray for you and certainly don't pray for other Chrisitans.

Also note what 1 Tim 2:1 says

5. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Not to her image - just to her. I kneeled before her and prayed [asked] that she marry me. Thus, in the familial context which is by the way a religious one, I did the very thing that you eschew. Hmmm.... Well, I guess that makes me an idolator. Who'd a thunk it.

WM

6. WestminsterMan

All Christians aren't in heaven and thus perfected before the presence of God. The saints under discussion ARE in heaven. Big diff.

WM

7. WestminsterMan

I tried to explain the difference between having only one mediator and interceeding for others. I guess this verse proves the difference. Chirst is the only mediator, but anyone can intercede.

WM

8. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The marriage ceremony could be a religous one but you asked her to marry you before you got to the ceremony. I don't recall any bowing at marriage ceremonies unless that is the way Catholics do it?

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are quite right.

10. WestminsterMan

Well, since you agree that the marriage ceremony is religious in nature just as is the Mass, then would you agree that kneeling during the Mass is ok?

WM

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Yes, but ONLY those alive physical on this earth can go before God to inercede for others!

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I am JUST as much a saint as peter/paul and John, as they were saved SAME way that I was, soely by the Grace of God in the Cross of christ!