1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being saved, "feeling saved," emotions, feelings, etc.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Hello,

I was curious what everyone thinks about salvation, feelings, emotions, etc. Before I was saved I always "felt" saved because I was dead, never concerned about spiritual things. After I don't "feel" saved but I don't have to.

When I was saved when I was 15, I didn't feel a "tremendous weight being lifted off my shoulders," etc. Right after I was saved I was sorta just quiet, pondering things, etc. after spending my whole life thinking I was.

What are your thoughts on feelings, emotions, etc. in regard to salvation, assurance, etc? [​IMG]

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I was saved at 14 yrs old. My episcopal priests son took me to a baptist church. 3 hours after I was saved I got so excited I didn't know what to do. The Holy Spirit beared witness with mine that I was saved. I knew Jesus was right there with me.(made room on the couch) I just knew I was saved and I havent felt as exhilerated as that night since.

There have been many times that I have felt unsaved through the years. I just rely on the bible that teaches we are saved by faith in the shed blood of Jesus. It's all about faith. Good feelings are a bonus and bad ones we can discard.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is sure complicated ...

... If you lean towards the Calvinistic side, emotions are wrong.

... If you lean towards the Modern Arminian side, feelings are divine revelation and interpret the Scriptures.

"The Holy Bible, Baptist Study Edition" gives a solid "order of salvation". It is SBC in its leanings.

4. BruceB

BruceB New Member

El Guero, on what page in the BSE is the "order of salvation" printed on? Thanks, Bruce

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I would have to look it back up, but I think it was the standard romans passage.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Not bad memory ... Romans 8: 28 - 30 and the Roman Road passages.

God Bless,

Wayne

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Since the order of salvation affects how we view the question of emotion in salvation:
    1)Foreknowledge, 2) predestination, 3) calling, 4) contrition, 5) repentance, 6) faith, 7) regeneration, 8) Justification, 9) reconciliation, 10) sanctification, 11) adoption, and 12) glorification.

(p 1611 from the Updated Criswell study Bible)

I believe that emotion has a play in steps 3 - 6. It is during these steps that our emotions are acted upon by the Holy Spirit.

8. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Wayne,
    Thank you - I was trying to find it as one of the study charts, but I see it is contained in the study notes - I appreciate you looking it back up. Bruce

9. MTA

MTA New Member

I don't know about you all, but I would question a salvation that I could not feel. There is nothing like good, ol' heartfelt salvation that lifts a sinner up out of the miry clay and sets them on the solid rock.

1Jo 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone gets bells and whistles, and not everyone jumps for joy or shouts praises to Lord for deliverance, but everyone feels the peace in their hearts that comes with the deliverance from sin and death. We have joy unspeakable and full of glory.

1Pe 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

That is pure emotion in response to what God has done and I am thankful for it.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

MTA

Be that as it may, I have met several of the reformed tradition that do not remember their "time of salvation". They claim that they have always been a Christian.

I ask them to tell me that Jesus is Lord. And I leave it at that. They did claim to feel like a Christian "now".

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't know when I was first saved, but I know when I was converted [​IMG] If a man does not realize the fulness of the gift that he has received, does that mean he didn't receive it?

Luk 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
    Luk 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
    Luk 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

If a man does not realize how much Christ has forgiven him of, he may not count the gift of much value, but that doesn't mean he was not forgiven of his sins.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a calvinist [order of contrition, then repentance then faith then regeneration is so wrong I cannot believe someone would say this] and have no problem with emotions. They are part of the human psyche.

But fact is that unless I am regenerated, I cannot be contrite, repentant or believe.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

James

Is it fair for me to deduce you believe in two events?