1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being slain in the Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bible-boy, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

It seems a lot more than presumptous to now tell God the Spirit which way we think Christians should fall when He touches them in an unforgettable spiritual event. I thought all Christians believed in some form of sovereignty.

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Good grief. :rolleyes:

Ok, let me see if I have this right.

If I fall forward its of God.

If I fall backward it of the devil.

But...what if I fall sideways? Neither forward nor backward. Who gets me then...God or Satan?

And what if I fall forward, but then get up and then fall backward?

Does that make me a Arminian faller? (of God...or Satan...of God...of Satan, etc?)

This whole thread would be hilarious if it werent so sad.

Why is it so frustrating to some people that Almighty God might manifest Himself to someone so powerfully that they fall? Forward, backward...it doesnt matter!

Amazed,

Mike

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

D28Guy,

Your post shows Christians how sick some people think. You would think we were talking with third world crazies.

You are right and I like your new spin as to "Arminian fallers."

Sure glad Saul fell forward at his salvation experience or we would never have received his epistles and we would be lost in our sins. . . Come to think of it, it does not say he fell forward. The poor Jewish man probably broke his nose.

Sad ideas indeed!

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

If you are really seeking the Lord's face and He touches you do you think you'll stand? That is if you really want a touch from God. In the bible people were scared if they seen an angel of the Lord least they die!(Judges 13:22) It says the men guarding the tomb of Jesus became as dead men. (Matt. 28:4) So wouldn't it go to follow that if the Lord's presence shows up or He touches or breaths on you that you could possibly become weakened, or even fall forward, backwards or even sideways? MOHO, I think this stuff about how you fall is somewhat how superstitions(sp?) get started? Like old grannys would make you chase a black cat back across the street before she'd drive on down the road to Dairy Queen. [​IMG]

BTW, what about being prayed for and just going down to your knees, because that happened to me also? Also come to think about it.... afterward my knees didn't hurt either and to come to think of it my knees haven't been hurting and bothering me like they used to.

5. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk New Member

There are times that things like this will happen, especially if you are truly seeking something from God. It has happened to me after a long fast and I have been truly seeking the Lord for an answer to a serious prayer or situation. So, at times it can be expected, but the way that you fall doesn't matter, as long as you are not faking it just to be a showoff

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

For new people on the board. I too have experienced this once. It was like a soft pillow pushed me down and like He poured liquid love for Him into my life. There were five witnesses to this when I was in Bible College. Trust me, this experience will make you into a believer in the mighty Presence of the Holy Spirit.

"Ray"

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Good grief. :rolleyes:

Ok, let me see if I have this right.

If I fall forward its of God.

If I fall backward it of the devil.

But...what if I fall sideways? Neither forward nor backward. Who gets me then...God or Satan?

And what if I fall forward, but then get up and then fall backward?

Does that make me a Arminian faller? (of God...or Satan...of God...of Satan, etc?)

This whole thread would be hilarious if it werent so sad.

Why is it so frustrating to some people that Almighty God might manifest Himself to someone so powerfully that they fall? Forward, backward...it doesnt matter!

Amazed,

Mike
    </font>[/QUOTE]Amazed indeed!
    Amazed because the fraudulent act of being slain in the spirit is not found in the Bible.
    Amazed because the charlatans that practice this chancery are mostly frauds, many of whom aren't even saved themselves.
    Amazed because the suckers who fall for this fraud aren't looking for a deeper spiritual life in the first place; they are simply looking for an emotional high.
    Amazed because people who give into this mysticism and fraud give into the flesh; the carnal desries of the heart, rather than the spiritual desires of the heart.
    Amazed because people accept the fraudulent pushing on the forehead of those that call themselves ministers of the gospel.
    Amazed because because when someone pushes you to the ground on your back; it is supposed to be of the Lord. (Why not just get into a boxing ring instead)?
    Amazed that the carnal side of man can so overtake the spiritual side of man, so as to deceive him into thinking that something so carnal is actually spiritual!
    Amazing indeed!!
    DHK

8. Pete

Pete New Member

heh heh trouble is Ray I've been a night shift cabbie for almost 13 years, and even worse than that I'm Aussie, so have to try to be a bit careful on what I throw ;)

If I would have sat down for a while I probably could have come up with something seasonal, but still the Bugs vs Daffy brawl is probably best known & longest running [​IMG]

I had a bit scribbled down on the Revelation reference you like to use, but that was the part I thought might have been going a _tad_ too far and didn't post [​IMG] I might re-read what I put down and maybe post it later.

I doubt I'll be doing anything major tonight though, had a humongous boxing day shift in the cab and absolutely bbq'd my brain. Tuesday night was almost as big and didn't help things. Last night was a bit quieter thankfully. Now just sitting back and vegging out...

Might read rest of thread and try and post tomorrow night. If not then maybe Tues or Wed next week, 'cause I'll be getting well & truly "slain in the taxi" on new years eve :eek: ;)

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I'll pray for you brother. That is one of the most dangerous jobs to have. And I would hate for that to happen to you. [​IMG]

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Thanks mate [​IMG] "She'll be right" as Australia's national anthem says (I'm sure the line is in there somewhere) ;) Generally most people just want to get home, and the cabbies just want to get them there, so it works out all ok ;)

I've never had anyone take a swing in almost 13 years of the game. But if anyone does decide to get too "interesting" on the night that's no worries either. I've not only been around (13 years of cabs), I AM ROUND (6 feet tall, 5 feet around, 1 foot beard ;) ) Job 41:8 comes to mind If you lay a hand on him, you will remember the struggle and never do it again! (niv) [​IMG]

But seriously folks...If anyone did get 'cute' they'ld soon cop a sermon, come to think of it they might get one anyway even if they don't play up [​IMG] :D

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You take quite liberal helpings of your food?
    That's alright.
    The Bible says "The liberal soul shall be made fat." :D j/k

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

DHK,

No. What you are actually saying is that...

"the phrase, that I dont like, 'slain in the Spirit' is not found in the Bible"

It would be like saying...

"the fraudulent act of 'lethal piercing and hanging' is never found in the Bible"

...so therefore Christ was not sacrificed for our benefit on that cross.

Even though the phrase "lethal piercing and hanging" is not found in the scriptures, that doesnt change the fact that Christ was crucified for our sins.

And in the same way the phrase "slain in the Spirit" is not found in the scriptures, but there is abundant evidence that sometimes God manifested Himself to someone in such a powerful way that they fell to the ground.

Just like today.

Certainly you are not saying that in the scriptures nobody ever fell to the ground when they encountered the living God in a particularly powerfull and overwhelming way...are you?

Grace and peace,

Mike

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then why were you so "amazed" at previous posts. I contend again, there is no example in the Bible of anyone being slain in the spirit. Find one for me. Being slain in the spirit today is always "falling backward under as so-called influence spirit of A spirit, not necessarily the Holy Spirit. No one in the Bible falls backwards, as they do today. The only ones that ever "fall" if yuo can call it falling, is when the fall prostrate before the Lord, in awe and reverence before the Lord, such as Isaiah did when he saw the glory of the Lord, and the angels saying: "Holy, Holy Holy..."
    Nothing like that ever happens today.
    DHK

14. Pete

Pete New Member

DHK, well, as this is the thread for taking verses out of context...( ;) ) ".....all the fat is the LORD's" Leviticus 3:16 ;)

And now I think I'll get back to vegging out and come back to thread tomorrow night [​IMG]

15. standingfirminChrist

There are 31 verses in the Bible that speak of someone falling upon their face. In all those verses, man was falling forward in an act of humility, reverence and obedience .

There is only one verse in the Bible where it is recorded that someone fell backward when the Lord spoke. That was the soldiers who came to arrest Him. And they fell back in fear, not because of reverence.

16. Daughter

Daughter New Member

As I see it (sorry not read all the previous pages):

1. When people fell prostrate in worship in the Bible, I think they were pretty much conscious and not "out of it".

2. Many who recommend this practice believe that those of us who don't are somehow missing out or even infer that we aren't worshipping as fervently as they.

3. I simply cannot think of any benefit, spiritual or otherwise from such an experience. In prayer, yes. In Bible study, fasting, worship... yes but what is falling over all about?

4. At a conference at work, in the evening session they had hynotist Paul McKenna performing. The parallels between him and the likes of Hinn were uncanny - trigger words, people describing their experiences very similar as many of my pentecostal/charismatic brothers and sisters'. I wish I had a camcorder so I could illustrate to the proponents of this phenomenon that it ain't all straight.

I must add that I do worship at a pentecostal church, though my husband and I don't agree with all that is taught. "Slain in the Spirit" is one of em.

17. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Pete,

I am glad we have a brother in the faith who is a cab driver. The Lord has you in your position providentially and I am sure you can touch a lot of people there with the Gospel.

I am sure I would have trouble, at first, to learn your area of transportation and ways to short cuts.

This being said, don't discount too quickly those of us who have the job of preaching and teaching the truths of the Bible. You and others might just learn some new things.

I wouldn't tell you how to run your business and we are please when people seriously consider what we teach. I spent about eight years in theological institutions and we have looked at these passages from every direction. Unlike Roman Catholics many Protestants do not revere the clergy or the hours of study that a minister invests in speaking the truths of His sacred Word.

Anyway, I worked for Airborn like FedEx for several years and delivered and picked up parcels in several cities. I know your experiences to some degree and had my own particular snares, like getting stuck almost on level ground during the winter seasons. I had to shovel myself out a few times over the years.

Whatever you get out of this I am still glad He has placed you in this strategic place where you can witness at times to people who need Christ or are going through difficult times.

18. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

D28guy,

Your post was all to clear about 'body piercing.' DHK simply does not want to think your line of reasoning. There is a word for that but at the moment cannot think of it.

Some people are open to the Holy Spirit and learning from other people and some do not allow this benefit.

What is really sad is when people do not even respond to your statments, which means they are running and not thinking.

19. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

standingfirminChrist,

Your statment is like saying, You cannot study from the Bible unless sitting at a desk with chair and light. Lying in bed reading the Bible or teaching with an open Bible in a S.S. class simply does not work in the mind of God.

20. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

DHK,

I worship all the time at church and at home without falling on my face. Do you always fall on your face when worshiping and adoring the Lord God?

It is good you sit in a pew lest you fall backward.