1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Being "Young" and Southern Baptist?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jun 20, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is apparent that your hatred has deteriorated your reasonable thinking. You need to go back through your posts and take a look at them. They lack coherence. God Bless

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I went back and reread the posts. All I can see is that what I have written is absolutely true and your refusal to consider the facts.

What is it that you see as false and a lie?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You mean that you have never known Southern Baptists who hold to SBC doctrine and are as loyal to the SBC even when it is wrong as the Catholics are to the pope even when he is wrong?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two fundamental errors in this statement:
    1. The convention exists for cooperation between local churches of like faith and practice, not for a loose association of churches who can only agree on elementary doctrines.
    2. What is here called "minor" are only minor to those who have no desire nor intent to obey the Apostle's admonition to leave elementary things and go on unto perfection.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a difference between unity and conformity. There is a diversity of beliefs within most local Southern Baptist congregations. That being the case then imagione trying to get everyone to hold the same exact doctrines. The RCC cannot even do that and they have a catechism.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't believe the apostles advocated focusing on secondary issues to the extent that Christ's Church became splintered and ineffectual. They also put most of their on making disciples and living the Christian life as exemplified by Christ. I don't believe that "perfection" was very high on their list.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe that you are absolutely right. Just think of the backgrounds of the apostles.

There are too many involved in preservation rather than dying to self and helping others grow. I simply cannot think of one church that I have known about, which died to self, and gave itself away that did not grow and God blessed. For example those who have an extra music leader should be giving to those who have none. Today there are to many wanting to protect their own turf. It is God's work so why should anybody squander resources? Everything that is done should be done to the glory of God not for man's glory or turf protection.

In Jn 17 Jesus prayed that we would be one. That does not mean we wil all dress alike and think alike but it does mean we will be unified. When we are focused on Christ it is impossible to see anything else.

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

preachinJesus, that's a wonderful testimony! :godisgood: In particular, our young pastor has come out saying the church is to win souls for Christ -- not grow them. It seem to be motivated by the declining statistics mentioned above.

But in reality, Eph 4:13 would say the church needs to grow believers. And I am very distressed with the lengths the church (SBC) goes to to "dumb down" the scriptures for the "emerging church" (it that is a correct reading of the situation).

skypair

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks to me like we might need to take a look at what is being taught in our seminaries again.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the church would make disciples it would have each disciple making disciples rather than being tied to the pastor. If each disciple made one disciple every two years on the average. Then that disciple will have reached 32,768 people at the end of thirty years by reaching one new person every two years.

Years - Number of people reached, 2 - 2, 4 - 4, 6 - 8, 8 - 16, 10 - 32, 12 - 64, 14 - 128, 16 - 256, 18 - 512, 20 - 1024, 22 - 2048, 24 - 4096, 26 - 8192, 28 - 16384, 30 - 32768

#50 gb93433, Jul 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It does not take a seminary degree to make disciples. It should be done in the churches. A person should have already made disciples before coming to seminary to prepare for being a pastor or leading others in a church. Every potential pastor should have already made disciples before even being considered. One of the problems in theological schools is the fact that every few professors are making disciples. They are program people coming up with programs. When professors are not making disciples they will not communicate that. They will only communicate what they know.

Jesus gave the program, the vision and the methodology.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have to agree.

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I agree as well.