1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Belief in the Five???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You might wanna reread what he typed. One of his questions asked "does faith save". Faith saves no one. Only grace through faith does.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Do you hold that the Scripture alone is the final authority of the believer, or are there other writings that should be included?

Sola Scriptua

The other writings show us how other Spirit-led men handled the authoritarian, inspired, inerrant text (or not...).

Do you hold that a sinner is saved by faith without regard to any human condition, status, merit, or ability?​

Sola fide
    Sola gratia
    Solus Christus
    Soli Deo gloria

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God...

Do you hold that salvation is granted to the sinner without regard to any work or purchase done by the sinner but totally upon the will and favor of God?​

Yes, see above.

Do you hold that salvation is solely based upon the Christ and that no sinner can make claim of salvation or heavenly reward apart from Christ? ​

Yes... Whom else can save except Christ? Whom else is both atonement and propitiation?

Do you hold that salvation and the believer's life is to be in all matters of conduct and living a declaration of God's glory - that no person should or has the right to be puffed up them self or others in any matter of pride or station?​

Of course. If we boast, we boast of Christ!

“But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
    "In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God."

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

As a card carrying rejector of Calvinism, and one who believes the scriptural truth regarding the "whosoever wills".. I agree with all of those statements.

#23 Alive in Christ, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Look closer @ question #2. It's asking if we are saved by faith. Faith saves absolutely zilch, nada, nil, zero, etc. Grace through faith does. Faith justifies, grace saves.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I read #2 the 1st time.

God draws everyone, and the "whosoever wills" are saved through faith in Christ alone, and NOT by works or merit. They are not predestined.

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes to the first part of the question( Underlined) and no to the second part.
    Yes

Yes. Though there is a requirement and that is faith and submission to the righteousness of God. Rom 10:1-4

Yes
    Yes
    Pride is sin.
    MB

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup:

Supernatural faith is the result of being saved, not the cause.

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True yet you cannot be saved with out it. You can't even have faith in Christ and not be saved. In factWe are saved by faith because faith is hope and we are saved by hope. Romans 8:24
    MB

#28 MB, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Would you be one who holds since Infants and small children cannot have that prerequsite faith required, they would ALL be lost?

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

God Elects, causing faith, brings salvation

NOT faith, salvation, then Election!

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

A Calvinisitic person would suggest that the faith is a gift of God, which the Scriptures confirm. In other words, by His grace we're given faith to believe. You left out that part and expected the rest of us to fall.

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that post I attempted to specify the distinction of the faith in comparing the two views.

In one view, faith is available and capable to be exercised by all irregardless of the fallen condition, and therefore, God is obliged to favorably accept that which fallen man conjures up.

The other view is that the unmerited favor of God saves the believer through the faith that God has gifted that no part of the fallen man will ever enter the presence of God. That it is to the Father's glory.

Within the statement the words, "the unmerited favor of God (definition of grace) does measure and instal the faith into the sinner is saving faith or salvation" may not have been as strong as I intended.

Thanks for letting me make the distinction even more clear. :)

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Make the distinction as clearly as you wish. It helps the rest of us to understand where you stand in relationship to the Scriptures which reveal that faith is a gift of God by God's grace to the lost sinner.

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Like the Jews I believe in the age of accountability. Christ said we must be like little children to enter the kingdom, they all ready are like little children. Children have a wonderful means of trust they are drawn to those who pay attention to them. They trust very quickly and seldom hold grudges. They know how to love with out predjudice and are willing to love anyone.
    MB

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That is well and good... Can you cite it from Scripture?

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what you would like but it seems clear to me that becoming as little children should be a goal for each of us.

Mat_18:3
    And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Christ also said;
    Mat_19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

I'm not trying to say this is proof that all children go to heaven but certainly it does show that those who do are like little children.
    Unlike some I believe my God to be a just God and there fore would not punish a child who has no understanding of right or wrong. If Children are sent to hell because they do not understand Then God would be unjust.
    MB

17. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

one area that many baptist cals disagree with calvin, his 'terrible truth" that some infants indeed will go to hell!

other being his take on infant baptism!

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So would a correct non-Calvinist. :)

True, but it is still without our ability to act upon faith or upon doubt/flesh. This is why Jesus 'ye of little faith, why did you doubt?' instead of "God, why didn't you grant them faith?"

Again, a gift doesn't need to be irresistibly applied for it to still be considered a Gift of God, so Calvinists are not unique in this claim.

What do we have that God hasn't granted us?

AND

What gracious gifts, abilities, and provisions of God to we fail to use, accept, or acknowledge?

19. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

If that is what you think Arminians believe no wonder you have rejected it. Wow.

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Comes full circle here...

What is the basis of our election in Christ?

And why would one even question God provoding salvation means unto thom whom he has chosen out of faithless whole of Humamnity, didn't he work same with keeping out a faithful remanant among apostate isreal in OT?