1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beliefs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Carico, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

???

Um, there were indeed people in a large percentage of the time zones at the time, more than enough to have some sleeping while others were working, which is what this scripture says happens, which would be impossible without a round earth; therefore it is clearly teaching a round earth.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No proof of this, and the rest is an argument from silence.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Webdog, you and I usually agree on most things, but I disagree with you here. The whole world was populated at the time of Christ, there were people in the America's at this time, but they were not known by those in Europe and Asia. Nevertheless, people were on every continent except Antarctica.

#123 Winman, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think this can be proven one way or the other, hence it is speculation...like what I did :) I don't think the need existed to leave far from the region, particularly on foot.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's incorrect to say that the "whole world" was populated at the time of Christ. Most of the world was actually devoid of humans. For example, although Native Americans first came to North America about 10,000 years ago, their population was relatively sparse and isolated in comparison to the land mass of North America. Sure, there were isolated pockes of "dense" villages (several hundred) here and there, but as a whole, they were sparse.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So, they don't count as people?

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

We have archaeological proof that people were in China at the time of Christ.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...we also have archaeological "proof" we came from monkeys.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, we do not. We have facts, which some men use to try to demonstrate that we "evolved", and other men use to show that we did not.

In the case of China, we have the kind of proof we have for creation: a written account, by someone who was their. We do not have to rely on some secular scientists interpretation of the facts: their are preserved, written histories, going back farther than the time of Christ, many of which have actual dates on them.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You said the whole earth was fully populated. It was not. Most of the world was not populated, and some of it was sparsely populated.
    Uh, the author of Gen 1 wasn't present at the creation. But that's off-topic. It's academic that, during the time of Christ, China was being ruled under the Xin dynasty.

But that's neither here nor there. The fact is that the verse in question was not an attempt by Jesus to describe a spherical earth. To use the verse as a prooftext for scripture supporting a sperical earth is a misapplication of the verse. That fact is true whether Jesus knew the earth was spherical or not.

#130 Johnv, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2009
  11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Um, no I didn't. Read it again. I said that their were people in a large number of the time zones: more than enough for one person to be sleeping at night, while another was working the field at daytime.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sorry, it was Winman who sayd that the whole world was populated at the time of Christ, and I was responding to his point.