1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believe v. Faith and Repentence

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Jul 19, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Here is another one. For those of you who say that we monly need to believe, that neither faith nor repentence is involved in regeneration then I have this question.

Why is believing not works but faith and repentence are? And what is your scriptual reference.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't know who is suppposed to have said what on this issue, but, with all due respect, the question you are asking is flawed. Ther is no difference between believe and faith, other than one is the verb form, and the other is the noun, in the English language.

You simply cannot place two things that are the same as being different, any more than you can make two things that are different, be the same. "A" ="A"; "A" does not equal "B"!

Ed

3. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I think believing in God in the Bible is always indicated by a change in one's actions, attitudes and motives. Faith that doesn't produce works really is dead. On the other hand, flesh-driven "good" works without faith in Jesus are devilish and lead many straight to hell. We are saved by grace through faith (that evidences itself in our actions, attitudes and motives).

4. Jeep Dragon

Jeep Dragon Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes we seem to focus too much on what we think outward works should be from a Christian that we judge people's salvation based on what we think we should see in their works. Realize that there are multiple verses that one is saved by believing on the name of Jesus...period.
    Realize that one can grieve or quench the Holy Spirit. Faith without works is dead because if one believes that he should do good works and he doesn't do them, it shows that his faith is useless for the cause of Christ.

Belief in Jesus is not a work because it is ingrained into one's being. Upon hearing the Gospel or however the belief came about it came without needing to earn it. If one hears the truth one may not want to believe it, yet it makes too much sense to resist. One may struggle with wanting to believe it, yet believes it anyways.
    Try convincing yourself not to believe in Jesus. Can you do it or is it irresistibly ingrained into your logic so that you cannot get rid of it?

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Believing is not works cause Rom 4:5 says so -- "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

But I'm not sure faith and repentance are works either. Works are those things that appear in the flesh. What flesh is involved in repentance and faith? I believe that the first work is "confess with thy mouth" what is already in the heart (already saved), Rom 10:9-11.

skypair