1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Believers against the War

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Being a Welshman I think war would be very much your thing. :)
    Note Isn't it a British tradition to mix Christianity with war btw? I mean I look at the war in Sudan and the Boer War.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. It doesn't. The rules of international politics, warfare, and relations is its own animal. Plus, the rules are inconcistent, always changing, and often one-sided. It's unrealistic to think that there can be a "one size fits all" form of international relations.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Ok, my nation and my own family has a strong connection with the military, but when I became a Christian my whole outlook changed.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you. This war has nothing to do with Christianity. Save that by our good or bad behavior we can make a good or bad arguement for Christianity. The fact is this war has a lot to do with Islam and poverty than it does with Christianity.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poverty?.....

6. David Michael Harris

Yeah, Islam is a thorn eh! We need to expose this error and never put up with it.

Europe is getting very tired with it.

I read the other day that only 15% of the total Muslims are Arabs. Yet we seem to have a beef with the Arab nation.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On the flip side, my neighbors are Muslim, and proud Americans. The youngest son is a decorated officer (Army, I believe). He recently left for Afghanistan. He told me personally he was looking forward to fighting so that the Afghan people can enjoy the same freedoms we do. What a warrior!! I pray for his safety every day.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah the Taliban fighters often recruit from impovershed family who are fed up with their government (Ie Pakistan, and Afganistan, Palistine, and many other Arab nations) who they've been told are the puppets of the imperialist American society. They often get these people to join their cause by offering food and money to their families so poverty is very much a part of this war on terrorist.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And being a Brit you have my sympathies for not only have a large
    Asian community in your country but that your country has aquiessed to their demand that they are able to enforce Sheria law within their communities.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Thanks for the URL. I've signed up.

Doesn't matter if we were provoked. Every time I get on the freeway I am provoked. Should I blow the offender away or should I trust God for my safety?

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The war in Iraq is a moot point.

It's over and the troops will be coming home on schedule...

Unless Obama decides to alter the Bush plan.

With a liberal nutcase like Obama as C-i-C, there is no reason to believe he will ever do what is needed to bring the war to a successful conclusion. Giving Gen McChrystal only half the troops he requested , and taking months to make a decision, are leading indicators of his lack of leadership ability.

If we can't make a 100% committment to do what is necessary, then we should bring all our troops home immediately.

Even if we do, I'm confident that eventually we'll have to go back. The real enemy is terrorism, but Obama refuses to recognize that there is such a thing.

12. David Michael Harris

Thats a difficult area. Life goes on. What he believes he believes, I say pray that he comes to know Christ.

Abraham had two sons. Muslims are in error but they need not be, especially if they are Arabic.

Fascinating area this.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like both choices. But I'm pretty sure Christ would have me do the latter. :)

14. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Apples and oranges. If someone gives you the one finger salute on the highway, that's one thing and you should just let it go. If someone attacks you, your family, or your country it is okay to defend. While I respect the sincere convictions of those opposed to all war, I think there are some situations when military force can be justified.

15. David Michael Harris

Thats the joy of forums, expressing your views. We all need to correct if need be in a Godly manner. Which hardly ever happens. :) :jesus:

16. targus

targus New Member

Provoked to what?

Givinging them a dirty look?

Honking your horn?

Running them off the road?

Shooting them dead?

My point being that there are different circumstances which provoke different responses - some appropriate to the situation and some not.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

A dozen crazy people pulled off a raid and killed a couple of thousand people - out of 350 million people. We were nationally insulted, and, because it has been government policy since WW2 to keep the people in fear of everyone, anything, everything, the dozen crazy people managed to win the cheapest and shortest war in the history of the world!

These days, everything is "economic." In three hours the crazies put the US maybe $5 trillion in debt from which we may never recover. Is dumping a half trillion every year into foreign wars going to bail us out or make the problem worse. It was Afghanistan that was the final straw that broke the USSR, not Reagan's speech nor Star Wars.

It was the insult, not the deaths that get people all stirred up. If we cared about "saving American lives" we would make drunk driving a felony. FAt chance of that . . . drunk driving is our national sport. In my younger days, participated in it several times with 100% winning record.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Leave it to you to minimize, cheapen, and make light of 9/11.

Of course, I expect this from you.

Sickening. Even those not for the Iraq war should be offended at your stupid and insensitive remarks.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Thanks for making 9-11 and 12-07 trivial. Typical.
    Uh, most states have felony drunk driving laws which are strictly enforced. The fact that you got away with it doesn't make it less so. All it does is demonstrate your contempt for personal responsibility on the subject.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A great website. Thanks for the link.

As a believer I am against all unnecessary wars - such as the war in Iraq and now such as the war in Afghanistan has become.