1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Berean Proof the Nicene Creed of 381 A.D. Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hark, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just to reiterate, consider that David was not forsaken by God.

So to make Christ forsaken because He quotes David makes about as much sense as David being forsaken when wrote it.

John 8:29

King James Version (KJV)

29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Seeing that Christ came for the specific purpose of going to the Cross, we would have to understand that God was well pleased with the Work of the Cross, which is not a reason to abandon or forsake Him.

John 16:32

King James Version (KJV)

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

Again, here the forsaking of the disciples is tied to the Cross, for that is the hour in view. And the Father is said to be with Him.

And again, what we create is a concept of the Son of God ceasing to be God, which is an impossibility. This falls more into a pagan view of gods than it does our understanding of the One True God of Scripture.

God bless.

2. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still, three gospel accounts can't be wrong. So it sounds like something that you are having trouble accepting that part of scripture as you seem to infer that to mean as an impossibility about God as God.

Isaiah 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. 6 For the Lord hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God. 7 For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. 8 In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer.

See the left behind saints from the rapture in the above scripture?

As far as seeing what Christ went through for us in taking our sins upon Himself....

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I believe Christ had experienced a temporary separation from God the Father when He took our sins upon Himself that He felt forsaken.

I pray the Father will have me hug Him and kiss Him for what He has done for me when I see Him face to face.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forget about the Gospel accounts...either you believe David was forsaken or you don't. You are combatting what you yourself have already acknowledged...God at no time forsook David.

God bless.

4. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not about David. Either you believe Jesus's words that the Father had forsaken Him or you don't.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you say it was not about David?

The Psalm has application to David as well as being Messianic. That is why I asked, would you still see the Lord as being forsaken and separated from the Father if He had quoted the entire Psalm on the Cross.

And the simple fact is that David was not forsaken, this has a context of temporal perspective, not an eternal perspective. Just as events played out in David's life, and we do not see an end to his existence, though he is in dire straits, even so with the Cross, this is to be seen in the temporal perspective and relative to the temporal only.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you say it was not about David?

The Psalm has application to David as well as being Messianic. That is why I asked, would you still see the Lord as being forsaken and separated from the Father if He had quoted the entire Psalm on the Cross.

And the simple fact is that David was not forsaken, this has a context of temporal perspective, not an eternal perspective. Just as events played out in David's life, and we do not see an end to his existence, though he is in dire straits, even so with the Cross, this is to be seen in the temporal perspective and relative to the temporal only.

God bless.