1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Biographies and Why

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Stratiotes, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

The favorite characters in history makes me think about how our favorite
    characters are our favorites greatly because of what we have learned about them
    in biographies. With that in mind, what are some of your favorite biographies and
    why? Here's a few to start (I reserve the right to add more as I think of them ;) ):

Two T.J. Jackson works stand out in my mind for getting to the character of
    the man which led him to the works he did:
    Life and Campaigns
    by Dr. Dabney. And, Jackson by Dr. Robertson.

_George Castriot, Surnamed Scanderbeg, King of the Albanians_ by Clement Moore - out of print and
    very hard to find but well worth the search. As a side note of trivia, Moore is better known as the author
    of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas'. Moore brings with the story an in depth study
    in tactics along the way. One that looks good too and is on my list to read as soon as I can
    obtain a copy: Scanderbeg by
    Harry Hodkinson.

Lawrence of Arabia by B.H. Liddell Hart.
    Like the Scanderbeg biography, it is also a textbook on irregular warfare while also getting to the
    character of the man.

Count Belisarious by Graves which is historical fiction that captures the personality of
    the great Christian warrior, strategist, and statesman. For a more technical but brief biography,
    Strategy by B. H. Liddell Hart.

Forrest for the view of Forrest in the context of his times.
    Along the same lines, I liked Robert Henry's First With The Most.

I think of the scriptures as an autobiography of God and is best for it's revelation of
    God's character. The stories in the bible of historical characters are not so we will know those
    characters better but so that we will learn something about God as the agent in the events of their lives
    and personality. In that sense, all of history is a continuation of that story - all of history reveals
    to us something of God. It's why I think Christians of all people should appreciate history.

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I just got a copy of that one for Christmas, but I haven't gotten into it yet. I plan to start as soon as I finish George Marsden's biography of Jonathan Edwards.

Other biographies that I have read recently and recommend are Iain Murray's biography of Edwards (I like Marsden's but Murray's is better) and Merle D'Aubigne's fascinating biography of Oliver Cromwell, The Protector.

On a side note, I saw where a new biography is coming out of Dr. Dabney, from P&R Publishing I believe.

3. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

I read a biography of Dabney sometime ago by one of his contemporaries in the Army. It was interesting if you are interested in the life of Dabney but I can't say it was a "great" work. I'd be interested to read the new one you mentioned.

I'm glad you brought up Murray's bio of Edwards too. I also have the tape series on Edwards from RC Sproul's ministry done by Dr. Gerstner - I like it very much.

Sounds rather like we have similar heroes.

4. NateT

NateT Member

Drummonds bio on Spurgeon is great. Although, at over 1000 pages, its not what you'd call a "quick" read, but it is good

5. Turpius

Turpius New Member

I think most anything by B.H. Liddell Hart is good, as is Drummond on Spurgeon. Hard to pick a favorite with so many biogs to choose from!

6. delly

delly New Member

In 1988 my son was in a reenactment group and went with them to Gettysburg, PA for the 125th. reenactment of the battle. While there he purchased "They Called Him Stonewall" by Burke Davis as a gift for me because I have always been fascinated with Stonewall Jackson. The book is one of my prize possessions. I have read it many times over the years.

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have enjoyed "Belisarius" (and Graves' other fictional works) as well as "The Protector."

Other favorites include "American Caesar," William Manchester's biography of Douglas MacArthur; Manchester's multi-volume biography (sadly unfinished) of Churchill; and Robert Caro's continuing biography of Lyndon Johnson.

8. Kayla

Kayla New Member

I like the biography of Harry Truman by his daughter Margeret, actually it's about both of her parents, and it's a good inside look.

9. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I really enjoyed The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex, both by Edmund Morris. They have a very easy to read style, are full of details and are extensively footnoted with additional information and references. I wish he would complete the series and write about Teddy's time after being president before he gets too much older.

10. I am reading the biography of Harry Truman by David McCoullogh. Truman was far more talented than he was given credit for, it seems. Good book.

11. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

Truman may have had some leftist poltical leanings but, at the same time, he was the most historically astute man ever to hold the office...even more than the history professor, Wilson.

"The only thing new in the world is the history you dont' know." - Harry Truman