1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best debate comedy line...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by The Galatian, Oct 7, 2004.

1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

``Late Late Show with Tom Arnold'':

``Did you see the vice presidential debate? Didn't Dick Cheney and John Edwards look like Mr. Wilson and Dennis the Menace up there?''

2. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

That's funny, but not possible...Donald Rumsfeld is Mr. Wilson.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Parody of the debate between Bush and Kerry:

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What about historically speaking??? There was a special on MSNBC last night with Matthews and Brokaw about debates. They showed a lot clips. I thought two very funny ones were Reagan's quip about not exploiting his opponent's youth and inexperience and Bentson's quip about Quayle not being Jack Kennedy. Both were very funny moments.

And I thought, in watching that, how much debate had changed. When Reagan made that quote about Mondale, Mondale was laughing. It was very funny. Nowadays, there is just so much hate and rhetoric, rather than an actual discussion. Of course, I am not old enough to remember those days so perhaps my nostalgia is misdirected.

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Reagan's comment was a good one, for sure. But, I never understood what was so profound or witty about the "you're no Jack Kennedy" remark. It did not seem to me to have much wit or wisdom...just a smart-alec remark.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'd have to agree 100%. And Larry is right. Mondale was good humored enough to laugh. Of course, he was getting his brains beat in, but still, he was good-natured. Different Mondale showed up in the last senate debate where he took over for Sen Paul Wellstone and eventually lost to Norm Coleman.

8. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Bentsen made his JFK remark, Quayle should have said, "Thank you."

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I also remember in the Reagan-Carter debate when Reagan said "Well, there you go again." Maybe someone can put that quote in context as I dont remember why Uncle Ron said that.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Reagan said that about Carter accusation about medicare I think. Carter accused Reagan of not suppoorting medicare and Reagan said it was because he was supporting a similar proposal that he thought was better. They showed that clip last night.

I thought Bentson's remark was smart-aleck to be sure, not particularly profound or witty ... but ery funny to me.

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The funny part was that, as Carter predicted, Reagan attempted to reduce Medicare benefits. This led to the confrontation with Mondale four years later..

Pres. REAGAN (to Mr. Mondale]: You know, I wasn't going to say this at all, but I can't help it: there you go again. I don't have a plan to tax or increase taxes. I'm not going to increase taxes. I can understand why you are, Mr. Mondale, because as a senator you voted 16 times to increase taxes. Now, I believe that our problem has not been that anybody in our country is undertaxed. It's that government is overfed.

Vice Pres. MONDALE: Mr. President, you said, "There you go again," right? Remember the last time you said that?

Pres. REAGAN: Uh-huh.

Vice Pres. MONDALE: You said it when President Carter said that you were going to cut Medicare. And you said, "Oh no, there you go again," Mr. President. And what did you do right after the election? You went out and tried to cut $20 billion out of Medicare, and so when you say, "There you go again," people remember this, you know. And people remember that you signed the biggest tax increase in the history of California, and the biggest tax increase in the history of the United States, and what are you going to do? You've got a $260 billion deficit.You can't wish it away. You won't slow defense spending -- you refuse to do that.

Reagan had no response to that, he merely looked at the carpet.

It was true. And that was Mondale's one triumph in the debates.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a mere $260 billion in red ink?

12. Pennsylvania Jim

[​IMG]

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Huh? Quayle had just compared himself favorably with JFK, so that wouldn't have made any sense.

Remember how Quayle officiating at a spelling bee wrongly corrected a child's spelling of 'potato'? Ah, poor Quayle.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/quayle3.htm

http://www.rightgrrl.com/carolyn/potatoe.html

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

My favorite fake Quaylism was the one where he was supposed to have said that he wished he had studied Latin so he could talk to Latin Americans.

Like Gore and the Internet, and Ford's supposed clumsiness, Quayle seems to have been a magnet for false tales.

He's said some dumb things, but the dumbest sure isn't his failure to realize "potatoe" is the wrong spelling, especially, since the card he held was wrong.

I've often wondered if that teacher figured he was too dumb to notice, and set him up.

16. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Besides the unfortunate assasination, and the fact that he was the first and only Roman Catholic to hold the office, why is Kennedy treated like he was the greatsest president that ever lived? Does anyone think he was that great?