1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Freeware

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastork, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Trust in the Lord

Trust in the Lord New Member

Does anyone know of a firewall that works great...freeware

2. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Here are several listed at Nonags (all of which receive Nonags highest rating - six ducks):

Agnitum Outpost Firewall

"Description: Agnitum has released Outpost Firewall, a FREE, powerful personal firewall for Windows. Outpost Firewall gives peace of mind from any threats by cookies, banner ads, e-mail viruses, backdoors, spyware, crackers, adware, and virtually every other Internet danger. Unlike other personal firewalls, Outpost starts protecting against all kinds of internal and external attacks as soon as it's installed. This is the first firewall with an open architecture and support for plug-ins, so its capabilities can easily be extended by thousands of developers worldwide. Outpost protects your system from worm and virus attacks that arrive by e-mail. You can filter e-mails based upon their content, and Outpost will prevent dangerous attachments from executing. Outpost performs web filtering, allowing parents, educators, and businesses to exercise control over the content that is allowed to reach your computer. There is a privacy guard feature, as well as a plug-in that will block banner advertisements from your web pages. Users can get free updates to Outpost automatically, using the program's built-in update utility. With its open architecture and support for third-party plug-ins, Outpost's functionality can be expanded to detect and protect computers from new threats that may develop. Current plug-ins include modules that provide full privacy protection against all kinds of active elements in e-mail and on the web, blocking of banner advertisements and pop-up windows, protection of e-mail from dangerous attachments and worms, content filtering for parental control, and detection and protection from port scanning and intrusion. Inexperienced users will appreciate the ease of installation and ability to simply set Outpost's protection features." http://www.agnitum.com/download/

Kerio Personal Firewall

"Description: Great personal firewall that won't slow your computor down. Automatic stealth mode renders the desktop invisible to potential intruders. MD5 signature verification protects the computer from Trojan horses spoofing as trusted programs. Free for personal use. Easy to use. Try it!" http://www.kerio.com/products.html

Sygate Personal Firewall

"Description:FREE for personal use, Sygate Personal Firewall provides best of breed security in a user friendly interface, protecting your PC from hackers, trojans and DoS attacks. New features include full-ICS support, protocol driver level protection, enhanced logging, and more. Sygate Personal Firewall is the first FREE personal firewall to offer protection from malicious code intrusions, keeping the information on your PC safe and private. Sygate Personal Firewall is FREE for personal use and business users can purchase seat licenses starting at $39.95 for our Award-winning Sygate Personal Firewall PRO." http://soho.sygate.com/

ZoneAlarm

"Description: ZoneAlarm is the award-winning PC firewall that keeps your personal data and privacy safe from Internet hackers and data thieves. Shield your system with our proven, award-winning personal firewall. Keep hackers at bay with protection against worms, Trojans, spyware, and 46 types of malicious email attachments.." http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

I hope this has been helpful to you. [​IMG]

Pastork

3. Trust in the Lord

Trust in the Lord New Member

Pastork thank you very much for your help I did down load Agnitum Outpost Firewall
    and I am pleased with it so far....I have enjoyed this post as I have used alot of the downloads and again I say thanks for all of your help

4. Pastork

Pastork New Member

No problem, Trust. I am glad this thread was helpful. I hope you and others keep sharing the best freeware ideas. There have been a lot of good ones here! ;)

5. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Audacity is a great little tool. I've been using it for a few months now.

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I just downloaded Audacity this morning but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. It was highly recommended by Smart Computing (My favorite magazine).

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread grows so fast! Although I read most of it the other day, now a lot new has been added which I have not been able to read.

What I would like on my toolbar (or whatever that bar is called when the computer is first turned on) is the day of the week, the month, and the day of the month--such as Saturday, June 21.

Also, I would like a rectangle with the color of the alert from the Homeland Security Department with a word over the color telling the threat level that that particular color stands for.

To me that is more valuable than the temperature, which I did not install, because, as Cooper wrote about New York, here in Indiana the winters are freezing and the summers are scorching.

9. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Church Mouse Guy,

What operating system do you use? In Windows XP, e.g., all you have to do is place your cursor over the time in the bottom right hand corner, and the day and date will be displayed.

Tray Calendar Here is the description at the site:

"Tray Calendar is a freeware utility that I wrote after being amazed that

a.Microsoft did not bother to offer us a calender in the tray, and

b.People were charging good money for tiny little tray apps.

The idea is simple: Put the day of the month next to the clock in the system tray. It tells you todays date, and will update the number displayed when the date changes. 20 seconds after it starts it will reshuffle itself so that it is the right-most icon in the tray. This is useful if you put it in the "Startup" folder (so it starts automatically) because during startup other icons such as virus checkers and such may get between the calender and the clock.

The only options are that you can disable date checking, disable auto-shuffle, and you can change the auto-shuffle time. Right click on the date icon for the options dialog."

http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/traycalendar.asp

Homeland Security Threat Monitor

"The Homeland Security Threat Monitor is a small Windows application that runs in your system tray, showing the current terrorism threat level. It periodically checks to make sure the information is up to date by contacting the Department of Homeland Security web server.

Features
    Unobtrusive placement in the Windows tray.
    Several different icon styles.
    Blinking notification of increased threat level.
    Cooperates well with dial-up connections."

http://www.hewgill.com/threat/

I have not used either of these programs, but I thought I would look up a couple to suggest that you may want to check out. Personally, I don't see the need for either type of program. Please let us know if either of these programs are any good. [​IMG]

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastork, thanks for the nice answer and the details! It is hard to find someone who knows about computers.

I had forgotten about the screen tip when the cursor is on the time of day. I have Windows 98 Second Edition. I mostly use this computer to e-mail and post on two message boards as well as read the news. It was a bonus from an employer or I probably would never have had one. I enjoy it, but it confuses me. Right now I do not know how to open zip files. I have some books that refer me to winzip saying that Windows does not support opening zip files. So what should I do now? Do I have to buy something? I am as poor as a church mouse.

11. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

12. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Church Mouse Guy,

I just went and checked out ZipGenius at Nonags and Webattack. It received the highest rating at both sites, which means it must be a very good program.

If you have trouble with the link given by Colorado, then just download the latest version from Nonags ( http://www.nonags.com/nonags/ ) or Webattack ( http://www.webattack.com/get/zipgenius.shtml ).

13. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Mesly posted this site with third party freeware downloads for e-Sword in another thread, and I thought it would be good to include it in this thread as well, since e-Sword is one of the recommended freeware products in this thread:

http://www.dnspad.com/files/pafiledb.php

The site includes, among others, modules for the English Standard Version (and for the ESV notes), the New English Translation, and the KJV+ with tense,voice and mood for the Greek verbs and stem and mood for the Hebrew verbs (along with a new, compatible StrongsTVM).

There is also a little program available called Bible Import Tool, which will download any Bible version from BibleGateway, Crosswalk, or Diatheke. I used it to download both the NKJV and the NIV from BibleGateway. The program not only downloaded the Bible texts, but automatically converted them and installed them into e-Sword, along with the translation notes, which it installed as Commentary Notes.

[ June 28, 2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Pastork ]

14. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Folks,
    I know it's not truly a freeware program, but for anyone interested in the technical side of things, and in some expert evaluation of a lot of the freeware/shareware programs around,I would like to suggest subscribing to the "Langalist"

It's a free newsletter produced by a guy called Fred Langa, comes out usually twice weekly, and has heaps of useful stuff in it.

I've been reading it for about a year, and have learnt a lot from it.

Langa List ... http://www.langa.com/

Regards
    Bob

15. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

I will second the recommendation of The Langa List. I liked it so much that I upgraded to the paid PLUS edition.

16. Pastork

Pastork New Member

Have any of you heard of or tried Panda Quick Remover. Here is the description from WebAttack:

"Specialized virus removal-

This tool from panda Anti-Virus automatically repairs infections of "popular" worms and viruses and restores original system and registry configuration. Panda Quick Remover can currently detect and remove the following infections: BADTRANS, VOTE, SIRCAM, ANNA KOURNIKOVA, HELP, KAK WORM, NAVIDAD, SHELL SCRAP, KLEZ, NIMDA, FUNLOVE, COOL NOTEPAD, I LOVE YOU, MATRIX, PRETTY PARK, VERONA."

I would be interested in any feedback you all may have to give.

Pastork

17. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Extremely nice. A wonderful program.

18. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

What a great thread! lots of great information about shareware to download!!

I will check into e-sword.

I subscribe to Langa List and love it!!

19. LauraB

LauraB New Member

Here is another great studio tool that has a free version. It is great when I have to transpose music and helps me keep track.

N-Track Studio

20. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

For a small desktop calendar, try Pando Calendar from www.pandacorner.com.
    This is a Mac application (sorry, Windows users :( )
    It has an option that will put a reading from Spurgeon's "Faith's Checkbook" on your desktop everyday if you want. The fonts, colours, frames are changable. Highlights special days for you (no need to forget your Mother-in-law's birthday ever again)