1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Governor in the Country

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

And being a Florida resident for the past three years I have to agree!:thumbs:

THAT Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is "the best governor in America," says noted pundit Fred Barnes.

Writing in the Weekly Standard, Barnes - the publication's executive editor - said: "His record is the best. No other governor, Republican or Democrat, comes close."
    Among a number of achievements, Barnes writes, "Bush has presided over a booming economy with the highest rate of job creation in the country and an unemployment rate of 3 percent ... Florida has no state income tax, but Bush has nonetheless found a way to cut taxes every year of the eight he's been in office. Meanwhile, he's trimmed the state employment rolls by 11,000."
    Barnes also pointed to Bush's political leadership and his accomplishments regarding education, Medicaid and emergency management.
    Barnes quotes Donna Arduin, a state budget expert who has worked for four big-state Republican governors, as saying that Bush is "absolutely" the nation's premier governor. "He's principled, brilliant, willing to ignore his pollsters and say no to his friends," she declared.
    Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, agrees with Barnes and Arduin: "He's the best governor in the country." But Jeb won't be a candidate for president in 2008, according to Barnes - who also doubts Bush would accept an offer for the vice president's spot in 2008

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The Weekly Standard? Of course a neocon publication is going to sing the praises of another neocon. Jeb is a PNAC partner after all.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I dont care who the source is poncho, the facts speak for themselves.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Must Disagree

I say the best Governor in the nation is Mike Easley of North Carolina. However I am a bit biased....:laugh: :laugh: I am not serious about the best governor, btw. I have voted for him twice since the North Carolina Republican party seems to have no real candidates as of late. Sadly I think Easley has some ethics issues, though I must admit serious ignorance of local politics.

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/

On topic...they are setting Jeb Bush up for a White House run in '12.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Greg Pallast has alot of facts that speak for themselves also. Facts are facts right?

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry

If you are not giving credit to the Weekly Standard because it is "a neocon publication", then why do you quote a anti-Bush person to discredit the Weekly Standard's position?

Seems like a double standard to me.

If you can't use the Weekly Standard you can't use Pallast, since both have "a dog in the fight".

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Martin, this is too funny. When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was -- certainly not Mike Easley. Ok, I voted for him twice too (uhhhh do we have any competition?), but to say I've been happy would be a stretch.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Easley

==I don't think so. The Republican party of North Carolina has not done a good job putting up solid candidates to run against Easley. The last guy ('04) was awful. I watched a debate on tv and Easley crushed him. That is when I made my decision to, once again, vote for Easley. Even though Easley was not my "ideal candidate".

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Well, if your happy with him you can keep him. I know I was certainly glad to get rid of his brother as Governor here in Texas.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

He did a great job of turning the schools around while we lived there. Classes were smaller, more pay, and teachers did not have to put up with the nonsense they once did.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Well, I've tried using the actual documents a thousand times and got the same type of excuse. So what do we do now?

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And wasn't Jeb Bush the governor that allowed the murder of Terrie Shiavo?

Wow, if he is the best,I would hate to see the worst.
    Of course we have Mitch Daniels here. he is in a competition to set a new record for plummeting approval ratings!

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Terri Shiavo was brain dead long before they pulled the tube. I do not want the government jumping into personal family decisions like this.

But I believe you are mistaken, Dale. As I recall The Jebster DID intervene, but the courts over-ruled him and Congressional efforts to deny Mr. Shiavo's request to remove the feeding tube.

14. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

You are sadly mistaken!

What Bush did was to ruin the education process in Texas! While the things you say are true, you forgot one very important thing. After the "No Child Left Behind" program was enacted all the schools do is teach children how to pass the TASK test. I know, I taught school for five years during this time. If you don't believe me, ask someone who teaches school in Texas.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

While he is no longer a governor, my favorite was Gov. Ventura of Minnesota. He was a no-nonsense guy who understood the Constitution, and didn't govern to please any special interests.

16. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

If you all want to flip the coin and have the worst govenor you can have ours. Napalitano.

Bro Tony

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What I was trying to say before Martin got involved and noticed the double standard and tried to apply it to me, or some dog or whatever... I was asking you a question.

If you really believe what you say, then you must agree that facts from a liberal columnist are just as factual as if they were from a conservative columnist, or in the case of the Weekly Standard a neoliberal columnist.

So does the source of a fact matter to you now or doesn't it?

18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well I won't say ours is the best in the country, but I will point out that there was $6 BILLION extra dollars in our budget this year and we still have lower taxes than most of the country.

I think this puts Bob Riley as one of the best governors.

He's also on his way to being re-elected to a second term.

19. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I hear it is bad in AZ politics. I used to live there and my dad was regional campaign manager for Evan Mecham in '88.
    THings have gone downhill since they impeached him.

20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Have you ever notices that money is what always gets people elected?
    NO one cares if someone upholds the constitution, just if the money is good and the taxes are low.