1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best State HIstory book of twentieth century

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Erasmus, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

I guess you guys can tell I am probing you for your opinions on several matters. I have several papers to write and a book on Baptist history due sometime in the next few years. I find this group, for the most part, very well educated on Baptist history and thus a great place to gather information. I hope noone minds. My questions is who do you believe wrote the best Baptist history for a state in the 20th Century? I would place my vote with Wayne Flynt and his Alabama Baptist history. It is well-researched, documented, and covers all the aspects of Baptist life in Alabama. He also has a nice style that helps the text flow. Please give me your opinions? Let me add this, please write don't put this in the book, if you don't want me to possibly mention this conversation in a book.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our own Dr. Bob Griffin's book on Baptists in Wisconsin.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tennessee Baptists: A Comprehensive History 1779-1999 by Albert W. Wardin gets my vote. I believe this book is well-researched and well-documented. I especially like the fact that Dr. Wardin, although a Southern Baptist, includes substantial information about all Baptist bodies of the state. Many writers focus only on their own sub-group. There is nothing wrong with that - -- in fact it is to be expected. But since I am interested in learning about all Baptist bodies in a state (however "minor"), I am sometimes "put off" by the fact that these other Baptists are ignored.

I must qualify that by stating that I haven't read that many recent state histories. I tend to focus on my own and neighboring states, and the states where "we" (my ancestors) came from -- most directly Tennessee and Georgia. I also am "prejudiced" in favor of Dr. Wardin. Though we've never looked one another in the face, we have carried on a mail, telephone, and e-mail correspondence for probably 20 years. He has, IMO, far and away done the best work of classifying Baptists in the US -- making sense of the historical, doctrinal, and methodological diversity of Baptists in this country. BTW, Dr. Wardin is working on a new book about the Baptist "tribes" in America.

So, there you have my vote, for whatever it's worth (and a lot more info you didn't pay for!) [​IMG]

4. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

I have not read the Wisconsin book, but it has now been placed on my short list. Wardin's book is great and so is he. I am going over his book right now for an article on Tennessee Baptists and the Civil War. Thanks for the input.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob's Wisconsin book is good.

Speaking of Albert Wardin, I would put his Baptists in Oregon pretty high on my list. It is older - 1969 - so a lot has happened since then. Being from back here in the South, I had limited knowledge of Baptists on the west coast, and this book went a long way toward improving that knowledge.

6. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

Two years ago Baptist History and Heritage met in Oregon and Wardin was there. He did not present, but he provided a lot of perspective before and after sessions.