1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Systematic Theology Book?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by R. Lawson, Dec 29, 2010.

1. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have Chafer's Systematic Theology in Logos. However, I find Ryrie's Basic Theology to be Chafarian and easier to read. In other words, I think Ryrie's is better; he communicates a lot better than Chafer, too.

Is there any difference in theology between Ryrie and Chafer?:confused:

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #42 exscentric, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  3. CF1

CF1 New Member

I have these books:

Dispensational:

Chafer's Systematic Theology - it's 8 volumes are wordy but worthwhile once you get to his points. Chafer was president of Dallas Theological Seminary. Chafer studied under Scofield, who popularized Dispensationalism views of God's dealing with groups of people, with the Scofield Study Bible. Dispensationalism recognizes distinct ways and promises/coventants that God deals with groups (e.g. Israel and the church) in the OT and NT and is more in depth and advanced than simpler, less advanced, Covenant thought (in my opinion). Chafer is considered a moderate Calvinist or Calvinist by most, but he does not hold to the Covenant/New Covenant doctrines that most Reformed/Calvinist writers advocated. Here are quotes from Chafer's Systematic Theology about Reformed/Covenant doctrine.

Basic Theology by Ryrie - 1 volume is short and sweet but not as thorough as Chafer. Ryrie studied at Dallas Theological Seminary. I like to read Ryrie first and then Chafer later, to see deeper meanings from Chafer. Ryrie is like a summary.

Covenant/New Covenant/Reformed/Calvinistic:

Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem - compares his Reformed/Calvinist views to others and provides references to other views so you can buy their books and compare in their own words and search the scriptures like the Bereans did to see if it is so.

#43 CF1, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  4. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

5. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Grudem is only similar to Ryrie and Chafer because he is pre-mill. Ryrie and Chafer would disagree, however, on Grudem's view on post-trib.

Wasn't Ryrie President of DTS at one time?

6. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

No, Ryrie was not a president at DTS. They have only had 5 presidents in their 85 year history; Lewis Sperry Chafer, John Walvoord, Donald Campbell, Charles Swindoll, and Mark Bailey (current president).

7. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Thanks, RevGKG!:thumbs:

8. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

It is still available through LU, but it is $87 new. As I recall, it has been this price for years.

9. CF1

CF1 New Member

Ryrie was a professor at Dallas Theological Semiary at one time.

10. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Ah, that probably causedmy confusion -- my thinking that he was president instead of being a mere professor.:tonofbricks: